Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Hotspots/Online/WiFi Discussion Thread - page 5

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/22323/t451377-hotspots-online-wifi-discussion-thread/5.htm

Author:   kevinD360
Date:   Nov 14, 04 at 8:14pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Hotspots/Online Discussion
-------------------------------------------
i think it woul be smart if nintendo launched a satelitte into space which would make it possible for anyone to get an internet connection, i wouldnt be surprised if this happned in like 10 years.

Author:   MusiKon
Date:   Nov 14, 04 at 8:25pm (PST)
i think that's what nintendo is trying to avoid doing. if they were to launch a sattelite (which costs tons of money), they would have to start a subscription-based service, which i think nintendo doesnt want to do. besides, if they launched one in 10 years, support for the DS would've been dead by then.

EDIT: btw, Q22, i think this thread should be a sticky. just my suggestion.

Q22 Edit: I like to keep the sticky threads for forum related stuff, like the thread index and the introduce yourself thread. The only exception being the Featured Forum thread, but the whole point of that is to get a forum noticed.

This message was edited by Q22(moderator) on Nov 15 2004.

Date:   Nov 14, 04 at 8:29pm (PST)
well im guessing lots of companys will be launching sattellites into space just like how cell phone companys have sattellites in space

Author:   Yue
Date:   Nov 15, 04 at 1:14am (PST)
Some of the most common Hot Spots that could be found in your area are colleges. Since the campus does have nothing but wireless internet for the students and others. Mainly their hot spots could be used for playing with your Nintendo DS.

Date:   Nov 17, 04 at 7:55pm (PST)
does anyone know if ur able to surf the internet on ur ds, i think it would be a pretty cool feature.

Author:   sonicx
Date:   Nov 18, 04 at 5:16am (PST)
Hey does any one know how ill be able to know if my schools computer Lab internet connection is wirless.

Date:   Nov 18, 04 at 5:22am (PST)
quote kevinD360
does anyone know if ur able to surf the internet on ur ds, i think it would be a pretty cool feature.

um anyone?

Date:   Nov 18, 04 at 5:27am (PST)
while analysts have stated that the DS is capable of surfing the net, there is currently no web browsing software for it. most likely, a underground copy will be made in the future.

Author:   Random Gamer
Date:   Nov 20, 04 at 1:57pm (PST)
ive got a wireless-g router in my house, but too bad none of the ds launch titles wil be online from the get go. I'll just have to wait until march for my PSP

Date:   Nov 20, 04 at 3:54pm (PST)
quote sonicx
Hey does any one know how ill be able to know if my schools computer Lab internet connection is wirless.
ask the computer technician at your school if its wireless. but even if it is, i doubt you'll be able to use it, as its most likely on a closed network. that means that the technician needs to give you clearence before using the DS online in the school. otherwise, it wont work.

Author:   Taikobou20
Date:   Nov 20, 04 at 9:39pm (PST)
Is it likely for a hotel to have a Hot Spot?

Oh and also, I have a wireless broadband hub in our upstairs room, so we can also get online downstairs...Is this the kind of hot spot I need to play online with people?

Lastly, does Pictochat use hot spots, or just the 100 feet local area network?

Date:   Nov 20, 04 at 11:39pm (PST)
quote Taikobou20
Is it likely for a hotel to have a Hot Spot?

Oh and also, I have a wireless broadband hub in our upstairs room, so we can also get online downstairs...Is this the kind of hot spot I need to play online with people?

Lastly, does Pictochat use hot spots, or just the 100 feet local area network?
yes, most hotels (especially new ones) have hot spots now installed into the rooms, lounge, and lobby areas.

yep, you're all set to take on people online at your house...once nintendo releases games that uses WiFi.

i am not sure on PictoChat's capabilities. even thought i am not picking up a DS tomorrow, one of my friends is, so i'll have him test that.

Author:   Taikobou20
Date:   Nov 21, 04 at 3:24am (PST)
Okay. Thanks dude .

What games do you guys think will go best with the hot spot connection? I'm personnally looking forward to an online Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles game.

Author:   Sonicspeedos
Date:   Nov 21, 04 at 4:07pm (PST)
I recently went to Borders Bookstore and I saw a sticker on the window that said, "Cingular Wireless hotspot"

The fist thing I said was, "Whoa awesome!"
But then I realized, wait the DS isn't made by Cingular wireless...

I was just wondering if it would work even though it isn't a mobile phone.

Author:   Yue
Date:   Nov 21, 04 at 11:17pm (PST)
quote MusiKon
while analysts have stated that the DS is capable of surfing the net, there is currently no web browsing software for it. most likely, a underground copy will be made in the future.
Nintendo was asked this question and more then likely side with a no. They don't want to get into has much and would just like to stick to gaming, but they welcome any other company to make the DS internet browser freindly.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.