Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Rumor: EA and Microsoft strike next-gen exclusivity deal, announcement set for Durango reveal - page 2

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/24801/t1835744-rumor-ea-microsoft-strike-next-gen-exclusivity-deal-announcement-set-for-durango-reveal/2.htm

Author:   RabidChinaGirl
Date:   Feb 28, 13 at 1:19pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Rumor: EA and Microsoft strike next-gen exclusivity deal, announcement set for Durango reveal
-------------------------------------------
quote BlackLabel
It's the last code name leaked to the public and until we have word of a new code name or the official name it's easier to use Durango or 720, it's something gamers know at this point. I don't see the final console being called the Xbox Durango though, I could see it being called the Xbox Infinity or something a long those lines though.
I'm personally rather fond of the "Infinity" name. Hope they go with it. The "leaked" logo was nice too.

Author:   Phil Anselmo
Date:   Feb 28, 13 at 3:21pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Rumor: EA and Microsoft strike next-gen exclusivity deal, announcement set for Durango reveal
quote Tenklis
Lol how it is a stupid comment? It could very well be true. And good riddance to any console that tries to do something as invasive as put a camera in my living space to count how many people are in it. The 720 Does not seem to be offering anything new and exciting, And with the OUYA making its debut this year/Wii U/Ps4 looking better and better the xbox seems it could be on it's way out. And good riddance for the bs they are trying to pull with the new kinect.
Wait... what?

How is the purpose of Kinect to count the number of people in your living space? Do you realize how ridiculous you sound? And you do realize the PS4 comes with a similar camera, right? Also, how do you know what the 720 has to offer when very little information has been released about it?

You have to be like ten years old.

Author:   Northern49
Date:   Feb 28, 13 at 4:03pm (PST)
I don't get why people view exclusivity as something to be happy about. All it means is less options for you.

But I hope they just keep going with the 360 - 720 - 1080 - 1440 - etc. so we can blame Microsoft's spiral into oblivion on their obnoxious dizziness.

Author:   Tenklis
Date:   Feb 28, 13 at 4:29pm (PST)
quote Phil Anselmo
quote Tenklis
Lol how it is a stupid comment? It could very well be true. And good riddance to any console that tries to do something as invasive as put a camera in my living space to count how many people are in it. The 720 Does not seem to be offering anything new and exciting, And with the OUYA making its debut this year/Wii U/Ps4 looking better and better the xbox seems it could be on it's way out. And good riddance for the bs they are trying to pull with the new kinect.
Wait... what?

How is the purpose of Kinect to count the number of people in your living space? Do you realize how ridiculous you sound? And you do realize the PS4 comes with a similar camera, right? Also, how do you know what the 720 has to offer when very little information has been released about it?

You have to be like ten years old.
I never said that was the point of kinect, i detailed a "feature" of the kinect camera that can count how many people are in the room you are playing on. There has been information released or leaked on the 720 and obviously thats what im basing my opinion on at the moment for thats all i have to go on, In the future that could change.

Maybe it is you who is 10 years old, because you feel the need to resort to insults without adding any value to a conversation. You also seem to have poor reading skills.

Author:   lKasHl
Date:   Feb 28, 13 at 4:36pm (PST)
quote Phil Anselmo
How is the purpose of Kinect to count the number of people in your living space? Do you realize how ridiculous you sound?
Actually sounds pretty plausible to me, while its obviously not the purpose of the kinect, Microsoft (and many other companies) collect anonymous statistics all the time to better tailor their marketing strategies and products.

Whether the amount of users the kinect observes in particular is sent back to MS I cant say for sure, but it makes sense since it'd be relevant to determining whether the kinect crowd is a social bunch and subsequently tailoring games to their preference. Pretty sure if you check the EULA that all of us skip over, there'll be something about anonymous statistic submission.

Author:   Duncan Idaho
Date:   Feb 28, 13 at 4:39pm (PST)
quote Abyss Raider
Out of all the companies you could deal with, why would you choose EA? Microsoft, this is sad...
EA wanted to slap Origin on the Wii U nintendo said no, they all wanted from EA was pointers on how to improve their system, EA threw a tanrtrun and went to M$

Author:   Aussie Legend
Date:   Feb 28, 13 at 5:31pm (PST)
This is probably a deal over Respawn's new game (considering it is being made by ex-CoD guys, and Microsoft has such a hard on for CoD), I'd be surprised if it were about Battlefield but nothing is out of the question with Microsoft's money throwing ways.

Date:   Feb 28, 13 at 6:06pm (PST)
quote lKasHl
quote Phil Anselmo
How is the purpose of Kinect to count the number of people in your living space? Do you realize how ridiculous you sound?
Actually sounds pretty plausible to me, while its obviously not the purpose of the kinect, Microsoft (and many other companies) collect anonymous statistics all the time to better tailor their marketing strategies and products.

Whether the amount of users the kinect observes in particular is sent back to MS I cant say for sure, but it makes sense since it'd be relevant to determining whether the kinect crowd is a social bunch and subsequently tailoring games to their preference. Pretty sure if you check the EULA that all of us skip over, there'll be something about anonymous statistic submission.
Putting aside the fact that your post is pure conjecture, my point was as far as using the device to "intrude your living space", Sony could easily do the same with their camera device as well. It's just sounds like a ridiculous big brother conspiracy.

Date:   Feb 28, 13 at 9:01pm (PST)
quote Phil Anselmo
Putting aside the fact that your post is pure conjecture, my point was as far as using the device to "intrude your living space", Sony could easily do the same with their camera device as well. It's just sounds like a ridiculous big brother conspiracy.
Actually if you look at the order of the questions in your comment:
1. How is the purpose of Kinect to count the number of people in your living space?
2. Do you realize how ridiculous you sound?
3. And you do realize the PS4 comes with a similar camera, right?

So you were essentially saying that the ability of the kinect to potentially relay user numbers during a game session is ridiculous, the PS4's capacity to do the same was a secondary contention.

And as far as everything I said being conjecture, refer to this extract from the kinect EULA:

you "expressly authorize and consent to us accessing or disclosing information about you, including the content of your communications, in order to: (b) protect the rights or property of Microsoft, our partners, or our customers, including the enforcement of our agreements or policies governing your use of the Service."

I can't find the full EULA and I'm unlikely to be willing to sift through thousands of words of policies to prove a point, but you can imagine the broadness of the term "communications" working in conjunction with the privacy policies of Microsoft allowing for anonymous statistic collection.

You can see the same in windows http://wfp.microsoft.com/FAQ.aspx where the process is more transparent, largely because of the dominance and business clientèle it attracts.

Date:   Feb 28, 13 at 9:55pm (PST)
Ps4 has a similar camera yes, but it has not been stated that one of the "features" will be to count the people in the room. If you don't think thats a legit issue to have with the console, i don't know what to say to you.

Date:   Feb 28, 13 at 10:16pm (PST)
Also here is a link.

http://kotaku.com/5958307/this-kinect-patent-is-terrifying-wants-to-charge-you-for-license-violation

A patent filed by Microsoft last year, but only made public last week, wants to turn your Xbox 360's Kinect into an instrument via which large companies can monitor your media usage and, if you're found to be in violation of something, charge you for it.

Date:   Feb 28, 13 at 10:17pm (PST)
quote lKasHl
So you were essentially saying that the ability of the kinect to potentially relay user numbers during a game session is ridiculous, the PS4's capacity to do the same was a secondary contention.
Relay to where? To the software, or to some top secret evil Microsoft lab that has a master electric eye? This reminds me of that South Park episode...

quote lKasHl
And as far as everything I said being conjecture, refer to this extract from the kinect EULA:

you "expressly authorize and consent to us accessing or disclosing information about you, including the content of your communications, in order to: (b) protect the rights or property of Microsoft, our partners, or our customers, including the enforcement of our agreements or policies governing your use of the Service."
That's in the original Xbox Live EULA as well. And I'm willing to bet Sony has a similar clause. It's just to cover their ass. You can't call a company nowadays without them telling you you're being recorded. How is this any different? Just because a company reserves the right doesn't mean they're always utilizing it. And nothing you quoted suggested they're recording and collecting data using Kinect for marketing purposes.

quote Tenklis
Ps4 has a similar camera yes, but it has not been stated that one of the "features" will be to count the people in the room. If you don't think thats a legit issue to have with the console, i don't know what to say to you.
How do you think the camera tracks people without counting them? The first Kinect could track 6 people, but only the skeletal structure of 2. Kinect 2.0 will be able to do that with 6 people.

Date:   Mar 01, 13 at 12:22am (PST)
quote Phil Anselmo
Relay to where? To the software, or to some top secret evil Microsoft lab that has a master electric eye? This reminds me of that South Park episode...
At any location owned by microsoft presumably.

quote Phil Anselmo
That's in the original Xbox Live EULA as well. And I'm willing to bet Sony has a similar clause. It's just to cover their ass. You can't call a company nowadays without them telling you you're being recorded. How is this any different? Just because a company reserves the right doesn't mean they're always utilizing it. And nothing you quoted suggested they're recording and collecting data using Kinect for marketing purposes.
That may be so, but it doesn't dismiss the fact that the legal infrastructure is in place for them to track it whilst remaining within the confines of the law. I've never at any stage said that Microsoft is DEFINITELY tracking the amount of users, I just said its not "ridiculous" to imagine them doing so (as you asserted). Furthermore, if you look at how the majority of changes in Windows 8 were justified on the basis of statistics collected from customer machines its almost unimaginable that Microsoft wouldn't have a similar setup, especially on a product like the kinect that has low market penetration yet high potential and capital investment.

Author:   Shinobi_razor
Date:   Mar 01, 13 at 1:38am (PST)
but who honestly cares IF they are seeing how many people are in your living space? like whats the big deal really? its like the people whining about phone tapping. if you have something to hide, then of course you'll be upset. if you are clean and legit then whoopty-friggin-do. are they gonna be the least bit interested in the conversation you're having with your friend about your plans to go to the mall or where to go to lunch or whatever?

maybe if this was Nazi Germany and you were hiding Jews it would be different.

Date:   Mar 01, 13 at 3:07am (PST)
quote lKasHl
I've never at any stage said that Microsoft is DEFINITELY tracking the amount of users, I just said its not "ridiculous" to imagine them doing so (as you asserted).
So you're arguing just to argue semantics instead of looking at this from a rational standpoint. Gotcha.

quote Shinobi_razor
but who honestly cares IF they are seeing how many people are in your living space? like whats the big deal really? its like the people whining about phone tapping. if you have something to hide, then of course you'll be upset. if you are clean and legit then whoopty-friggin-do.
Agree with first point, disagree with phone tapping. But the fact that we're comparing a video game device to government phone tapping, from a rational view, is ridiculous. I'm done here haha

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.