Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Tech Help Thread - page 16

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/22593/t1355878-tech-help-thread/16.htm

Author:   Capn Droid
Date:   Mar 11, 10 at 12:13am (PST)
Subject:   re: Tech Help Thread
-------------------------------------------
Goes to show you how much I know about computers: I thought the graphics card was something you bought at the store and manually installed within the computer. I'll be back when I figure out what the proper graphics are, and when I download them, to see if this is the issue.

Author:   Lonewolf11611
Date:   Apr 01, 10 at 12:45am (PST)
Hey I've been reading the previous posts on this thread and I've been searching for a few days for a new graphics driver specific to my computer. I did the Device Manager process and found that I'm running on a Standard VGA Graphics Adapter (version 6.1.7600.16385). The maker of it is Microsoft Windows, but I can't seem to find the download anywhere on Microsoft's Windows 7 site. I recently reinstalled Windows 7, so is it possible that somehow the driver was completely nulled?

Author:   Lorx
Date:   Apr 01, 10 at 1:03am (PST)

Standard VGA Graphics Adapter sounds like a placeholder for your actual card name; something windows has pre-installed just to be sure you can still see your screen if your actual video card driver goes missing.

Do you have your original boot discs, know the graphics card names, have an unmodified computer, etc?

Date:   Apr 01, 10 at 1:59am (PST)
I forgot to mention the biggest piece of info, sorry.

I'm actually on an iMac, but I made a Windows Partition. I've done this before and MapleStory worked so I'm sure it's not a compatibility issue between Windows 7 and MapleStory. I have both the Mac discs and the Windows 7 setup discs (32-bit and 64-bit). I am not quite sure what the name of my graphics card is though, just the (win7_rtm.090713-1255) thing it says in the description under Driver Details.

Author:   Megacoolstar
Date:   Apr 02, 10 at 10:37pm (PST)
Ok, so I just got a new laptop. I tried downloading maple, and everything worked, but I tried to open the client, and it said my version of windows isn't compatible.
I have Windows 7 btw, so does this mean I can never play maple on this laptop?

Date:   Apr 03, 10 at 3:57am (PST)

Can you give a screenshot MCS? Maple is compatible with Win7.

Lonewolf, I am very sorry but I have absolutely no experience with Macs and Maple. If you go to the official nexon forums and post your problem in their tech support area, a member called Grantwallx is probably the best person to ask about that kind of thing.

Date:   Apr 03, 10 at 3:58am (PST)
Alright thanks for the advice Lorx, I appreciate it. Keep up the good work.

Date:   Apr 03, 10 at 5:50am (PST)
Hey I was looking further into my Graphics Card, and under Properties --> Location it says "PCI bus 3, device 0, function 0"

Is there any way to change the device and function settings to 1, or whatever they're supposed to be? Or is it normal to have them at 0. I'm not sure if when I was cleaning my memory, Apple replaced everything with 0's in order to clean the hard drive.. would this be the likely problem/solution?

Author:   Megacoolstar
Date:   Apr 03, 10 at 10:48pm (PST)
Lorx, you're right, It is compatible, I just got an error code -21 for some odd reason though. I'm about to try redownloading the whole thing.
Edit: I got this prior to it btw:

Date:   Apr 04, 10 at 7:49am (PST)

For that, click don't show again and run program.

Worth a shot to run the Setup.exe file in your MS folder, just in case that does something.

Author:   Brightside
Date:   Apr 12, 10 at 1:15am (PST)
I've been trying to play maplestory on my XP but everytime i click play it loads & i get the Error Message: error code : -2147467259 (Unspecified error)
how do i get a graphics driver for my computer? I'm a complete noob & dont know anything could someone possibly help me.
Thanks in advance~

Date:   Apr 12, 10 at 2:22am (PST)

Getting a driver is very easy, the problem is knowing what driver you need. Here's a few ways to find out what you need. You can try any one of them, I tried to list them in order of Easiest -> Hardest/Most Annoying. Once you know the name of your card, I can help you find where to download your driver from, and how to install it.
  • If there was a disc that came with your computer, it should have the driver on it. Not any "Nero" "AOL Free" etc discs, it'd look important.
  • Knowing the name and/or brand of your video card.
  • If you have a store-bought computer, naming the kind of computer (Example: DELL Inspiron 1521), as well as whatever else you can find (Windows Vista, Intel Inside, etc) may be enough to find it's specifications over Google.
  • Call wherever you bought it, ask for help in finding out what your video card is.
Example driver names:
NVIDIA GeForce 350
ATI Radeon x1270

Date:   Apr 13, 10 at 2:22am (PST)
Well I got this computer around 4-5 years ago so any disk that came with it is probably lost.. and umm what's a video card? And I really don't remember where I bought it from

But...when I went My computer>properties I found this-

System:
Microsoft XP
Professional
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

Computer:
Intel(R)
Celeron(R)CPU 2.40GHz
2.41 GHz. 1.24GB of RAM

I really don't understand any of that but hope it helps to find the right driver.

Maybe this would also help-
I went on a website (http://kb.iu.edu/data/ahwa.html) & found these instructions:

"Use the Direct X Diagnostic (DXDIAG) tool:
Direct X comes with diagnostic tools that can identify the installed video card. To launch DXDIAG:

In Vista, click the Start button, type dxdiag in the search bar, and press Enter.
In XP, from the Start button, select Run... . Type dxdiag and click OK.

The DXDIAG panel will open. Click the Display tab.
Your video card's name and chipset will be identified in this panel. When you're finished, click Exit to close the panel."

I followed them and got this:

Date:   Apr 13, 10 at 3:11am (PST)

I have a similar guide to dxdiag in the first post, but that only really helps when you have a driver already installed sadly.

I'm never sure how to help out people who don't know what hardware they have, so bear with me and feel free to ask questions if you need to. I poked my head in neo's hardware forum asking for advice on how to tackle problems like yours, so maybe we'll get help from there too. If it helps you understand at all, this is my general plan for helping out problems like yours: (Things I do, you don't need to know how to do them.)
  1. Find out some information that would narrow down what computer you have, to the point where if I Google Search, I can find more or less your exact machine from a sales site like BestBuy.com.
  2. Look at the specifications provided by those sites, see what hardware they came with to fill in the blanks (What video card you have)
  3. Go to the appropriate download site for the driver, check if it's there. If so, post a link in this thread.

Simple things first: Do you have a laptop or PC?

quote Brightside
Computer:
Intel(R)
Celeron(R)CPU 2.40GHz
2.41 GHz. 1.24GB of RAM
This helps a bit, but it's not enough to track down a similar machine to yours and see what your computer came with. On your computer itself (if you have a PC, not the monitor, the tower), is there something that seems to be a name, either of the company (common names: HP, DELL), or something else entirely?

Some information about the information, if you're curious:
(Written in basic terms, this is not technically correct, but the ideas and fundamentals for understanding what these things are is there)
  • Drivers
    • You can think of a driver as a Translator, or Middle Man. It forms a bond between the pieces of your computer, so they can understand and talk to each other. Drivers are programs, and are free.
  • Video Card
    • A piece of hardware who's job is to make shiny things work on your computer, namely games. You've probably heard of RAM before, the stuff that makes your computer fast. Video Cards are like RAM dedicated to shiny objects, instead of say, number crunching or microsoft word. Video Cards do far more than just that, but that's the basics. Maple Story Error -2147 (your error) is most commonly caused by the Driver for your Video Card being missing or broken. Your computer cannot talk to the Video Card, (even though it's still there) so you cannot use it, and thus, error.
  • Intel Celeron CPU 2.4GHz
    • This is what's called your processor, and it's the heart of your computer. 2.4GHz can simply be stated by how good it is. Higher is better, 2.4-3.0 is normal. It's possible for a processor to actually be a bunch o processors 'glued together', which is where Dual Cores come in. A Dual Core Processor is like a 2-for-1 deal, Quad Core is 4, Hexacore is 6, etc.
  • 1.24GB of RAM
    • General speed for your computer, more is better, 2-6GB is common. "GB" stands for Gigabyte.

Date:   Apr 13, 10 at 3:33am (PST)
I've got a PC & on the computer it says Intel Inside Celeron
im sorry but I'm really confused right now D:

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.