Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Failed To Upgrade Apps On iPhone, Now I Have Weird Gray Icons. - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/2537/t1352445-failed-to-upgrade-apps-on-iphone-have-weird-gray-icons/

Author:   Arietta
Date:   Apr 21, 09 at 12:00am (PST)
Subject:   Failed To Upgrade Apps On iPhone, Now I Have Weird Gray Icons.
-------------------------------------------
Hi guys.
Yesterday I was in a Wi-Fi Spot and the iTunes Store in the iPhone detected 5 updates for the iPhone. I managed to upgrade 2 of them, but the rest where just in the process of being updated. Unfortunately, I have no Wi-Fi in my house, so I left it there, and I though iTunes was going to upgrade the apps for me, but it didn't. So the next day (today), I connected the iPhone to my computer again, and when it synced come apps, it restarted itself. The result? The apps are completely corrupted (the three I couldn't upload), I can't delete them from the iPhone, and they won't go if I delete them in my computer.

Here is a pic. Check the first icon in the second row.

What can I do? I can't restore the iPhone because it is jailbroken.

Author:   beast009
Date:   Apr 21, 09 at 2:42am (PST)
Subject:   re: Failed To Upgrade Apps On iPhone, Now I Have Weird Gray Icons.
Are you trying to apply Apple app security updates to your jailbroken device? XD

You might need to change your SSH permissions, so that your device can process the updates. It's probably only set to apply unofficial updates, such as those from Cydia, right now. I'm willing to help you out if you want, I recently had to adjust my device permissions as well - in order to use applications downloaded from the Apple app store (and apply I think it was two updates).

Date:   Apr 21, 09 at 2:54am (PST)
quote beast009
Are you trying to apply Apple app security updates to your jailbroken device? XD
No .

Just tell me in what folders I need to change the devices. I don't use SSH because of the lack of Wi-Fi in my house, but I have a program called DiskAid that does the same thing.

Date:   Apr 21, 09 at 3:23am (PST)
Yeah, you need to change your files permissions so that your device will accept both Apple's and third party updates.
  1. Navigate to /private/var/mobile/ folder
  2. Set the permission of the Applications folder to 777 (make sure recursive is checked).
  3. Stay in the /private/var/mobile/ folder.
  4. Create a folder called "Documents" in the /private/var/mobile/ folder. Make sure to spell "Documents" correctly, with a capital "D".
  5. Set the permission to 777.
  6. Navigate to the root level and open the /Applications folder.
  7. Create a folder called "Documents" inside the /Applications folder and set permission to 777.
  8. Go to <root> /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileInstallation.framework
  9. Rename the file "MobileInstallation" to "MobileInstallation.bak" - this will backup your installation files.
  10. Download this patched MobileInstallation file: http://www.sendspace.com/file/pcrxy6 It's a safe download
  11. Place the patched file into the /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileInstallation.framework folder and set the permissions 775 for the patched MobileInstallation file.
  12. Finally, reboot your iPhone!
I think you said you were running a cracked 2.1 firmware when we talked over MSN. If not let me know and I'll get you the correct MobileInstallation file.

btw, nice theme

Date:   Apr 21, 09 at 4:00am (PST)
I will try changing the numbers around first. I am sure I did the whole MobileInstallation thing a while ago.
Will let you know what happens, the permissions have changed, apparently.

Thx about the theme comment, I made it myself .

Date:   Apr 21, 09 at 4:02am (PST)
Alright, do that. I believe one of the recent recommended update packages form Cydia cause my iPod to revert back to it's original permissions.

I don't know if that's what's happened with your device, but it's worth a shot.

Date:   Apr 21, 09 at 4:25am (PST)
Is there a way to download it without having Wi-Fi? Setting the permissions didn't work.

Date:   Apr 21, 09 at 4:37am (PST)
So was I correct in assuming you are using firmware 2.1? I've seen this problem before, and if changing the permissions didn't work you might have to restore the OS using a backup.

Date:   Apr 21, 09 at 4:40am (PST)
2.2 Actually D;.
That shouldn't mess with my Unlocking and with my Jailbreak, right?

Date:   Apr 21, 09 at 4:43am (PST)
2.2 OH.

Try changing the permissions again, but use this MobileInstallation file instead of the one I originally provided: http://www.mediafire.com/?qlymytng2go

Author:   Best Player Ever
Date:   Apr 21, 09 at 10:55pm (PST)
Since beast009 already helped you out with this, do you mind me asking why you have "Little Girl" on the top bar of your iPhone ?

Date:   Apr 22, 09 at 12:11am (PST)
That doesn't matter, really.

Date:   Apr 22, 09 at 1:50am (PST)
Ohh, sure .

Another way I recall fixing the gray icons is to reboot your iPhone, and have a good Wi-Fi connection, and wait.
I don't really know what happens, but it works sometimes.

Date:   Apr 22, 09 at 1:53am (PST)
I tried rebooting. Didn't work. Though my friend did something that allowed me to see the application name rather than "Waiting...", though I am not sure.

And like I said before, I don't have Wi-Fi, so anything that has to do with Wi-Fi is not really an option .

Date:   Apr 22, 09 at 1:55am (PST)
I mean, for me, rebooting it and waiting for a while usually works to fix that problem.

As long as you have some kind of connection, of course. Otherwise, I don't really know of a way to delete those gray icons.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.