Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Battery Life? - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/2537/t1021052-battery-life/

Author:   monster_hunter666
Date:   Oct 17, 07 at 4:55am (PST)
Subject:   Battery Life?
-------------------------------------------
Hey could someone please tell me about how many full charges or years you could get out of the new 80gb classic before it ends up crapping itself and going dead?

Thanks in Advance

Author:   Alpha
Date:   Oct 17, 07 at 12:14pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Battery Life?
They don't really tend to 'die' anymore. you'll lose about 20% charge after a year's normal use, but that's normal for a li-ion cell

Author:   DCRage
Date:   Oct 17, 07 at 12:17pm (PST)
It really depends on how often you charge and re-charge it, but it's good now & then to use the battery until it fully discharges then recharge it completely. Supposedly that helps it hold more of a charge longer.

Date:   Oct 18, 07 at 9:14am (PST)
Ok then so instead of completely dying as years pass by their battery life just starts dipleating right? and eventually dies...

Author:   DCRage
Date:   Oct 18, 07 at 11:53am (PST)
Yeah, eventually. But this would normally take a long time, normally if they just sit on shelves and are never used this would probably be at least 5 years.

Author:   SonicHero12
Date:   Oct 18, 07 at 3:00pm (PST)
I've had mine for about a year and a half, and I already see a significant decrease in battery life. Here's a tip: Don't recharge it until it goes dead. Frequent recharging will deplete the battery faster. I should know, don't make the same mistake I did.:\

Date:   Oct 20, 07 at 6:11am (PST)
yea i used to do that with my old nano that was a bad mistake, when i get my classic though its gonna be wait till the battery goes dead and THEN charge it

Author:   Master of the VG
Date:   Oct 21, 07 at 3:58pm (PST)
Here's Apple's page on the iPod Battery.

quote SonicHero12
Here's a tip: Don't recharge it until it goes dead. Frequent recharging will deplete the battery faster.
Actually recharging the battery when it isn't depleted isn't what causes the battery to no longer hold a charge. That only happens with older NiCd batteries. As a matter of fact, Li-Ions aren't supposed to go below a certain voltage, so it has a circuit the shuts off the battery when it reaches a certain voltage. The age and how often a Lithium-Ion battery is used will determine how much of a charge it can hold.

The older a Li-Ion battery, the less of a charge it can hold. It doesn't matter if you don't use it, it ages. The number of times you recharge the battery does have an effect on the battery life as it will hold less and less of a charge for each full recharge (or equivalent in partial recharges). If the battery is hot, it will go through a charge faster than a colder one, so you'll have to recharge it more often causing the battery to lose charge quicker.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.