Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Earth³ - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/18/t1883069-earth/

Author:   Kingy
Date:   Jul 13, 13 at 9:03am (PST)
Subject:   Earth³
-------------------------------------------
I was thinking about this while eating breakfast this morning. What if the world was a cube? Like how would that affect gravity and everything? Would everyone in planes flying across the globe suddenly smack into the ceiling of airplanes when they passed over 'edges'? How weird would it be to just see a sheer drop off for thousands of miles when you reach such edges?

Just imagine.

Author:   Ascii
Date:   Jul 13, 13 at 9:05am (PST)
Subject:   re: Earth³
I remember reading about how planets had to be round in order to support life. I don't remember the details but it probably has to do with the atmosphere and rotation or something.

Author:   Strawberryclock
Date:   Jul 13, 13 at 9:06am (PST)

Me am like normal sphere world

Author:   Kingy
Date:   Jul 13, 13 at 9:23am (PST)
quote Shadow of Truth
I remember reading about how planets had to be round in order to support life. I don't remember the details but it probably has to do with the atmosphere and rotation or something.
Yeah of course, but what if it didn't matter and life still existed? What if this new cubed Earth spun like a gyroscope? What would the days be like?

Author:   Shave ya Head
Date:   Jul 13, 13 at 9:27am (PST)
The world would have a whole new level of complicated. The oceans would gather in the center of the 6 squares of the planet.

Author:   Ascii
Date:   Jul 13, 13 at 9:29am (PST)
quote King_X2
quote Shadow of Truth
Yeah of course, but what if it didn't matter and life still existed? What if this new cubed Earth spun like a gyroscope? What would the days be like?
No idea, but I bet Columbus would've had a lot harder time "discovering" America.

Author:   Arjy
Date:   Jul 13, 13 at 9:32am (PST)
It wouldn't change that much except gravity would feel different everywhere except the centre of each face of the cube. The way gravity works is we're all pulled towards the centre of the earth. So on a spherical Earth that always means you're pulled directly downwards.

On the cuboid earth, if you stand at the centre of one of the faces, you're being pulled directly down to the centre of the earth. However as you move further towards an edge, you'll feel pulled both downwards AND towards the centre of the face. So walking towards the edge of the cube would feel like walking up a steep hill even if it were flat.

I don't see any reason why it couldn't support life though?

Author:   magsasaka
Date:   Jul 13, 13 at 9:57am (PST)
the horizon would be further and wider

Author:   honorablesamurai
Date:   Jul 13, 13 at 7:42pm (PST)
If the world was a cube, every sailor would be too scared to sail over the 'edges' and we would probably only know a sixth of the world until satellites and airplanes are invented.

Author:   ditto
Date:   Jul 13, 13 at 8:19pm (PST)
Obama would have not been elected.

Author:   Dilute
Date:   Jul 13, 13 at 11:28pm (PST)
quote ditto
Obama would have not been elected.
Exactly.

Author:   Shadow of Death
Date:   Jul 14, 13 at 6:14am (PST)
Maps would certainly be laid out a bit differently, that's for sure.

Beyond that, there would be issues with gravity as mentioned. The corners would probably end up places of significance for tourism and possibly religion. The edges sure would be interesting to pass over.

Days would be shorter, and nights longer because the flat face wouldn't allow the diffused light to travel as well between faces.

Author:   Psyette
Date:   Jul 14, 13 at 10:25am (PST)
if we assume that the corners would basically be mountains then when enough time passes the world would probably become spherical anyways

I think

Author:   Scott Cee
Date:   Jul 14, 13 at 1:25pm (PST)
The much maligned, but not actually that bad, Fincher directed sequel to Earths?

Author:   harbin
Date:   Jul 14, 13 at 1:29pm (PST)
I'd imagine the world might end up looking something like this:

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.