Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: considering on buying my 1st ipod - question about videos? - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/2537/t1197776-considering-on-buying-my-1st-ipod-question-about-videos/

Author:   Eitan
Date:   Jul 20, 08 at 5:05am (PST)
Subject:   considering on buying my 1st ipod - question about videos?
-------------------------------------------
hi,

im considering on buying ipod classic as my first ipod,
i understand that it does not supoort DIVx/Xvid movies - my question is:
how difficult is it to convert such files and transfer them to the ipod? and how do you do it?

thank you very much!

Author:   Stevebeoulve2
Date:   Jul 20, 08 at 5:11am (PST)
Subject:   re: considering on buying my 1st ipod - question about videos?
Well for one thing, never ever use the iTunes movies converters. It's horrible and the quality is really bad. You need a separate converter program that can convert DivX/xVid files into MP4 files. I'm sure there's some free converter out there.

The time it takes to convert those files depends on your computer's speed, how big the movie is, and what quality you want the movie to be in. Obviously if you have a slow computer and you're trying to convert a 2 hour movie and you want it to be at the highest quality possible, it's going to take a really long time. I have a rather slow computer, and when I convert episodes of my favorite shows [25 minutes long average] it takes about half an hour for a semi-decent quality movie. Remember, it doesn't have to be THAT great in quality because you're going to be watching it on your iPod anyways, which shrinks everything down. I have a regular 5G iPod so that's what I'm assuming you want to buy.

Author:   iamnot
Date:   Jul 22, 08 at 7:52pm (PST)

Man the quality of video depreciates but still i would advice you to buy it!!

Author:   Master of the VG
Date:   Jul 23, 08 at 4:06am (PST)
If the majority of your videos are Divx and Xvid, and you plan on playing a lot of videos on the iPod, I would suggest that you get another MP3 player that is compatible with those formats. Converting videos is time consuming and doesn't always work properly.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.