Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: uhm, where's the GD thread? - page 2

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/22121/t1790012-uhm-wheres-gd-thread/2.htm

Author:   jaydenfox
Date:   Nov 29, 12 at 6:37pm (PST)
Subject:   re: uhm, where's the GD thread?
-------------------------------------------
I agree with harbin91 in that they're too short... I'd say 10 or 12 feet as a minimum, perhaps as high as what, 16 feet?

Author:   Ricoman
Date:   Nov 30, 12 at 2:43pm (PST)
yeah, after looking at it myself with my wife, I saw what you're talking about. I have heightened the lamps to about ten feet. it looks okay now.

I also added the bridge from the ground to the path up by the Keep of the Wailing Winds and a railing to keep people from falling off as they travel.

I got the fruit crates and the curved fruit stand done. Will be posting new pics in the next couple days.

Date:   Dec 01, 12 at 10:32am (PST)
... Maybe you should stick a person in there too just to make sure you're getting things right. Because you also wanna make sure the tents aren't too short and whatnot. They look a bit squat to me, but that might just be me xD

Author:   harbin
Date:   Dec 01, 12 at 2:09pm (PST)
That would only depend on if the person has got the correct anatomical measurements.

Working out the scale would be better, and then setting something like a box set at the average height of a person just so you can get the dimensions sorted out relative to the object.

Date:   Dec 02, 12 at 2:38pm (PST)
okay, round 3 of update pics.

So I finished up the rocky coast around the Keep, added a railing along the upper path to the Keep, and added a rope bridge for access to the Keep as well. I also made the fruit crates and stuck them in the courtyard.

- this shows what the back side of the Keep's plateau looks like

- this is the front side, will be more used by players due to the access path

- shot of the railings I put in so people dont wander off of the cliff edge

- full shot of the bridge

- shows how long the bridge is. I have yet to actually drape it like it would be in real life.\

- the camp where the merchants stay during the marketplace days

- corner shot of the fruit stand in the courtyard

- detail shot of the fruit crates and stands

my next task is to build the first town which will be near the Keep. Im hoping to get it up within the next week!

Rick

Date:   Dec 10, 12 at 2:24pm (PST)
RMVX Ace on Steam

The *bleep* is this?

£50! Excuse me whilst I choke it disbelief.

Date:   Dec 10, 12 at 6:55pm (PST)
well, it's Enterbrain trying to fix all the millions of problems with RMVX AND RMXP in one package. Apparently, from the people I know that have used it say its the best one yet. I dunno, I thought they said the same thing when VX came out

Author:   Ultimaodin
Date:   Dec 10, 12 at 10:07pm (PST)
Ricoman - Starting to look very nice there man. Question, are you using self luminance or are you going to use rendered lighting? If you're going to go with self luminance, you definitely need some shadows on the ground.

harbin - I still haven't overly looked at VX Ace. I still prefer XP.

Date:   Dec 12, 12 at 2:25pm (PST)
Ultimaodin - thanks! Unity has built-in lighting in the engine, so it handles lighting very easily. One of the side effects of using Inquisitor's tilesets is that my texture footprint in memory is extraordinarily small. Being built to handle texture maps in the 1024x1024 to 2056x2056 range, my 32x32 or 64x64 texture maps hardly even register. I am hoping to start populating my dungeon in the next week or so, then we'll see what active lighting looks like in RMXP style lol

Date:   Dec 12, 12 at 5:54pm (PST)
quote harbin
RMVX Ace on Steam

The *bleep* is this?

£50! Excuse me whilst I choke it disbelief.
I must agree. I never thought this would be a STEAM product - much less for $70 USD.

Ultimaodin - Perhaps it is the best one? It does, at least, look much improved over VX. Unlimited tilesets, RGSS3, shadow tiles, hell, it even has a built-in character maker with faces to match! Still, the ultimate downfall of the RPG Maker series is - in my opinion - the lack of a good battle system. RM2k3 had a decent side-view system going. XP at least had battlers. VX and VXA each use the dumb system in which you don't see the actors at all, and I just cannot abide that -.- At the very least, VXA looks better, if not perfect.

Here's a quick breakdown, if anyone's actually interested: http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/support/comparison

Date:   Dec 13, 12 at 10:09am (PST)
There are good battlesystems but only done by the community and can be overwhelming to the newbies. Would like to see what is possible in the program if the entire scripts are rewritten from base to customised.

Author:   ssbm freak
Date:   Dec 13, 12 at 12:20pm (PST)
VXa is built the best by far. Beforehand I was an XP purist. It really is that good.
The biggest problem is the default battle system and getting used to the new RGSS.. but it's so flexible you will likely need even less scripting than before.
I still prefer XP's mapping system but VXa is definitely more accessible for newer users and just as good once you get used to it.

Date:   Dec 13, 12 at 1:44pm (PST)
>.> I feel the urge to try it now... Just for the hell of it...
What would you say are the downfalls of VXa's mapping vs. XP's?

Author:   ssbm freak
Date:   Dec 13, 12 at 2:43pm (PST)
quote jaydenfox
>.> I feel the urge to try it now... Just for the hell of it...
What would you say are the downfalls of VXa's mapping vs. XP's?
You have to do layering by 1,2,3. If you do it in any other order then the higher layers overwrite the lower ones.
But it also requires less thought to effectively apply each layer..
And if you're unsatisfied with VXa's maps you can use XP's.(Although it may take some editing)

Basically a lazy man's dream for mapping.. but mapping masters have to completely relearn the art.

Date:   Dec 13, 12 at 3:50pm (PST)
The limitations and style was one thing that put me off VX (not completely though)

Creating brilliant maps in RMXP was a true art TBH.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.