Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Question about legal downloads and iTunes - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/2537/t1227959-question-about-legal-downloads-itunes/

Author:   ChiroVette
Date:   Sep 03, 08 at 8:42pm (PST)
Subject:   Question about legal downloads and iTunes
-------------------------------------------
Question:

I have a lot of music in my iTunes library and some of it was stuff downloaded by a friend. Now I can use his password and account info, but I would rather not do that. I would rather buy the material outright if I am going to have it on my PC and iPod.

The problem is that I have about 54GB worth of music, and a small percentage is stuff with his iTunes password associated with it. So let's say I click on a tune that I want to listen to. In these instances I am prompted with his email address and asked for his password.

Now my question is this: Is here a way to single out ALL the material in my itunes library that has his password associated with it AT ONE TIME? It is really arduous and laborious trying to click on tens of thousands of songs ONE AT A TIME before I can find out which came from his download and which came from CDs we both own.

It would be so much easier if I can sort the songs by what has his password associated with it and what doesn't. Then I can decide which songs/albums I want to purchase for myself and have the rights to, and which I don't care enough about to buy.

The thought of clicking on every song in my library one at a time and then tabulating some kind of a list makes me queasy.

Author:   0172
Date:   Sep 04, 08 at 1:06am (PST)
Subject:   re: Question about legal downloads and iTunes
Not that I can think of. If they have anything in common, you could possibly create a smart playlist.

Author:   silverhikari
Date:   Sep 04, 08 at 1:24am (PST)
You could mark thier comments with something like "Password Required", then make a Smart Playlist with those songs. It should still work, it did in version 6 at least.

Author:   Chiggins
Date:   Sep 04, 08 at 1:42am (PST)
quote silverhikari
You could mark thier comments with something like "Password Required", then make a Smart Playlist with those songs. It should still work, it did in version 6 at least.
But doing that would make him need to go through every one of his songs to find out which ones are from his friends account.

Author:   silverhikari
Date:   Sep 04, 08 at 2:55am (PST)
I never said it'd be easy, or quick. But it's the only way I can think of, and I haven't been able to use iTunes since 2006.

Besides, play one song that you know is Password locked, then just keep clicking "next song" until they're all done and marked. Make time to do it, a little every day. It'll be over before you know what happened.

Author:   ChiroVette
Date:   Sep 04, 08 at 4:06am (PST)
It actually isn't easy, and the tech support guy at iTunes walked me through it. Basically, you do have to first go into "View" then "View Options". You have to then make sure to check "kind" and then click okay. Then you create a smart playlist but you have to make sure that you choose "kind" in the frst field, "is" in the second field and type "protected AAC Audio File" in the third field.

This will create a playlist of ALL the songs that are protected by a password. Now I can sift through the whole playlist and just start deleting the ones I don't want, and pay for the ones I do.

Thanks guys!

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.