Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: PSP Media Guide - page 2

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/23172/t861694-psp-media-guide/2.htm

Author:   Spiritual
Date:   May 17, 09 at 7:13pm (PST)
Subject:   re: PSP Media Guide
-------------------------------------------
I must be blind, but when I connect a USB cable from my PSP to my computer, it connects, and a window pops up saying, "open folders and files" and then I click it. Inside there's a folder that says "PSP". I open it and there are 6 folders:

COMMON
GAME
Pictures
RADIOPLAYER
SAVEDATA
SYSTEM

Now, I tried putting pictures in the pictures folder, but it won't work. I tried the stuff at the top, but there wasn't a "Memory Stick Duo" folder, so I tried other things. Help =(?

Author:   The Don
Date:   May 17, 09 at 7:24pm (PST)
See, well now that's the problem. The folder isn't supposed to be called "Pictures". Rename it to "PHOTO" and your images should start showing up.

Author:   Luigi Panache
Date:   May 26, 09 at 9:07pm (PST)
quote xpronic
:: MUSIC ::

Memory Stick PRO Duo cards will not play or record ATRAC3 or ATRAC3plus files.
Yes, yes they will. You need to get a little program called SonicStage free from Sony and use it to put your files on the PSP. I just started using Atrac3plus files, and they are of the same quality or better compared to .mp3 files. Plus, the PSP loads them faster.

Author:   Ville_Valo
Date:   May 27, 09 at 11:46pm (PST)
^ Why is that? What does it do exactly?
Edited the guide to include that, thanks Luigi!

Author:   Luigi Panache
Date:   May 28, 09 at 1:54am (PST)
quote Ville_Valo
Why is that? What does it do exactly?
Well, the audio quality studies that I read about found that an ATRAC3+ file at 64 kb/sec compression was of the same quality as an MP3 file at 128 kb/sec compression. The study, though done by an independent research company, was funded by Sony so I'm sure those numbers were inflated a bit.

Regardless, both ATRAC and MP3 are what we call "lossy" audio compression. If you compress a high quality music file (.wav for example) to MP3 or ATRAC, and then uncompress it, you lose some of the original music data. There are "lossless" compression formats (such as the ever-popular Free Lossless Audio Codec [FLAC for short])) that do not remove any data. These are often much larger than similarly compressed MP3 or ATRAC files, so they are not recommended for a portable device such as the PSP or iPod.

Both MP3 and ATRAC use different methods to trim the data down. I won't go into detail, but it often involves removing hard-to-detect nuances in the music. Since ATRAC seems to remove less of these nuances than MP3 files, it would be a better quality.

Regardless, I use it on my PSP because the PSP supports it very well. Unlike MP3 files, ATRAC3+ files are indexed by the PSP, so loading their ID3 tags (containing the Song Title, Artist, etc.) is very fast. Plus, if you have Magic Gate, you can copy music files in ATRAC format faster. I'll explain how that works later if anyone wants to know.

So, that's my two cents on ATRAC.

Date:   May 28, 09 at 3:13am (PST)
Sounds like it'd be harder if you have to use that SonicStage program, but if they're smaller and better quality it could be beneficial. Thanks Luigi!

Author:   Rokman
Date:   Jun 07, 09 at 11:48pm (PST)
Does anyone know what USB cable I should Get for my PSP?

I looked at Store Web sites they all look different

Date:   Jun 08, 09 at 1:29pm (PST)
It's called a USB Mini-B.

Author:   Spiritual
Date:   Jun 09, 09 at 11:56am (PST)

Author:   Xhizors
Date:   Jun 19, 09 at 8:17am (PST)
There is some things you need to take note of when you put videos on your PSP, like the resolution of the video.

Author:   AvengedAnger
Date:   Jun 22, 09 at 10:51pm (PST)
quote yugiRULER
Does anyone know any Mac programs that convert videos, for free?
I'm not sure if you could run it out but you may want to try Prism Video Converter... It is just a demo unless you want to pay but you can keep reusing the demo so it's all good.

quote Altaura
      I've tried for a few days now to upload videos, and put them on my USB. My video files are all .MP4 files, and some of them work, and some of them don't. Is there a specific reason?

I need a little more info then that... Could you provide some information as to how the files show up on your PSP. Does it show as "Corrupted File" or does it not even show... Just wondering to see if I could be of any use...

quote Altaura
I must be blind, but when I connect a USB cable from my PSP to my computer, it connects, and a window pops up saying, "open folders and files" and then I click it. Inside there's a folder that says "PSP". I open it and there are 6 folders:

COMMON
GAME
Pictures
RADIOPLAYER
SAVEDATA
SYSTEM

Now, I tried putting pictures in the pictures folder, but it won't work. I tried the stuff at the top, but there wasn't a "Memory Stick Duo" folder, so I tried other things. Help =(?

Where you open your "PSP" Folder in the main directory there should be a folder named "PHOTO" If there isn't make one and try putting your pictures in there.

Off note:

<--- Woo-Hoo! 100th Post.

Author:   Xhizors
Date:   Jun 23, 09 at 2:10am (PST)
quote AvengedAnger
quote yugiRULER
Does anyone know any Mac programs that convert videos, for free?
I'm not sure if you could run it out but you may want to try Prism Video Converter... It is just a demo unless you want to pay but you can keep reusing the demo so it's all good.

You could also try Wine. I know it's an emulator, but most of my Windows programs works on my copy of Kubuntu.

quote Altaura
      I've tried for a few days now to upload videos, and put them on my USB. My video files are all .MP4 files, and some of them work, and some of them don't. Is there a specific reason?

I need a little more info then that... Could you provide some information as to how the files show up on your PSP. Does it show as "Corrupted File" or does it not even show... Just wondering to see if I could be of any use...

If they show up as "Corrupted File", try converting them to a resolution that is something a little bit less than 480x272.

quote Altaura

COMMON
GAME
Pictures
RADIOPLAYER
SAVEDATA
SYSTEM

Where you open your "PSP" Folder in the main directory there should be a folder named "PHOTO" If there isn't make one and try putting your pictures in there.

My 'PICTURES' folder works too.

Off note:

<--- Woo-Hoo! 100th Post.[/size][/b]

Author:   RYAN LEE
Date:   Jun 01, 10 at 10:03pm (PST)
alright heres my problem. i have a bunch of cd's i downloaded to a usb device. when i sync the usb to windows media it has no problem playing them. but when i downloaded them to my psp it said it cant play files with copyright protection. anyone know a way around this?

and yes i actually bought the cd's to begin with...

Date:   Jun 01, 10 at 10:38pm (PST)
I think you'll have to convert them to another format using a converter...but even they spaz out sometimes when they see copyright protection.
I think there might be an option in media player to rip them with no copyright, or to MP3s which will stop the copyright protection, or something.

I've always hated that, you buy music and you can't play it on what you want to play it on. I usually just obtain it elsewhere after buying the CD, which is silly.

Author:   RYAN LEE
Date:   Jun 02, 10 at 7:10pm (PST)
ah yeah saw that the newest version of media player lets you convert to mp3 quite easily. thanks

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.