Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: iPod Touch - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/2537/t1228185-ipod-touch/

Author:   The Slayer
Date:   Sep 04, 08 at 7:01am (PST)
Subject:   iPod Touch
-------------------------------------------
I'm thinking about getting an iPod touch soon, either the 8 or 16gb model. How is the video quality on it for movies? How much space would the average 2 hour movie take up? How is the wireless internet on it? I read that you only get about 5 hours of battery with wifi on.

The main reasons I want one is to watch videos on and wifi internet access, and I have about 1-2gb of music I'll put on it. I mostly just want some opinions on what some people think about it. I've heard that apple is suppose to release new models of some of their products later this month, so I'll wait until then to get one.

I'm not getting the iPhone because I dont want to buy the unlimited data plan and everything else I need for it. I do have AT&T if they do let people have the iphone with out making them pay for all the extra features.

Author:   DCRage
Date:   Sep 04, 08 at 9:14am (PST)
Subject:   re: iPod Touch
How much space would the average 2 hour movie take up?
About 1.3 GB. If the video quality for movies is the same as it is on the older iPods (I have a 5G video), it's quite good. They call it "near-DVD quality", only complaint I have is sometimes there's a little bit of color bleeding & brief pixelization at times in the backgrounds, but it's not a common thing.

Author:   Xenctuary
Date:   Sep 04, 08 at 7:42pm (PST)
Do not buy an iPod until after next Tuesday's Apple event!

Author:   Master of the VG
Date:   Sep 04, 08 at 10:43pm (PST)
The nano and iPod touch are rumored (lots of proof for the nano) to get updates but not much has been mentioned about the other iPods. It's a good idea to wait in any case.

Date:   Sep 05, 08 at 12:56am (PST)
quote The Slayer
I've heard that apple is suppose to release new models of some of their products later this month, so I'll wait until then to get one.

Any idea what the update for the Touch would be? I didnt see much about it on the mac rumors website.

Date:   Sep 05, 08 at 1:47am (PST)
It could also be just a new version of iTunes or even something MacBook-related and having nothing to do with iPods.

Date:   Sep 05, 08 at 1:16pm (PST)
It's definitely iPod related. The event name is "Let's Rock" and the invitation was sent out looking like the iPod user interface.

Date:   Sep 07, 08 at 2:42pm (PST)
quote MacRumors

[...] an image from outside the Yerba Buena Center in San Francisco where Apple will hold its "Let's Rock" media event on September 9th, 2008.

The large multi-story banner shows one of Apple's iPod silhouette ads clearly suggesting a major iPod-related event. Persistent rumors have predicted that Apple will introduce a tall iPod Nano, a new iPod Touch, as well as iTunes 8. There are also suggestions that Apple could introduce the 2.1 iPhone firmware with some previously unannounced features.

A few last minute tidbits:

- We've heard a few more reports of Apple telling reporters that this event will be a "big deal" and urging them to come. While it's hard to read too much into this sort of hype, it does not appear to be typical practice for Apple.
- DaringFireball suggests that there will be iPhone news at the event.
- While we won't be providing live web coverage, we will offer links to all available coverage as well as SMS updates via Twitter.
- The event will take place on September 9th, 2008 at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern.

Author:   Bri
Date:   Sep 07, 08 at 7:07pm (PST)

Hmm...

Keep in mind that this is just a rumor pic, don't believe anything until official announcement on Tuesday.

Believe it or not, I like the change, much better than the Nano right now, that screen is pathetically small.

My wish is for an improved iTouch with massive memory.

Date:   Sep 09, 08 at 9:58pm (PST)
Here's one big thing today that happened: NBC is back on iTunes! All NBC Universal shows that were yanked last year in a price dispute with Apple were put back up earlier today, and some shows also are available in HD. HD episodes are $2.99 each, they only play on PCs and Apple TVs but the price also includes an SD episode that plays on iPods and iPhones. Here's what seems to be the rest of it:
4G Nanos. 8 GB $149, 16 GB $199.

New Touches. 8 GB $229, 16 GB $299, 32 GB $399. iPhone 2.1 software upgrade available too.

iTunes 8. Free download.

4 new Shuffle colors.

120 GB Classic now available. $249. 80 & 160 GB may have been discontinued.

As noted above, NBC Universal has returned to the iTunes Store. The top 10 shows from before are now available, I'm happy because that means Battlestar Galactica is back and now I can get Season 4.

Author:   Master of the VG
Date:   Sep 09, 08 at 11:54pm (PST)
I like how the new nanos look better than the 3G look (tall and slender vs. short and stubby).

Date:   Sep 10, 08 at 4:24am (PST)
I like the built in speaker and volume control on the new touch! Now I just have to wait for newegg to get some in stock. I'm most likely going to go with the 16gb model, it seems to have enough space for me and dosnt cost too much.

Did it also get a price drop? The apple update thread shows that the new 16gb touch is $300, and newegg has the first model of it for $390.

Date:   Sep 10, 08 at 11:09am (PST)
I think they did, they used to be something like $300 and $400, respectively. The Shuffle also got a price cut to $49, the Classic's new model represents a price drop too-I would've expected a $300 price for the 120 GB.

Author:   Zash77
Date:   Sep 13, 08 at 3:49am (PST)
Do you have to pay for internet access on the iPod Touch?

Date:   Sep 13, 08 at 2:55pm (PST)
You need to be in range of a WiFi hotspot. It can be a personal private network, a free public network or a public network that requires payment.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.