Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: 2012-2013 NBA Regular Season - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/23/t1783610-2012-2013-nba-regular-season/

Author:   Lesley Pro_04
Date:   Oct 29, 12 at 12:00am (PST)
Subject:   2012-2013 NBA Regular Season
-------------------------------------------
Previous Thread

The season starts tomorrow, and I'm putting this up now instead of later due to the pending hurricane, so any formatting will be done at another time once the hurricane has passed.

Last few posts for continuity reasons:

quote Demonfurby
It's smart. They would've had no flexibility in free agency if they signed him to a max deal. Now they can try to add to their team when Martin's contract is up. Hell, he may take a pay cut to stay with easily the best team he's ever been on and they would STILL have money to spend on a big name free agent. And that's only the financial side of it. Martin can play without the ball in his hands. What was the biggest problem with the Thunder's "big 3"? They ALL need the ball in order to be effective offensively. Getting rid of Harden frees up possessions for Durant and Westbrook and makes their offense more efficient.Nothing stupid about it. Trades like this is why the Thunder have the most promising future of any team in the league.

Plus Harden's a bitch and I'm going to enjoy watching him and Linn in the same backcourt.
quote Jecht44
Agreed, OKC got a steal out of that trade. Lamb is gonna flourish. The Lakers still dont have good 3 point shooting so Im praying whatever Mile Brown cooks up, perimeter defense is near the top of the list.
As for Lakers vs Heat if it does happen, the Lakers have some major advantages. Dwight is gonna destroy them in the paint UNLESS Lebron guards him (which is gonna happen). I expect Pau to play like the player we traded Kwame Brown for. With Nash spacing the floor and running the plays, Kobe and Pau can run off the ball and catch and shoot. Kobe is near unguardable when he gets to his hot spots. Wade will play good defense on him but Kobe when comfortable will score over anything. The key to the Lakers winning is keeping Lebron out the paint which Dwight is gonna do his best to avchieve. The one thing that worries me is the bench. We havent seen the full potential of this bench since the rotations are all wacky in preseason.. But if Jodie Meeks can remain consistent and Antwon Jamison can find his game, they could anchor the second unit well. Miami's bench has improved alot but really only specialize in spaced out shooting. I honestly cant form a proper opinion until I see how well both teams function in the first few months.
quote sublimetool
^ i always thought nash was a good 3-PT shooter, but yeah with him, kobe and dwight are gonna have hay-days...

pretty disappointed thunder couldn't cut a deal with Harden... even though he didn't do much in the finals this last season besides flop around and choke, but i liked him... haven't heard of Jeremy Lamb, and have never liked Kevin Martin, even when he was on the Kings, which is my team... him and shawn marion have the ugliest form when it comes to shooting a basketball, they seriously look like 6th graders putting one up
The season tips-off on Tuesday, October 30 with the Washington Wizards facing the Cleveland Cavaliers, the Boston Celtics taking on the Miami Heat, and the Dallas Mavericks going against the LA Lakers.

Good luck to all the teams--at least we get a full season of basketball this year!

Author:   tyranitar24
Date:   Oct 29, 12 at 2:40am (PST)
Subject:   re: 2012-2013 NBA Regular Season
It's going to take a long time to determine the winner of that Harden deal. Thunder are making a risky move, Harden may have been a ghost for the all of the Finals, but to not give them at least one more shot is kind of shocking to me.

Author:   Chaos Team
Date:   Oct 29, 12 at 4:14am (PST)
quote tyranitar24
It's going to take a long time to determine the winner of that Harden deal. Thunder are making a risky move, Harden may have been a ghost for the all of the Finals, but to not give them at least one more shot is kind of shocking to me.
Yeah that's the thing. It may seem smart or stupid now but we really can't know yet.

Author:   Ghetto Prince
Date:   Oct 29, 12 at 4:34am (PST)
quote Lesley Pro_04
at least we get a full season of basketball this year!
THIS! A MILLION TIMES!!!

Author:   Pedigree
Date:   Oct 29, 12 at 4:57am (PST)
Wow Harden @ Rockets. Seems so sudden. I would have expected one more attempt before splitting the team. OKC was brilliant in the previous season.

Author:   Demonfurby
Date:   Oct 29, 12 at 2:24pm (PST)
"One more attempt"?

My god overreact more. Harden was easily the most expendable piece on that team of all the big names. They still have Durant, Westbrook, Ibaka and Perkins. Now they have a shooter who doesn't need the ball to be effective. Harden does. Westbrook does. Durant does. Do you people not see how this is beneficial to the way the team is now going to play? You people are making it seem like they're going to be a four seed and lose in the first round.

Date:   Oct 30, 12 at 5:29pm (PST)
It has begun!!

Date:   Oct 30, 12 at 5:49pm (PST)
quote Demonfurby
"One more attempt"?

You people are making it seem like they're going to be a four seed and lose in the first round.
Now who's overreacting? No one implied anything even close to that lol.

Date:   Oct 30, 12 at 6:30pm (PST)
I would have expected one more attempt before splitting the team.
That's implying they're somehow starting over, which is ridiculous.

I don't know if there's a better center in the league than Varejao past Howard and Bynum. Dude is a monster on the glass and is a complete player in terms of scoring, rebounding, passing and defending. We need him healthy if we're going to have a chance at the eight seed. Kyrie's going to be the best point guard in the league in two years and Waiters looks to be another stud. Thompson is a walking double double when he gets going. So long as the bench doesn't give up leads we should be somewhat decent this year.

And I swear every other commercial on tnt has featured LeBron. The league has been waiting for this for a loong time.

Date:   Oct 30, 12 at 7:20pm (PST)
quote Demonfurby
And I swear every other commercial on tnt has featured LeBron. The league has been waiting for this for a loong time.
Haha, I noticed this too. But did you expect any different?
MVP, Championship, Finals MVP, Olympic Gold. Dude is living his dream. I say let him have his moment. Sad part is that it'll never end. No matter if he wins or loses, the story will always be about him.

And about centers, I would put Tyson Chandler behind Howard and Bynum, honestly.

Date:   Oct 30, 12 at 7:24pm (PST)
Chandler isn't the offensive player that Varejao is. Varejao's probably a slightly better rebounder (certainly more tenacious) and Chandler's a bit of a better defender so I think Andy's offense is enough to give put him ahead of Chandler overall.

Date:   Oct 30, 12 at 7:36pm (PST)
Boston may have lost this first game but damn is that bench better than it was last season. Once they gel, they're going to be improved. Heat need to watch out.

Author:   Lesley Pro_04
Date:   Oct 30, 12 at 7:49pm (PST)
quote tyranitar24
Boston may have lost this first game but damn is that bench better than it was last season. Once they gel, they're going to be improved. Heat need to watch out.
True, part of the problem was not very good defense by the Celtics. They need to clean that up first and foremost.

I wasn't able to sit through the whole game because I had to make dinner, then head out to pick up a roommate, so I can only speak on what I saw. A team gelling takes time, so patience will be needed on that front.

I'll say this much in terms of the NBA Referees: as bad as they can be from time to time, after seeing how horrible the NFL Replacement Referees were during the first few weeks of the NFL season I tried picturing the NBA in such a scenario of having to use replacement referees. And after picturing that, I realized that that would be a worst-case scenario for the game of basketball, because the officiating would be worse than the NFL's replacement referees.

That said, I'll try to take it easy on them (watch that last for anywhere from a week to a month, knowing me) unless it's something glaringly obvious.

Date:   Oct 30, 12 at 7:54pm (PST)
First game of the season and we're already talking about the something as useless as the refs? God damn it's like ESPN in here. <______________<

Celtics looked really good tonight despite the loss. I didn't watch much of the second half but from the first half, I liked what I saw from both teams. Ray Allen was great, Jason Terry was really good too.

And what did Lebron have? Leg cramps or something?

Date:   Oct 30, 12 at 8:38pm (PST)
Jason Terry didn't do shit. Idk what game you were watching lol and yeah, it was leg cramps.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.