Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Opening Ports Guide - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/24801/t1482522-opening-ports-guide/

Author:   Fury
Date:   Feb 07, 10 at 4:31pm (PST)
Subject:   Opening Ports Guide
-------------------------------------------
[ Forwarding Ports Guide ]

[ Table of Contents ]
Introduction

Finding Out Your Router's Gateway and Subnet Mask

Note: Apostrophe marks and quotations are for differentiating between what you are supposed to type or what you should see, and what is simply part of the directions. You do NOT type those into the fields, you just type in what is in-between them
  1. Go on any PC that is connected to the same router as your Xbox 360
  2. Hit the 'Start' button
  3. Click on 'Run' (alternatively, you can just press WindowKey-R on your keyboard)
  4. In the 'Run' window, type-in 'cmd'
  5. In the command prompt, type in 'ipconfig/all'
  6. A large list of numbers should pop-up.
  7. Find where it says "Default Gateway" and write it down somewhere for later. Do the same for the "Subnet Mask"
Setting a Static IP for Xbox 360

Note: if you plan on using "Alternative: Port Triggering" instead, then skip this step. You must have an IP assigned automatically by your router's DHCP server to use port triggering. Port forwarding and DMZ require you to have a static IP however.
  1. Go onto your Xbox 360
  2. Go to the "My Xbox" tab (post-NXE update).
  3. Go to "System Settings"
  4. Go to "Network Settings
  5. Go to "Configure Network"
  6. On the "Basic Settings" tab, click on the first box.
  7. It should prompt you to choose between "Automatic" and "Manual". Choose "Manual"
  8. Go ahead and enter the "Subnet Mask" IP you got from the last section into where it says "Subnet Mask" on your 360 (it's usually 255.255.255.0)
  9. Also enter the "Default Gateway" you got from the last section into where it says "Gateway" on your 360
  10. Okay now we're going to enter a static IP. This is important: you need to choose an IP that has all the same numbers as the "Default Gateway", except for the numbers after the last dot. If you don't do this, then the 360 won't be able to connect. Also, the number must be less than 254.

Accessing Your Router's Configuration Page
  1. Take the default gateway you obtained in the first section and type it into an internet browser on the address bar (Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, etc)
  2. You should be prompted for a username and password
  3. Refer to this nice little guide I found here for what your default username and password are. You can use the key combination Ctrl-F to quickly search the page for your router.

Forwarding Ports

1. Alright, now you are going to have to do a little navigation by yourself. As you can probably guess, each router's configuration page is different. These are some of the keywords you are looking for "Applications & Gaming", "Port Forwarding", and "NAT". You may have to enter some sort of 'expert' or 'advanced' mode to see these things, so don't be afraid to do so.
  2. Eventually, you should come across something that allows you to enter different port numbers/ranges and an IP address

For example, here is how it looks on my Linksys router:

If you are absolutely stuck trying to find it, then you may want to refer to portforward.com's guide. Their guides are a little vague, but they do include pictures to show you where to navigate to. Simply choose your router from their list, and you should be given a guide on how to access the port forwarding page on your specific router type.

3. Once you find this field, you'll need to enter the following ports:
    • TCP 80
    • UDP 88
    • UDP 3074
    • TCP 3074
    • UDP 53
    • TCP 53

4. If your router asks you for a "range" instead of just a single number (like mine does in the picture above), then just enter that same number in both fields.

5. Very important! Assign each of these ports to the static IP you gave your Xbox 360 in this section

Alternative: DMZ

Alternative: Port Triggering

Note: you must use DHCP with port triggering! Make sure the DHCP server on your router is enabled, and your network settings on your Xbox 360 are all set to 'Automatic'.

Closing Section

Author:   Zeta
Date:   Feb 07, 10 at 5:09pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Forwarding Ports Guide: Can't Connect, Strict/Moderate NAT, or Lag Poblems? Look Here! - General Xbox 360
Thanks a ton, I have gotten a new router but it has a strict NAT type so I had to use my old one. Thanks for the guide, will try fixing it later.

Author:   Milkenobi
Date:   Feb 08, 10 at 10:50am (PST)
Subject:   re: Opening Ports Guide
Port forwarding is no good when you have two different XBOX consoles on the same router cause one always remains as a strict NAT while the other is open. Then you have to do 'port triggering' and sometimes disable DMZ. Also, activating UPNP can allow two XBOX consoles to be open NAT.

It's all fun and games till you want 2 XBOXs on the same router with an open NAT.

Date:   Feb 08, 10 at 9:34pm (PST)
quote Milkenobi
Port forwarding is no good when you have two different XBOX consoles on the same router cause one always remains as a strict NAT while the other is open.
Why is that the case? I would think that as long as each one has it's own static IP, the ports for each IP would be forwarded independently of each other.

Author:   Milkenobi
Date:   Feb 09, 10 at 1:56am (PST)
quote KyLeDaWg
Why is that the case? I would think that as long as each one has it's own static IP, the ports for each IP would be forwarded independently of each other.
You'd think so huh? But it depends on the modem. Some do, most don't. There's a million threads out there you can research with people's solutions and it largely depends on what modem you have.

In some cases, a particular modem will just not let 2 xboxs be open NAT.

It took me half a day to get my 2 XBOXs in open NAT.

But for a single XBOX, port forwarding works like a charm.

Date:   Sep 07, 10 at 2:15am (PST)
Added a port triggering section. I've come to find out it may be the best NAT solution for XBL actually.

Author:   Shinobi_razor
Date:   Sep 07, 10 at 8:16am (PST)
nice. this needs a sticky.

Date:   Sep 07, 10 at 7:00pm (PST)
Just now seeing it?

But yeah, I appreciate it, thanks .

Author:   smarti3
Date:   Oct 28, 10 at 10:53pm (PST)
Thanks Fury.

Its a pain in the ass though as i changed my routers Username and Password but lost it. And my NAT setings are stuck on Moderate

Date:   Nov 04, 10 at 2:31am (PST)
quote smarti3
Thanks Fury.

Its a pain in the ass though as i changed my routers Username and Password but lost it. And my NAT setings are stuck on Moderate
Depends on the router, but they should all be capable of being reset to factory settings. Try searching for the procedure on Google for your particular router.

Author:   intoxication
Date:   Nov 12, 10 at 9:56pm (PST)
Okay, I am not very familiar this stuff so bare with me for a sec..

Basically, I am having problem connecting with some people on my friend list but they can connect to mine. Do I have to go through the whole thing or is there a certain step I can skip to.

Date:   Nov 15, 10 at 9:12pm (PST)
quote Intoxication
Okay, I am not very familiar this stuff so bare with me for a sec..

Basically, I am having problem connecting with some people on my friend list but they can connect to mine. Do I have to go through the whole thing or is there a certain step I can skip to.
Just read the part about how to access your router's config (if you don't already know how to), then use these ports in the Port Triggering section of your router's config page:

TCP 80
UDP 88
UDP 3074
TCP 3074
UDP 53
TCP 53

I've had the best luck with port triggering, though different things work for different people. Port triggering is also the easiest since you don't have to set a static IP for the 360.

Sorry for the late reply by the way. I never think to look at the stickied topics to be honest lol.

Date:   Nov 18, 10 at 11:33pm (PST)
It says that I can't connect because my NAT is on moderate. How do I change my NAT setting? and what to works best?

Date:   Nov 19, 10 at 12:09am (PST)
Is this before or after you tried port triggering? Because that should solve it.

Date:   Nov 19, 10 at 12:19am (PST)
I haven't done anything to it yet. I just thought that I post the error message first just in-case it's something as simple changing the setting without having to go through all that. I'm not of a tech guy so I didnt really want to have to do it unless I really have to, just in-case I made it worst.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.