Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: WHAT GAME SHOULD I BUY? Episode 3: Revenge of the Nerds - page 3

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/24801/t1562832-game-should-buy-episode-3-revenge-of-nerds/3.htm

Author:   screamingabdabs
Date:   Aug 29, 10 at 8:57pm (PST)
Subject:   re: WHAT GAME SHOULD I BUY? Episode 3: Revenge of the Nerds
-------------------------------------------
I salute you for owning Risen.

Take your pick from:

Tales of Vesperia
Two Worlds
Crackdown
GTA IV
Just Cause 2

Author:   Aevers
Date:   Sep 01, 10 at 7:03am (PST)
Eww Two Worlds

I'd recommend Nier if you're planning on doing all the sidequests and want to get the best ending.

Definitely seconding Tales Of Vesperia. Great game.

quote Shinobi_razor
well Blue Dragon is probably the second longest 360 game next to Lost Odyssey. its 3 discs and the story apparently lasts over 100 hours
It's only 30 hours long.

Author:   Shinobi_razor
Date:   Sep 01, 10 at 8:17pm (PST)
30 hours? seriously? how can it be 3 discs and only 30 hours?

Author:   sephiroth_campbell
Date:   Sep 03, 10 at 12:43pm (PST)
quote Shinobi_razor
30 hours? seriously? how can it be 3 discs and only 30 hours?
i think he means it can be done in 30 hours
i did FFXIII in 38 hours but aparantly its 60+ hours of gameplay

im wondering what game to get next im a fan of rpgs and action but have most of the games here such as

red dead redemption
all CoD's
final fantasy XI and XIII
bayonetta
splinter cell:conviction
batman:arkham asylum
oblivion
mass effect 1+2
fallout 3
toy story 3
skate 3
transformefs war of cybertron
sniper ghost warrior
crackdown 2
assasins creed 1+2
shrek ever after

is there any new-ish games like these?
i only neeed it to last 'till halo reach comes out

cheers

Author:   screamingabdabs
Date:   Sep 03, 10 at 7:18pm (PST)
Well don't get an RPG if you only want it until Reach.

I recommend Wet or Bully: Scholarship Edition.

Date:   Sep 04, 10 at 12:31am (PST)
yeah Reach is almost out, and any RPG will take longer to beat than until Reach.

for the future though, i dont see Dragon Age on your list. thats a must have for RPG fans. its a great long RPG with a ton of DLC to choose from, if you like. DA2's gonna be out early next year and no doubt you will be able to transfer your character over like Mass Effect, seeing as how the same developers made it. Dragon Age is like a combination of Oblivion and Mass Effect.

Date:   Sep 04, 10 at 5:46am (PST)
^ to quickly correct some things i said about Dragon Age 2 in the last post:

• you play as a human named "Hawke" which can be male or female, but you can customize what he/she looks like as well as being warrior/mage/rogue
  • you can not transfer your DAO character to DA2, you do however transfer everything else. basically the choices you made in the 1st game, such as who died, who's still alive. no word on whether you will at some point run into an NPC version of your DAO character, provided they survived the final battle (that would be really sweet)
  • DA2 takes place over a period of 10 years. first part takes place 1 year before the events of DAO, then it jumps ahead at various intervals and towards the end is 10 years after the end of DAO
  • combat is said to be way more fluid and dynamic, they said melee combat has more of an action feel to it, so possibly that means maybe more of a somewhat DMC/God of War feel?
  • in game graphics and textures are supposed to be much better looking

i like the way they are going. now that you have an actual name, characters will call you Hawke instead of just "gray warden" all the time which just feels silly IMO. also, hopefully Hawke will actually talk this time, much like Shepard does in ME. overall looks like they are taking it down the ME path more, in regard to the character at least.

Date:   Sep 04, 10 at 12:32pm (PST)
    ill probably get wet then it seemed to be a good game thanks

whats dragon age like?
    also is the expansion worth the money you pay for it i was told it was a different game all together is this true?
    from what you have said it appears to be a good game and quite lengthy too which i like

Date:   Sep 04, 10 at 7:55pm (PST)
    like i said think of it like Oblivion mixed with Mass Effect. its not as big as Oblivion, the map you can explore is not that big (Oblivion is just ungodly huge), and there is no free roam like just being able to wander around the whole world. how it works is all the parts of the world are just little areas connected and you select where you want to go on your map (which looks similar to Oblivions map) and you basically fast travel to them. whats cool though is as you are traveling (it shows your progress from one place to another on the map) you can randomly be attacked, in which case you are on a small little map and have to fight some enemies or do some other thing, then once done you exit that area and you automatically go back to heading towards your original destination. there are quite a lot of different areas you can go to in the main game, plus several more if you get the various DLCs.

and it is pretty long, or it can be if you dont speed through it. i just beat it again and took 45-50 hours, and i still had lots of side quests i didnt do. in one part where you are doing stuff for the dwarves for the main quest, you can easily spend around 8 hours just on that part alone. then you also have to do the elves quest which is close to that long, the human one which is pretty cool (and you get to fight a dragon at the end of that if you wish), and then a couple more quests to finish up the game that take a while. hell, the very first part of the game, which is called the "origin quest" where you first learn about the character you created, takes almost 2 hours in itself.

thats just the actual game itself. i havent bought any of the expansions yet that add more quests, but im going to once i have the extra money for them. my friend has told me they are all pretty fun. one of them even lets you play as the bad guys of the game.

heres a good review showing some gameplay

This message was edited by Shinobi_razor on Sep 04 2010.

Date:   Sep 04, 10 at 8:59pm (PST)
    dude thank you so much i really wanted a game like this but never wanted a life-taking one like WoW

ebay here i come!

thanks again

Author:   JugJug
    Date:   Sep 04, 10 at 10:36pm (PST)
    I'm sort of in a situation.

I want to get Fable II, since I can get Platinum Hits for 19.99.

I am also not sure to get Lost Odyssey, I have a craving for RPG's lately.

I already have FFXIII for those that will ask.

Date:   Sep 04, 10 at 11:01pm (PST)
    from what i played of fable 2 it was'nt really that good the only thing is
    compared to fable 1 you can do more ALOT more but the story isn't as great unfortunatley
    on the other hand it is a passport for achievments if you're into that kinda thing

but imo lost odyssey is a milestone better than most RPG's on the xbox market only a select few step up to the mark
    its entertainging and you get really caught up in the story too
    also it can be quite challenging as it goes back to 'old' RPG standards....id call it a true ps1 RPG with better graphics and trimmings

persoinally i'd go for lost odessey from what i gathered its a better game

Date:   Sep 04, 10 at 11:07pm (PST)
    no problem sephiroth.

BTW, mages are godly in Dragon Age. on top of being able to do spells, you can even pretty much be a kick ass warrior thanks to a spell called Combat Magic.

Author:   JugJug
    Date:   Sep 04, 10 at 11:11pm (PST)
    Thanks Sephiroth.

My question is, does Lost Odyssey have good music?

Date:   Sep 05, 10 at 4:50am (PST)
    woo-hoo legendary i know where to get tips now thanks
    i know who im comig to in times of trouble

id say the music in the actual fighting is good but the world map music is so-so its nowhere near as good as the black mages for the ff series but copable to play with

• Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
    All Rights Reserved.