Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Jailbreaking Discussion - page 17

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/2537/t1353844-jailbreaking-discussion/17.htm

Author:   Vena
Date:   Feb 17, 11 at 1:55am (PST)
Subject:   re: Jailbreaking Discussion
-------------------------------------------
My ipod touch is a 2gen originally, but I have 4.2.1 software. Yet, it doesn't come with all the cool components of jailbreaking, so what should I use?

Author:   bob8294
Date:   Feb 17, 11 at 2:16am (PST)
TinyUmbrella to save your SHSH blobs, and redsn0w(whatever the latest build is) to jailbreak. Make sure you have the correct firmware on your computer as redsn0w requires it to jailbreak your iPod.
A appropriate alternative is greenp0ison, if redsn0w doesn't work for you.

Author:   bobbonew
Date:   Feb 18, 11 at 2:20am (PST)
I consider myself pretty computer literate - but jailbreaking makes my brain go

I've only ever jailbroken once, and it was when you could do it just by going to this URL on your iDevice: http://www.jailbreakme.com/ (so yepp still running 4.0.1).

Author:   LOD-squa
Date:   Feb 18, 11 at 3:09am (PST)
Its still easy, simply going into DFU and then running greenp0ison. It does everything for you.

Author:   Beta
Date:   Feb 18, 11 at 6:46am (PST)
It would be easy if greenp0ison worked. I've tried RC5 and RC6 but still no loader icon. Then I tried to install Cydia with redsn0w but it dosent support MC models.

Is there a redsn0w that supports MC models or is there another 4.2.1 untethered jailbreak??

Author:   ProudLoz
Date:   Feb 18, 11 at 7:09am (PST)
quote bobbonew
I consider myself pretty computer literate - but jailbreaking makes my brain go

I've only ever jailbroken once, and it was when you could do it just by going to this URL on your iDevice: http://www.jailbreakme.com/ (so yepp still running 4.0.1).
Haha, if you can read, you can do it. It's definitely easier if you're not preserving your baseband for an unlock. If you are, there are some additional steps that you need to take, but if you don't depend on it, just follow the guide and it should all go as planned.

Do not be scared, if something happens, that's what DFU and the Restore function is there for. It's impossible to brick an iPhone so you're good.

Wii Kid, as far as I remember, Greenpois0n and Redsn0w are able to jailbreak ALL devices that can run 4.2.1, I believe there is something you're not doing right.

Try this, restore the device to install a clean iOS. Then when you run Greenpois0n when it tells you to let go of the Sleep/Power button to get into DFU mode do so, BUT keep holding the HOME button and start the jailbreaking process. I know that sometimes Limera1n would glitch like that for me and one time I did have to do that. Others did report that Greenpois0n required the same thing during the jailbreak, maybe that's your problem.

Date:   Feb 18, 11 at 10:31am (PST)
It worked, but now when I try to install Cydia it says I don't have enough memory even though I have 1.28GB left. Any help?

Author:   Freeze
Date:   Feb 18, 11 at 10:41am (PST)
Is there anybody who can recommend some 'must have' Cydia apps?
I jailbroke yesterday and it didn't went smooth, so I restored. I consider jailbreaking again (so easy with greenp0ison indeed), but not without proper apps.

Just a quick notice: winterboard sounds really awesome, but my phone is in Dutch. For the icons to appear, your names have to be equal to English. Simply renaming the icons to their English equivalent doesn't work either so winterboard is a no-go for me...

Author:   ProudLoz
Date:   Feb 18, 11 at 1:29pm (PST)
quote Wii Kid
It worked, but now when I try to install Cydia it says I don't have enough memory even though I have 1.28GB left. Any help?
This is why I mentioned that it's essential to do it with a clean restore. Some small bugs like this occur and you're gonna have to redo it all over again. If you go anywhere it's recommended that you do a clean restore before you jailbreak.

quote Freeze
Is there anybody who can recommend some 'must have' Cydia apps?
I jailbroke yesterday and it didn't went smooth, so I restored. I consider jailbreaking again (so easy with greenp0ison indeed), but not without proper apps.

Just a quick notice: winterboard sounds really awesome, but my phone is in Dutch. For the icons to appear, your names have to be equal to English. Simply renaming the icons to their English equivalent doesn't work either so winterboard is a no-go for me...
I have plenty to recommend. Off the top of my head I would tell you to immediately get SBSettings and Winterboard to get you started. Since you already have Winterboard I'll assure you that your phone being Dutch will have nothing to do with you being unable to theme your phone. Everything should be exactly the same. The only time you'll run into problems is when you install widgets. Depending on the code, they'll need to translate some of the code to your language.

I believe you're a bit new to this too, so that's probably why you're having major problems. That's ok man, theming is unfortunately complicated at the moment because Winterboard has not been updated for 4.2.1 or 4.X in general to be honest. So you have to go into the pain staking process of "bundling" your icons one by one to get them properly themed. It's a bit of a hassle but it's worth it at the end. I recommend you visit the MacThemes.net forums there are a lot of popular themes there already packaged for you to install on your phone right away. Be aware though that if you're in 4.2.1 some new things changed and so some of your themes will look strange. There are fixes however, you just require a bit of digging around in the threads.

If you have questions about theming, feel free to PM me.

Now for other apps, I recommended biteSMS if you're a bit of a texting addict. The thing is so damn convenient. You get a trial of it for 14 days I believe and after that's up you either pay the full license for $12 (not sure about this) or you can opt to have it display ads in the app and you can use it forever and ever. The ads aren't disruptive at all and most of the time you won't be in the app anyways since you'll be using Quick Reply or Quick Compose most of the time. Which is THE reason to get this app anyways. The ability to reply on the actual Text Notification is great.

TetherMe is also another one I'd recommend specially if you have unlimited data on your phone AND if your device can upgrade to 4.3 in the future. This tweak costs $2 right now and it'll be $3 when 4.3 is released. What it does is it enables the native Tether function to work on your phone and it'll make sure that the data that you tether from the device is seeing as data being used by the phone and not another device. Currently, you can only tether to a PC through the USB cable or Bluetooth but once 4.3 is released you'll be able to use the Personal Hotspot feature which will act as a Wi-Fi router.

MiWi is another tethering app, it costs $20 and it can tether your data to other devices also but using adhoc, which means that not all devices will be able to connect with it just yet. This reason alone is why currently, TetherMe seems like the better option, and also because it's a lot cheaper.

My3G and 3GUnrestrictor are both apps that will make other apps think they're on Wi-Fi when in fact you're using 3G. This is mainly for apps that won't let you do certain functions unless you're on Wi-Fi, like say, Facetime, Uploading videos to YouTube, watching HD videos on Youtube and so on.

iFile is good to change certain files within the iPhone without connecting to SSH or your computer. It's also good for installing deb files that you'll find on the internet and not on Cydia.

Fast Copy is a tweak that removes the Copy/Paste delay that the regular iOS has.

I'd post more but I think these other tweaks aren't all that essential and there are more apps out there but they cost money and so I haven't experienced them myself just yet.

Date:   Feb 18, 11 at 2:45pm (PST)
I did a clean restore in the first place and I had the space problem but now I've restored again and the problem was fixed. I've finally Jailbroken!

Author:   humhkholo
Date:   Mar 01, 11 at 9:08pm (PST)
Hey ive been trying to jailbreak with redsn0w, but i keep coming up with it stuck on "Exploiting with limera1n"... what does this mean and how do i fix it>

Author:   bob8294
Date:   Mar 01, 11 at 11:31pm (PST)
Looking at what other users have said around the web, you may be trying to use the wrong firmware to jailbreak your iDevice with. Make sure the firmware you are uploading into redsn0w is for the correct model of iDevice, check this against the model number if you are unsure.

Author:   humhkholo
Date:   Mar 02, 11 at 3:06am (PST)
I finally got it i used greenp0ison instead....im jailbroken =)

Author:   Archangel
Date:   Mar 18, 11 at 7:02am (PST)
I'm going insane with this. I just want to find out how I can make my own apps and load them onto my iTouch. I've tried connecting via CuteFTP, I've tried jailbreaking, installing OpenSSH and Terminal, etc. Why the hell is this so complicated, I mean really. You'd think with app development the way it's going things would be more user-friendly.

Author:   Aurora
Date:   Mar 18, 11 at 9:13am (PST)
It is user friendly to develop apps. The unofficial ways aren't.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.