Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: 24/7 - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/18/t1880423-24-7/

Author:   kingy
Date:   Jul 05, 13 at 9:57am (PST)
Subject:   24/7
-------------------------------------------
Nobody understands why, doctors and scientists alike, but sleep is no longer necessary for you to survive. You are able to stay awake 24/7 and your body refreshes itself constantly. Other than this perk, your body behaves just like any normal human being.

I know at first glance, this would seem incredible, but think about it.

Author:   Chris
Date:   Jul 05, 13 at 9:59am (PST)
Subject:   re: 24/7
Go to sleep King

Author:   Lukas
Date:   Jul 05, 13 at 9:59am (PST)
source?? because you're right, I don't understand why and this does sound incredible.

Author:   Justin
Date:   Jul 05, 13 at 10:00am (PST)
I think this would undoubtedly benefit the world in many ways. We spend, what, a third of our lives entirely unconscious? That's a lot of time.

With that said, sleep is definitely a very appreciated aspect of my life. I'm not sure how comfortable it would be never taking a break from life.

Author:   MrGrimm
Date:   Jul 05, 13 at 10:37am (PST)
I like the sound of it. As it is now, there's so much I wanna do so much I wanna accomplish but I got work 8 hours of the day and sleep 8 hours of the day. Then at least 1 hour of the day is spent seeking food, or more hours if I'm the one preparing it. Then, sometimes I even work overtime for an hour. That leaves me about 5 hours a day to get done what I want to get done. And 3 of those hours are spent being exhausted unfortunately.

Author:   Smell The Chiken
Date:   Jul 05, 13 at 10:50am (PST)
You do realize that Fallout does not translate to real life, right King?

Myself, I probably get less than 8 hours a night most days, then I'll sleep up to about 10 once or twice a week. I'm not so sure on the idea of staying up 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Pretty sure you can die from insomnia.

Author:   Shin Ra
Date:   Jul 05, 13 at 10:55am (PST)
I think your head will feel so *bleep*ed after a day or 2 you'll wanna die never mind sleep

Author:   Shadow of Death
Date:   Jul 05, 13 at 11:06am (PST)
Actually, it's true that we shouldn't NEED to sleep, but we do anyway. There is probably a reason that it developed into a thing into multicellular creatures. There are a few people out there who don't sleep and suffer no ill effects on their health. Why the rest of us do is not clearly understood.

One theory is that we use sleep to organize our life and make mental connections, so perhaps with the rest of us our mind simply loses its ability to function properly.

It's actually unnaturally for people to spend 6+ hours in a row asleep. We, as a species, aren't really built with that in mind. We're supposed to be awake for a period of hours, sleep for a short while, then repeat. Sleeping for extended periods of time is a product of industry, not nature. It's possible to retrain your body to eliminate the wasted time spent sleeping (sleep that is not REM sleep), by forcing yourself to wake up (I think it was) after 30 minutes of napping after every 3 hours or so awake. You'll suffer for a few days, but eventually your body just gives in and defaults to REM. This results in more effective hours of the day (you spend a couple/few hours asleep, and the rest awake).

Of course, I'm not an expert. Even if I could eliminate the need for sleep completely, I'd still like to at least nap from time to time. Sleep, or more specifically the restful moments of bliss between being fully awake or asleep are glorious.

Author:   Scott Cee
Date:   Jul 05, 13 at 12:06pm (PST)
They'd probably just make us work longer.

Author:   Stitch
Date:   Jul 05, 13 at 12:43pm (PST)
If that was true, people playing WoW would not die from excaustion.

Author:   harbin
Date:   Jul 05, 13 at 12:43pm (PST)
You're tired King. Go home to bed.

People need sleep but it seems that there is disagreement on the best length of time to sleep. Apparently 8hrs of sleep is not as effective as two 4hr sets with an hour or two break in between.

Then again, power naps are apparently helpful in the mid-afternoon as well but the problem is work hours don't allow for midafternoon power nap either.

Author:   Danger
Date:   Jul 05, 13 at 1:55pm (PST)
I feel just as refreshed, if not more when I get 4 hours sleep rather than the typical 8 hours. I'd rather get two sets of 4 hours or 4 hours and a nap in but it just doesn't work with work and social hours.

Author:   Ascii
Date:   Jul 05, 13 at 2:00pm (PST)
Do you have a source for this? I know if I go more than 30 or 40 hours without sleep, I begin getting headaches and get a random surge of energy. The energy wouldn't be bad if I was actually thinking straight. It almost feels like I am drunk. This wears off eventually, but the headache just gets worse and I feel too tired and weak to do anything.

Author:   Reason
Date:   Jul 05, 13 at 2:07pm (PST)
The amount of stuff I could do if I didn't have to sleep...

quote Shadow of Truth
Do you have a source for this? I know if I go more than 30 or 40 hours without sleep, I begin getting headaches and get a random surge of energy. The energy wouldn't be bad if I was actually thinking straight. It almost feels like I am drunk. This wears off eventually, but the headache just gets worse and I feel too tired and weak to do anything.
It's a fictional scenario.

Author:   Ascii
Date:   Jul 05, 13 at 2:12pm (PST)
quote Reason
It's a fictional scenario.
Oh wow. Now I feel dumb for missing that.

In that case, I would still sleep. I enjoy dreaming on most occasions. Sometimes I will even try to force myself to go back to sleep when I am no longer tired just to try and continue a dream I was having prior to waking up. This, of course, never works.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.