Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Full iPod battery dies overnight EVEN WHEN TURNED OFF! - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/2537/t1306878-full-ipod-battery-dies-overnight-even-turned-off/

Author:   Jim Gittum
Date:   Jan 28, 09 at 2:20pm (PST)
Subject:   Full iPod battery dies overnight EVEN WHEN TURNED OFF!
-------------------------------------------
Black 80gig Video Ipod:

Background info:

The Ipod after fully charging can last around 8-10 hours of USE (straight music playing) so the battery seems to me like it is fine as it holds a nice long charge of use.

BUT when I turn it off fully charged as I go to sleep, it will be dead in the morning. Its like it uses the same amount of battery whether its playing music or turned off. Now I know its supposed to be using some battery because the pod is not fully 'off' but clearly it should not be dying at the same rate it is playing.

I have done the 5 Rs to no avail. I thought I had found the problem from an alarm I had set because on a different forum people said that can drain battery along with calender alarms. Made sure I had none of these turned on even tried the 5 Rs again and after all of this still no go.

Is the only explanation that my battery is dead? Then why does it hold such a long charge? And I would hate to buy a battery replacement only to find out that it is something else. It sucks because my warranty is long expired and I cant even post at the apple forums (unless I am just dumb and cant find the 'New Thread' button.

But does anyone have any solutions? It is REALLY bugging me.

Author:   DCRage
Date:   Jan 28, 09 at 4:47pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Full iPod battery dies overnight EVEN WHEN TURNED OFF!
It's possible the iPod is not really fully turned off. If the menu can still be seen on the screen it is not fully off and will quickly drain the battery. Resetting usually fixes this.

Author:   Jim Gittum
Date:   Jan 29, 09 at 9:24am (PST)
quote DCRage
It's possible the iPod is not really fully turned off. If the menu can still be seen on the screen it is not fully off and will quickly drain the battery. Resetting usually fixes this.
No it is def not anything as simple as that.

Author:   godofgame67
Date:   Jan 29, 09 at 10:40am (PST)
A similar thing happened to a friend of mine. He had his Ipod on a charge stand attached to his computer to play his music and he never took it off so it sat there for long periods of time and it fried the battery. Your battery may be fried as well. If it can't hold a charge, it may look full when you turn it off but it's dead the next mourning because it loses the charge overnight. All devices gradually lose a charge even when turned off. A fully charged cell phone will die in about a month even if it's turned off.

If all else fails take the receipt and exchange it.

Author:   DCRage
Date:   Jan 29, 09 at 11:35am (PST)
Likely too late for that. 5G iPods like this one (I have the same thing) were discontinued back in summer '07 when the Classic came out.

Author:   The Sombrero
Date:   Jan 30, 09 at 6:43am (PST)
Mine is also *bleep*ing up like this. It did last day ,when I was going to school. It did when I got home. What the heck is that? I've had it in the charger tonight, but if I didn't, it'd be dead.

Author:   killerkid22
Date:   Jan 30, 09 at 11:07am (PST)
i heard, that if you leave your ipod on the charger, for too long, it actually destroys the battery.

Date:   Jan 30, 09 at 2:10pm (PST)
quote killerkid22
i heard, that if you leave your ipod on the charger, for too long, it actually destroys the battery.
no, that's only if you put it on the charger while the battery is like, maybe 40% or more.

Author:   IHopeThisUserNameDoe
Date:   Feb 23, 09 at 11:36pm (PST)
This is why I stopped using my 5G (have a 30gig one) after it was replaced by apple it came with this same problem, works fine during test but dies overnight. I dealt with this 2 years ago and after apple refused to replace the ipod (ultimately they replaced a broken one with a lemon) I just went with a zen assuming the battery is fried.

Out of curiosity I revisited this problem a couple of weeks ago and ordered a replacement battery, did a successful replacement yet the problem persisted... I even had a new one sent since I thought it was a bat problem... replaced but the problem persists. So I'm 99% sure its not the battery, it might be something else, any advice on fixing this would be greatly appreciated.

Author:   SDUEH
Date:   Mar 08, 09 at 7:30pm (PST)
I have a 3G IPOD, got the battery replaced by Apple last year. Now it wont hold a charge overnight. SO.... I bought another battery & replaced it myself. Worked great for a few weeks. Now, same problem. It won't hold a charge overnight.

Any help is appreciated!

Author:   InDiGo
Date:   Mar 15, 09 at 2:39pm (PST)
Your problem, Jim, sounds like you've got a very minor battery leakage. Meaning energy just pours out sometimes cuz of how many times you've charged it. Electronics can only be charged a limited amount of time and after it has been charged 1000 times it starts to leak and malfunction.

SDEUH it would help if you can tell me you way of charging. Example: wall charger, computer charger, etc.

Date:   Mar 15, 09 at 4:42pm (PST)
I'm too busy to plug the ipod to the computer everytime I charge it. I have a wall charger.

Author:   SDUEH
Date:   Mar 15, 09 at 4:53pm (PST)
I charge through wall charger...
The battery I just bought through ebay was JUNK. One of the wires broke & that is why it wouldn't hold a charge. I got a refund and bought a new battery through IPODJUICE.com - It works great so far!

Author:   Icyfang
Date:   Apr 09, 11 at 10:46am (PST)
I had the same problem. Try to turn off your notifications. It's possible a notification turns up in the night, turning your device on, and draining the battery. Eventually the notification will disappear so when you turn your IPod on, the battery is low. This problem can also occur if you overcharge your battery.

Author:   Paranoid Android
Date:   Apr 09, 11 at 11:56am (PST)
That's odd... my only advice is to try double clicking the home button and closing all running apps. and make sure when you shut it off, you're shutting it off properly (holding the hold button blah blah blah), and storing your iPod in a warm place for the night.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.