Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Google Finally Files for IPO - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/18/t378427-google-finally-files-for-ipo/

Author:   Imaginasian
Date:   Apr 29, 04 at 8:15pm (PST)
Subject:   Google Finally Files for IPO
-------------------------------------------
After months of speculation, Google filed for a $2.7 billion initial public offering (IPO) with the Securities and Exchanges Commission earlier today. Morgan Stanley and Credit Suisse First Boston (CSFB) have been listed as the underwriters for the deal. It's curious to see what will happen. Will this ignite another .com boom? Will this change Google's secretive culture? What we do know is how much Google made recently. That's something Google has been holding on to very dearly throughout the entire IPO process. For the first quarter of 2004, Google reported sales of $389.6 million, an increase of 118 percent from a year ago. Google's net income was $64 million, up 148% from the first quarter of last year. How will it do now that it's a public company? We'll see...

Author:   Master Mind
Date:   Apr 29, 04 at 8:22pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Google Finally Files for IPO
So does this mean we'll actually be able to buy stock with Google? Wow, that'll be pretty sweet! It's one of those things that is garrenteed to grow.

Date:   Apr 29, 04 at 8:31pm (PST)
From what I've read in the news through the process, the founders of Google (Larry Page and Sergey Brin) want to give a larg portion of the initial stock to individuals (in relation to the typical IPO). The reason is that the are socially-conscious. They won't allow business proposals and concepts that go against their ethics and morals. Hopefully, individuals will be able to own a (relatively) significant percentage of the company.

Author:   Master Mind
Date:   Apr 29, 04 at 8:33pm (PST)
That is awesome! I can't say anything other than that. At least some companies are allowing others to buy stock in them. Them just giving it away is even better. Hope it works out, it sounds like it will.

Author:   Adam69
Date:   Apr 29, 04 at 8:35pm (PST)
Å·I don't really understand...Can you now buy a part of google or soemthing?

69®

Author:   Slacker
Date:   Apr 29, 04 at 8:36pm (PST)
Giving the stock away is better than having some conglomerate snatching it all up and virtually taking control of your business. I'm just curious as to how much it'll start out at, and how quickly it'll go up. Needless to say, it's definetly something to watch out for.

Author:   AltF4
Date:   Apr 29, 04 at 8:57pm (PST)
Yeah, I've read something about the creators of this site being picked TIME's Top 100 People. It's fair, since I use this site all the time, and it's very easy to use, too! I can see why it's so popular: It doesn't really have those long loading times and fancy HTML at it's front page. It's quick and easy! And they usually put the adds in the News section.

I wish I could buy Google... I wish I could buy Google.

BTW, go to Google, and Search for "elgooG"; you'll like what you get (click on first result.)

Author:   solidcastle
Date:   Apr 29, 04 at 10:53pm (PST)
Just how the hell did Google make that freaky amount of money? Dont tell me it is all from ads.

Author:   Angyles Cerddoriaeth
Date:   Apr 30, 04 at 12:45am (PST)
I just saw this on the news and it really caught my eye. I am concerned with the .com boom from years ago. Many people lost their shirts in those deals.

You can bet the prices will go up for awhile, but after the initial buy, it will steady itself out. I will look into this for my porfolio, but I am still wary.

Anyone else thinking of buying into this?

Author:   Slacker
Date:   Apr 30, 04 at 1:51am (PST)
It crossed my mind, but I've never bought any stock in a dotcom company before, so I'm hesitant. Especially after what happened a few years ago. The only real high risk stuff I have is in a bunch of different tech companies, but most the stocks I own are based off of my Grandpa's suggestions, since he was a stock broker since Jefferson was in the White House. At least, he looks like he was. Might not be a bad buy though, it's all dependant on it's opening price...

Author:   ying
Date:   Apr 30, 04 at 4:51am (PST)
quote solidcastle
Just how the hell did Google make that freaky amount of money? Dont tell me it is all from ads.

to answer your question some sites get money from sponsers that pay for ad space like you said and a lot get paid for hits they get per day or week...they get money from that but i not sure who pays for it.

Author:   Angyles Cerddoriaeth
Date:   Apr 30, 04 at 2:07pm (PST)
I agree with your thoughts Slacker. With what occured a few years ago with the market and .com stocks, I think alot of people will be quite hesitant. I will wait until I get to work to run the numbers and view the financial reports before i make a decision.

Date:   Apr 30, 04 at 5:10pm (PST)
The founders insist that they will not worry about meeting quarterly estimates. I wonder what type of effect that will have on Google's stock price.

Author:   salvatore_leone
Date:   Apr 30, 04 at 5:16pm (PST)
quote Slacker
Giving the stock away is better than having some conglomerate snatching it all up and virtually taking control of your business.
Just giving it away would defeat the point of doing it

Author:   Volume
Date:   Apr 30, 04 at 7:10pm (PST)
I just heard this today on the news. I didn't even know that the founders of Google came from near where I live.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.