Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Scott Cee versus Nostalgia - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/18/t1858120-scott-cee-versus-nostalgia/

Author:   Scott Cee
Date:   Apr 29, 13 at 8:48pm (PST)
Subject:   Scott Cee versus Nostalgia
-------------------------------------------
Greetings and salutations, Loungeons.
The weather is 4am.

As a child of the late eighties, but more accurately the nineties, I look back on the media of this era with a certain amount of rose-tinted spectacality, particularly videogames on SNES and Megadrive and the kids' TV I used to watch. Not so much the TV because I had (and, in fact still have) an older brother, and the rule in the Cee household during my formative years was that I wasn't allowed to watch TV until he came home from school, and really the only things I was interested in watching in the early evenings was not the kind demographic shows like Grange Hill or Byker Grove were primarily aimed at. But this was the time, in the UK anyway, of Saturday morning TV such as Live & Kicking, and a bit later SMTV on the other channel.
I have fond memories of the Spider-Man and X Men cartoons, the original Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers (and the movie, more on which later), Superman (the one with Dean Cain as the titular hero) and Thunder Birds, Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons, Star Trek TOS and TNG and Sliders shown on BBC2 in the evenings.
This was, because I was growing up then, the best time to develop as a pre-pubescent proto-nerd, and is primarily the reason why I am the way I am.

So, today, now that I am a physically mature individual with hair in strange places and limited, but still disposable, income, I went out and bought the first Power Rangers Movie on DVD for a couple of quid.
This turned out to be a mistake.
I can overlook the shatto CGI, because technology marches on, and the soundtrack which is awesome, but I can't overlook... pretty much everything else. Obviously this movie was released at a time when I was beating the crap out of my friends in the school playground while pretending to be the Blue Ranger, but now, looked at through mature eyes like 20 years after it was released... there's little to recommend other than (I'm about to reference characters you probably won't know unless you are a major fan or have seen this movie recently) Dulcea, an amazonian character in a stripperific outfit put in there to primarily appeal to dads who were dragged by their kids to see this thing in cinemas, and Ivan Ooze hamming it up in every scene in which he appears.
Oh, and some residual prepubescent squiggly feelings for Pink Ranger Kimberly. (She's somehow even hotter now than she was then. I checked.)

Trans-Formers The Movie, on the other hand, stands the test of watching again because Michael Bay ruined them far worse than the passage of time could ever manage.
The 2D Sonic Hedgehog games are still good, because that was the height of the platforming genre. Streets of Rage, Final Fight et al still work because the scrolling beat 'em up never made the transition to 3D in the first place (unless you count Dynasty Warriors, which I don't).
I can forgive Smallville replacing The Adventures of Lois and Clark, because comicbook heroes are reinvented and rebooted every like six weeks or so anyway (it seems), and... I never really watched it.
I intensely dislike the newer X-Men cartoon's reliance on Wolverine as the break-out character, because Gambit was always my favourite and I'm... jealous on the Cajun's behalf?

So, yeah.
How have you ruined something from your childhood recently?

Author:   The Hazard
Date:   Apr 29, 13 at 8:56pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Scott Cee versus Nostalgia
quote Scott Cee
I intensely dislike the newer X-Men cartoon's reliance on Wolverine as the break-out character, because Gambit was always my favourite and I'm... jealous on the Cajun's behalf?
Replace Gambit with Cyclops and you have my exact thoughts there.

Author:   Lukas
Date:   Apr 29, 13 at 10:08pm (PST)
Ocarina Of Time kind of defines this for me. I still think it's a good game, but BEST GAME EVER GAME OF THE YEAR OF ALL YEARS sounds like some real hyperbolic bullshit to me. Christ, I'd find it more believable if people were like this about A Link To The Past or Majora's Mask, if it had to be a Zelda game that's... well, you know. Then again, OOT was my first Zelda game so I ruined it by playing those games... and Wind Waker... and Okami... and Darksiders.

Turok 1 and 2 on the N64 applies too - dem ass backward controls and HUUUUUUUUGE levels... stopped being impressive even when Goldeneye and Perfect Dark came out with smaller levels that are far better designed with better control schemes. tho I like the fog in the first game. I mean it's a game about DINOSAUR HUNTING even though you fight humans quite a lot... okay, it's not all that cool. 3 was pretty cool though, almost like Doom 3 before Doom 3, with dinosaurs AND aliens instead of just aliens.

There are some other things here and there I think less of, but those are the big ones. Funny enough, I learn to appreciate some other things better. Particularly The Weekenders - I thought it was okay when I was 8, but at 18, I enjoyed it quite a bit. Let's see if 21 year old me likes it all the same. The Fox And The Hound is the same - didn't mind it when I was a kid but when I got older, I understood it better and liked it a lot more because of that.

Author:   walnuts
Date:   Apr 29, 13 at 10:29pm (PST)
I went back and watched Transformers-The Movie when I was about 21 - still gave me goosebumps, maybe even more so because I think I understood more. Love it to absolute bits, and so my kids (boy/girl/alien blob) are going to grow up watching it too.

As if this scene doesn't bring tears to your grown ass

Date:   Apr 29, 13 at 10:40pm (PST)
See that, when the cartoon robot dies? A lot of you are probably like, "So what, Kenny died in every episode of South Park."
But for me and Walnuts, and probably a few others reading this, Optimus Prime was our role model.
And they killed him off about a third of the way through the thing, and mentally scarred an entire generation of kids, and he stays dead for the whole movie.
We didn't know they were going to bring him back (until the voice over at the end), because that sort of thing wasn't done then. It was such a gut punch that a similar plot was cut from GI Joe because... kids need heroes, you know?

Author:   Chelskiman
Date:   Apr 29, 13 at 10:42pm (PST)
quote Scott Cee
This is why I love you. Gambit has always been my favourite X-Men character.

Date:   Apr 29, 13 at 10:44pm (PST)
Not to mention that the movie had an epic soundtrack Scott Cee. Seriously, you weren't allowed to air a cartoon in the 80's if it didn't have a killer theme song to it.

Date:   Apr 29, 13 at 10:57pm (PST)
Walnuts has the touch and the power.

Date:   Apr 29, 13 at 10:58pm (PST)
quote Scott Cee
Walnuts has the touch and the power.
YEAH!

*guitar riff*

Author:   KR_1250
Date:   Apr 30, 13 at 12:19am (PST)
I just recently replayed Streets of Rage 1 and 2 and the first three resident evil games. The good ones.

And they were all... f***ing Brilliant! I also recently watched some of the 90's Batman cartoon series as well as some Ghost busters and TMNT. I hate to say this but the reason the Power Rangers dissapointed you is that it always sucked f***ing balls man. It really, really did. It was never good.

Though i may just be bias because the Power F***ING Rangers knocked TNMT off of its television spot when i was a kid. I came home from school, threw my bag in the cupboard, grabbed my Tangy Toms and Freddo bar and sat 3 inches from the TV expecting to see Donatello whipping Shredders arse all over the sewers and instead was met by some f***ing lycra clad middle class trendy American teenage twats prancing around with the most poorly designed and badly implimented "monsters" in a show who's format was so recycled an autistic kid would find it too repetative.

Phew... sorry. Had to get that out. I f***ing hated that show with a burning passion.

Some things from childhood live on within us, hell the Thomas The Tank Engine and Postman Pat theme songs make me wanna cry. But upon looking back some things remind us that as kids we were infact quite f***ing stupid.

Date:   Apr 30, 13 at 12:41am (PST)
I completely forgot about Ghostbusters. The Real Ghostbusters, not the Filmation one.

Date:   Apr 30, 13 at 12:44am (PST)
quote Scott Cee
I completely forgot about Ghostbusters. The Real Ghostbusters, not the Filmation one.
Absolutely.

Author:   Monterey Jack
Date:   Apr 30, 13 at 1:56am (PST)
lol Power Rangers is so shit it's hilarious

I honestly didn't know there was a movie until the Nostalgia Critic reviewed it. speaking of Nostalgia Critic I didn't know Fern Gully was so shit haha

Author:   Official_GR7
Date:   Apr 30, 13 at 3:23pm (PST)
Anyone in UK may remember this. Circuit boards you'd make in science with the crocodile clips and bulbs lol... Only remembered them today for the first time since actually using them - YEARS ago.

Date:   Apr 30, 13 at 11:44pm (PST)
Anyone ever watch SWAT CATS !?

F***king awesome show. I used to love the theme tunes. They used to get me fired up like Vodka does now. Dayum they used to make cartoons properly.

He-Man and Thundercats were asweome aswell.

EDIT: What does f***ing "embedding disabled by request" mean ?

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.