Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Library Reloaction Problems - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/2537/t1168017-library-reloaction-problems/

Author:   Special K
Date:   Jun 04, 08 at 10:35pm (PST)
Subject:   Library Reloaction Problems
-------------------------------------------
Well, a few months ago I reloacated my library to an external HD. When I updated iTunes, the library location reverted to my previous location on my internal HD. I, however, did not notice this as I do not often listen to music on my computer.

Anyways, I had imported some new music after I relocated my library to the External HD, and even more music after it had reverted. This leaves my library with a majority of my songs in both locations, with some songs only in a certain library.

I don't want to have to reload this music, so I was wondering if there is a way I can combine these libraries. I thought that re consolidating my current active library (internal HD) to the place where my other library is (external HD). Does anyone know if this will work?

If not, any other ideas?

Author:   Master of the VG
Date:   Jun 10, 08 at 1:46am (PST)
Subject:   re: Library Reloaction Problems
You should be able to consolidate your library (advanced -> consolidate) and then move it over to your external drive without any problems.

Author:   Special K
Date:   Jun 10, 08 at 2:06am (PST)
Subject:   re: Library Reloaction Problems
I probably should have specified that the songs that reside solely on my external HD have no file references. I mean to say that the song may show up in my library, but the file source points to a non existent file on my main internal HD. I think that this might still work, but I'm not sure what iTunes would do with the broken locations.

Thanks for you help though, but I did end up just redoing all the file locations manually through iTunes.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.