Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: [Update #2] Squeal of Fortune - When you thought it couldn't get much worse... - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/2410/t1725068-update-2-squeal-of-fortune-you-thought-couldn-get-much-worse/

Author:   Zap
Date:   Apr 02, 12 at 1:08pm (PST)
Subject:   [Update #2] Squeal of Fortune - When you thought it couldn't get much worse...
-------------------------------------------
quote RuneScape.Com - Rules Rwt Section
We don’t want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn’t affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape.

Squeal of Fortune – Extra Spins

There are new ways to earn additional, free spins through playing RuneScape:
Being a RuneScape subscriber is another great way to get more chances to win. Members get 2 free daily spins rather than just 1, and have exclusive access to the D&Ds listed above. Also, members have access to 182 great quests!

If you require more spins, or simply prefer to save some time, you can purchase various spin packages. to do this, simply click the "buy spins" button within the Squeal of Fortune interface.

Finally, soon you will also be able to earn free Squeal spins as rewards for completing any quests. The team are working hard on this feature, and we expect to be able to provide it to you before the end of April.

When you spin the Squeal of Fortune, your free, daily spins will be used first, following by the spins you earned through RuneScape game-play. Finally, any purchased spins will always be used last. Here's an insider's tip - if you want to spin faster, just double-click the big, red button to stop the wheel early!

The RuneScape Team

Video showing the potential impact of this update with 75 Spins:
[Features (one sided) commentary]

The updates speaks for itself in what a shocking, and quite frankly a terrible turn in the wrong direction this is for JaGeX, and their deteriorating - if not already non-extinct insight and relationship with their player-base. I could rant much more, but I do not wish to provide too much bias to the opening of this Discussion as it is.
P.S - <3 Justin. <3

What are your thoughts on this? Over to you.

This message was edited on 2012-05-29T07:05:54-07:00.

Author:   Unseen Steal
Date:   Apr 02, 12 at 1:12pm (PST)
Subject:   re: [Update #2] Squeal of Fortune - When you thought it couldn't get much worse...
Probably one of the most controversial updates so far is the new update to Squeal of Fortune. The concept that you can buy spins means different things to different people. From what I've seen is

-JaGex encourages Real World Trading
-JaGex has effectively allowed you to buy 99s with real life money
-JaGex is encouraging gambling as a whole.

My opinion on the subject:

Now the first two are debatable either way, but I do see a problem with the last one. This game has a huge marketshare among teenagers; and most people started playing it around that age.

The maturity level for kids of that age as a whole isn't deemed high enough by most countries to be able to gamble legally. So why should JaGex be able to do it?

Other issues:

The biggest issue I see now with the system is how it is set-up. JaGex has it set up currently that you can save your credit card information. I may be wrong on this; but if your account is hacked that means that they could in fact affect your RuneScape bank account, but your Real Life one too.

Secondly, will JaGex create other content similar to this? Before all bought items (items such as the Katana which was obtained when buying membership) were basically cosmetic.

Author:   FluffySk1lls
Date:   Apr 02, 12 at 2:06pm (PST)
Subject:   re: [Update #2] Squeal of Fortune - When you thought it couldn't get much worse...
Really pathetic in my opinion, it's a bit funny, because they were against RWT'ers with selling accounts, yet you're able to buy more spins on the wheel now with cash .

I really think that the end is coming soon for RS, it sounds pretty awful, but like the saying goes, "all good things must come to an end."

I'll still play, but it's pretty depressing that the game is coming to this.

Author:   Wyan1234
Date:   Apr 02, 12 at 2:33pm (PST)
spending $20 on the spins is the equivalent of 4 hours of rcing for me... woo

Author:   Mike65707
Date:   Apr 02, 12 at 3:03pm (PST)
Or you could get 75 cabbages.

Author:   MSooRi
Date:   Apr 02, 12 at 5:16pm (PST)
This is honestly one of the worst updates in the game. Somebody could just buy one of their levels from 1-99 if they had the money to, which is just terrible.

quote Unseen Steal
Now the first two are debatable either way, but I do see a problem with the last one. This game has a huge marketshare among teenagers; and most people started playing it around that age.

The maturity level for kids of that age as a whole isn't deemed high enough by most countries to be able to gamble legally. So why should JaGex be able to do it?

Apparently Jagex doesn't consider this to be 'gambling' because you win an item every time.

This message was edited on 2012-04-03T07:06:24-07:00.

Author:   Misato
Date:   Apr 02, 12 at 5:23pm (PST)
I just wish I had a lot of money just lying around to buy spins. I don't want to train RuneCrafting and buying spins would be *much* easier and probably a helluva lot faster too than RuneCrafting. Bad update.

Author:   legendary one
Date:   Apr 02, 12 at 8:12pm (PST)
This update sucks. TBH the entire wheel thing is stupid in my opinion.

Author:   Coercion
Date:   Apr 02, 12 at 8:30pm (PST)
quote FluffySk1lls
Really pathetic in my opinion, it's a bit funny, because they were against RWT'ers with selling accounts, yet you're able to buy more spins on the wheel now with cash .
They got rid of all their competition while sustaining the facade that they care about the integrity of the game and don't want anyone to get unfair advantages, and then they turn around and start doing the exact thing they were fighting. Same thing goes for effigies they nuke em cuz people have unfair advantage but then they give the unfair advantage back, but at a profit to them.

Also, they knowingly made it extremely easy for kids to potentially max out their parents credit cards with the click of a button.

Date:   Apr 02, 12 at 8:48pm (PST)
I think it'd be just as easy, if not easier, to max their parent's credit card on Xbox Live than this.

Date:   Apr 03, 12 at 12:31am (PST)
True, but then xbox live is a much bigger corporation and you can expect greedy things like this from companies like that. I've always thought a little (<- key word) higher of Jagex than that.

Yes, Jagex has made some pretty bad blunder's in the past but those weren't even comparable to this hypocritical update.

Date:   Apr 03, 12 at 12:47am (PST)
Oh don't get me wrong. I completely agree this update is one of the worst. Just saying kids who max out parent's cards probably would do it in other ways anyway.

Date:   Apr 03, 12 at 9:38am (PST)
They could do it in other ways yeah, but Runescape is well known for it's less than mature players haha. Xbox live has a bit more mature fan-base (usually), also I think buying RS gold and items would be a lot more attractive to kids than buying xbl gamer points. So kids are more susceptible to spend more money on Runescape than Xbl in my opinion, although I'm sure it varies from person to person. Jagex should know how wrong it is to make it so easy for kids to steal hundreds of $ from their parents just because they want that GS or 10M stack they will never get.

-90% respect for Jagex.

Date:   Apr 03, 12 at 12:53pm (PST)
I guess it also depends on where you are lol. All my nephew's friends think "RS is gay" and instead play CoD or Flash games all the time.

Oh the future generation.

Author:   MSooRi
Date:   Apr 03, 12 at 8:06pm (PST)

SQUEALSCAPE

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.