Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: The "pay for a better service" argument for XBL - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/24801/t1767116-pay-for-better-service-argument-for-xbl/

Author:   Fury
Date:   Sep 26, 12 at 6:48pm (PST)
Subject:   The "pay for a better service" argument for XBL
-------------------------------------------
So the eternal argument between PSN and XBL fans always seems to boil down to this: is the money you pay for XBL worth the (arguably) better service? Normally, I go along with this. It makes sense that a company would put more effort into a service people pay for.

But often times I wonder, is XBL really better because we pay $5/month for it, or is it because Microsoft is, you know, a software company? They've been dealing in this stuff for 30+ years, already have a gazillion servers across the globe and are used to the model of updating UI and other user features very often in their desktop and mobile OS.

Meanwhile, Sony is historically a company known for its TVs, video players, etc.

Would the service actually go to crap if they weren't raking in money for it? I feel like whenever this argument is being made, the person is practically saying they would prefer to pay than to get it for free, just because they want it to be the best it can be. By the same logic, the service in theory would be significantly and noticeably better if we paid twice the amount, which I believe simply is not true.

If there were two Microsoft's, perhaps one being in some alternate universe or something, one with a paid model and one without, do you really think there would be a noticeable difference in the service? Would their entire approach change? After all, PSN has caught up in most aspects despite being free, and any negative comparisons could perhaps be explained due to not having the same ideals as Microsoft.

Personally, the only reason I don't mind paying is because it's really not that much to begin with. Otherwise, I'm basically just putting up with it for the sake of the games.

How do you guys see this?

Author:   The Hazard
Date:   Sep 26, 12 at 8:36pm (PST)
Subject:   re: The "pay for a better service" argument for XBL
quote Fury
By the same logic, the service in theory would be significantly and noticeably better if we paid twice the amount, which I believe simply is not true.
That part right there may be why, see; logically that's... a logical statement. But as you said it doesn't translate consistently to how it really is, now does it? There's plenty of products and services out there that don't follow proportional quality with cost, it's the stern reality and really it comes down to how they set the bar in the beginning. Sony chose to make it free, Microsoft decided to put a price on it. It is what it is.

Author:   CAGarber
Date:   Sep 30, 12 at 8:22pm (PST)
the $5 or whatever it is (it's trivial) bares no burden on my life, I could really care less. In the last two years XBOX Live has been a wonderful service, never ever had a problem with it at all. Suck it Sony... lol

Author:   DragoniteBallZ
Date:   Sep 30, 12 at 8:50pm (PST)
As far as playing online multiplayer goes, I do believe it's worth paying for better service. It also lowers abuse I think on multiplayer games. But as far as paying to be able to use apps like Netflix or facebook or the party chat, I think it's ridiculous Gold is required for that.

Other than the ability to play multiplayer, XBL Gold should match what PSN+'s privileges are.

Author:   Oblivion
Date:   Oct 01, 12 at 4:45am (PST)
I mean with paying, you're also more secure in a way. Just look at the guy who hacked the PSN and everyone was scared their credit card numbers were going to be stolen. I'm not saying it can't happen to XBL, but there's less of a chance of it happening.

I've had XBL for about 5 years, I've played both PS3 and 360 online. I have to say, running on the same network, the xbox runned smoother and less laggy. Granted, The Playstation has plenty of cool features such as Playstation Home, they also have amazing exclusives as well. I was a Playstation owner from PS1 to PS2 but when PS3 came out, it was too expensive for me. I ended up getting a 360 and loved it.

All my friends had a 360, so it was more enjoyable than if I had gotten a PS3 and played by myself. It's weird because I didn't personally own the original Xbox as a child, so I thought I would go towards the PS3 route. Either way, they're both good systems in their own way. It's all a matter of personal preference.

Author:   Seeker X
Date:   Oct 01, 12 at 5:07am (PST)
I got both systems so I think I can lend an opinion here. To be honest, there's virtually no difference in online quality when it comes to playing matches online. Games lag equally on both systems, it's your connection not the Network...so no, that's not an argument...don't even know where that argument even came from. Secondly, paying for Gold means not having your 360 turn into a giant door-stop, and that's a problem right there. Once you're Gold though, everything's fantastic, every online feature at your disposal such as party chatting and such. Being Silver is quite a different story though...there's really not much to do there other than playing Single player/split screen and maybe downloading and installing DLC...which is about it.

Being a Silver member is actually LESS than PSN's basic service which pretty much lets you use any and every other feature in the system. Then there's PS Plus, which is the PSN's VIP treatment...and when I mean VIP...I *bleep*ing mean VIP. I'm talking about practically guaranteed Beta access, exclusive/early content, huge discounts, free samples of PS3 games (as in, you download a game for free for an hour), and last but not least is the Instant Game Collection, which is when they give out free games monthly along with major discounts. A big example was last month's promo was that PS Plus members got Borderlands for free and could get the BL DLC bundle for a total of $10. I repeat, I got Borderlands AND ALL DLC's for a total of $10. I've also been able to download a SHITTON of Arcade games for free such as Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, Renegade Ops, BloodRayne Betrayal, Outland, etc (That's not mentioning all the other games that have come out in the past like InFamous 2, Assassin's Creed 2, Just Cause 2, etc). Only downfall to this is that the only way you can use the free stuff is if you are a Plus member...meaning once you lose the membership, you lose the game until you become a member again.

All in all, I think that by now the whole XBL "Gives a better service" doesn't really sound like much, especially since I'm paying the same price for the same subscription ($60 per year) and I've been getting MUCH better shit on Plus than with Gold.

Author:   Oblivion
Date:   Oct 02, 12 at 7:34am (PST)
quote Seeker X
Games lag equally on both systems, it's your connection not the Network...so no, that's not an argument...don't even know where that argument even came from.
Well when I was at my friends house and played both systems his connection to the host was much smoother and quicker on the 360. It could have been coincidence, such as the host's connection was garbage, or in another country but I'm not sure. I never said it was the network, I said the connection was smoother on the 360. Just to clarify things. Like I mentioned, I don't own a PS3 so I can't say I know this for sure, it was just an observation.

Date:   Oct 02, 12 at 2:39pm (PST)
quote Oblivion
Well when I was at my friends house and played both systems his connection to the host was much smoother and quicker on the 360. It could have been coincidence, such as the host's connection was garbage, or in another country but I'm not sure. I never said it was the network, I said the connection was smoother on the 360. Just to clarify things. Like I mentioned, I don't own a PS3 so I can't say I know this for sure, it was just an observation.
It's not just you though, I've heard that said like thousands of times in many forums before that I actually came to believe it. Then I play the same games online on both systems only to find out that they both have the exact same issues online. So it's either a bold faced lie or a popular misunderstanding.

Author:   fitted
Date:   Oct 09, 12 at 10:31am (PST)
There's quite a difference between the two, at least for me and my experiences. I was a PS3 user for about 3 years, suffering from online lag in the evenings with most of my multiplayer games, not to mention the whole online experience just seemed slow and sluggish in general to me. I then bought a 360 because most of my mates have them and don't regret it for a moment. There's no lag and it all feels much snappier and smoother than PSN, not to mention there seems to be more features that I prefer. I still have my PS3 for some exclusives, but really it just sits there collecting dust now and I don't see myself going back ever. When it comes to XBL, to me, you really do get what you pay for.

Author:   Shinobi_razor
Date:   Oct 09, 12 at 12:11pm (PST)
PSN+ is dumb for the fact that if you stop the subscription you lose access to all the free games you got. I'd much rather be able to play the games I paid for once than having to continually pay to play them, like a monthly fee.

Author:   LOD-squa
Date:   Oct 09, 12 at 2:55pm (PST)
I give this one to Shinobi_razor I had playstation plus for a while and I hated the fact that I lost access to the free stuff I got. I was completely disappointed and was turned off by it, which is one of the main reasons as to why I stay on XBL.

Date:   Oct 09, 12 at 4:57pm (PST)
I'd like to know what games actually have different online experiences so I can find out. So far games like Borderlands; like both versions had awful co-op stability while voice chatting was abysmal especially during loading screens (exact same problems), any Call of Duty game performed exactly the same (smooth, with occasional bouts of lag hiccups when my network was backed up) but god-awful with co-op stability. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 on both systems also had the same *bleep*ing issues with constant lags and disconnections before DICE finally did something about it.

I mean seriously, I'd like to believe that paying my Gold subscription would be worth something other than having basic access like talking to my friends in Party chat or even playing online but I don't really see it. Especially since PS3 has Online only/focused games like MAG or Starhawk which surprisingly run smoothly enough to NOT lag despite the large number of players. And I'm on the Xbox Rewards program as well and while I appreciate the free WHOLE 20 MSP I was given as a B-day month bonus and 2% discount (and only after you have 25000+ GP)....it's not much in comparison.

And while it would've been a good point that losing the Plus benefits at the end of the subscription is a big con...in reality it is farther from the truth. We are already paying a $60 a year subscription to have access to online features on the Xbox, PS Plus is an optional upgrade in which gives you all the features I mentioned above (like Beta access and up to 10+% discounts) as well as free games. Now I dunno about you but 3 to 4 games free per month is not a downfall (remember I mentioned getting Borderlands for free?). I would personally demand that Microsoft step up their game, adding AT LEAST some free Games on Demand, because they're EXTREMELY expensive or better discounts or SOMETHING other than access to the best features of the system.

Author:   Shinobi_razor
Date:   Oct 09, 12 at 5:29pm (PST)
alright lets agree to disagree before this thread turns into yet another needless system war.

Date:   Oct 09, 12 at 7:23pm (PST)
Fine but make no mistake, this is not a mindless system bashing. This is a comparison of benefits from someone who's still actively using BOTH systems (my Gamercard is constantly updated with recently played games) and comparing which one gives more bang for their buck. I don't care for preferences or fanaticism, I have more than enough experience with both Networks and I've literally poured enough evidence and examples to back up my statements. I get it if it pisses people off...but I know I'm not lying.

Author:   fitted
Date:   Oct 10, 12 at 2:30am (PST)
Well for me, it was Modern Warfare 2. It was completely unplayable in the evening for me on PS3, no matter what game I joined or if I reset my router, it was just ridiculous. But when I got a 360 and the same game, every game I joined was smooth and has been to this day. I don't really recall any other games being that bad on PS3, but everything else about it just felt slow. I went on there not long ago for some Uncharted 3 online and it seemed to take forever to get into a game, maybe it was just that, I don't know but I wasn't on there long for that reason.

I also forgot something else, the goddamn system and game updates..

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.