Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Games you Bought/Started but... Mneh... - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/18/t1848880-games-you-bought-started-but-mneh/

Author:   KR_1250
Date:   Apr 03, 13 at 5:11am (PST)
Subject:   Games you Bought/Started but... Mneh...
-------------------------------------------
Title pretty much says it all.

I'm sure we have all dont it, bought a game as an impulse buy or on a whim or perhaps recieved one as a gift but never actually got much into it? Why? What happened?

Do tell.

Author:   Demonfurby
Date:   Apr 03, 13 at 5:19am (PST)
Subject:   re: Games you Bought/Started but... Mneh...
To continue from the other thread, I have yet to finish the second Bioshock. Story was recanted so much it was almost unrecognizable. Playing as a Big Daddy should be cool, you shouldn't get your ass whooped every ten seconds by *bleep*ing drugged out cretins. I'll probably give it a go soon again soon just because, but eh.

Mass Effect 3 is another. I got it a week after it came out, and by then people were complaining about the story. I got to a certain point, and all the negative shit I was only glancing at (haven't read any spoilers for it in case I do get the urge to finish) just destroyed any remaining interest I had in it. The gameplay at that point was spiraling quickly, it had gotten waay to Gears-y at that point. First game was great, second was ehhhh, never even got far in the third.

Author:   harbin
Date:   Apr 03, 13 at 5:33am (PST)
I've tons on my PC I've yet to actually start.

Ones that I've struggled to get into? FM13, Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3, F.E.A.R, Amnesia (largely at the time because of my PC struggled to run it on basic settings)..

Other ones like Mass Effect, ME3, Crysis, HL2, I was enjoying but kinda lost interest when I had to reinstall everything on my PC, because it decided to wipe the entire Steam library.

Author:   rubicant phantom
Date:   Apr 03, 13 at 5:49am (PST)
I’ve barely started Bayonetta and Darksiders. Bought both on impuls and regretted as soon as I sat down to watch the intros. The one game I never finished was Metal Gear Solid 4 Guns of the Patriots and that’s just down going off gaming at the time and no longer enjoying it, now I can safely say I do enjoy gaming again but whether I’m willing to finish it is a different question altogether.

Author:   windowlicker
Date:   Apr 03, 13 at 5:59am (PST)
Assassins Creed 3 & Revelations. I dunno what it is but it took me a year and a half to complete revelations because I simply got bored halfway through and thats pretty much what happened with 3. Other than that nothing really springs to mind, although I did buy Vice City again the other day and stop once I met Ken Rosenberg again, lol.

Author:   Strawberryclock
Date:   Apr 03, 13 at 6:01am (PST)
Could not be assed to play assassin's creed 2 much after it didn't really expand that much or correct as many mistakes as people said it did.

That said because I hate myself i 100% assassin's creed 1.

Author:   RegalBryant
Date:   Apr 03, 13 at 6:05am (PST)
Brink.

Author:   Vex the Pirate
Date:   Apr 03, 13 at 6:07am (PST)
Dead Island :L After you get out of the beach area thingy it's just really boring and tbh the games quite repetitive anyway <<

Also Bioshock 2! Had a massive feeling of "i've seen/done all this before". Nothing original enough in the game to hold me

Also also like Assassins Creed Brotherhood (though what i'm about to say basically holds truth for all of the AC games). IT'S JUST THE SAME THING. OVER AND OVER. I made the mistake of playing it directly after beating AC2, so by that point i was pretty bored of AC's repetitiveness anyway, so i got about halfway (maybe not even that far tbh) though the game and just fizzled out. Though it seems pretty much everyone has this problem :B
Don't get me wrong though, i like AC games they're fun, you just gotta leave a healthy length of time between playing them is all :B

Also Arkham City. Too big, too much to do and i lost focus (so sad because i loved AA). I have this problem with basically all rockstar games too i should stop buying them :B Also New Vegas

Edit: Tbh i usually play my games at least like 2/3's of the way before getting bored of them which isn't really starting out :B TBH IT'S REALLY FRUSTRATING ALMOST BEATING A GAME BUT BEING TOO BORED TO ACTUALLY GET THERE 3:

Author:   KR_1250
Date:   Apr 03, 13 at 6:16am (PST)
I have a few which i currently have on hold shall we say:

Metro 2033. I have a great interest in Russian and ex soviet history, am fascinated with nuclear/post apocalyptic fiction and like FPS games so why cant i get into this? It should be my ideal game. I dunno. Some mixture of the dodgy controls, terrible stealth mechanics and pretty mundane gameplay. The story is great, but the game just feels very outdated today. I will go back and finish it at some point... i think.

Ghost Recon: Future Soldier. OK so the story is shite, but thats expected, so is the story of pretty much every 'fictional' militairy shooter ever made IMO. This game has a lot going for it like the weapons bench and action sequences. But again like Metro it just does nothing original gameplay wise. Its just another OK'ish stealthy militairy shooter. Loved it at first, but quickly realised its linear gameplay and predictable pacing gets kinda old kinda fast. Shame. Oh and the Multiplayer is pretty bollocks.

LIGHT SPOILERS AHOY!!!

Dishonered: This is my latest. Love Bethesda, find steampunk kinda interesting and like RPG's and Stealth FPS games. So again why cant i get into it? Well first off its story is just something i cannot get into. Typical kidnapped damsel in destress donkey kong bollocks. Dont care, hope she dies kinda thing. Also with the empress being killed at the begining of the game I SIDE WITH THE BLOODY NATIONALISTS! Its hard to get into a story when i sympathise with the antagonists. Also the supernatural aspects are badly explained IMO. Who is this floating emo guy with the makeup? Why does he care what i'm doing? Why am i suddenyl magical? And its surprisingly linear gameplay for a bethesda game is actually much more limiting than i had hoped and again the stealth mechanics are not great. Mneh, it just fails to meet my expectations. May give it another bash as i didnt give the gameplay enough of a chance, but the story REALLY puts me off. Badly.

Another recurring problem for me is only having so much time to play games these days yet having big "monsters" who steal all my time. COD, BF3 and Forza have taken up so much of my game time that i often avoid other games altogether.

And Demonfurby i envy you. I wish i had not completed Mass Effect3 . I wish i still had my own vision of how the series ends. F**k the developers for what they done.

Author:   LinkinPork
Date:   Apr 03, 13 at 9:18am (PST)
Steam's seasonal sales are the definition of "impulse buying". I own way too many games but I'm actually working through them, slowly.

42% of my library hasn't even been played.

Too many games, not enough time. And sometimes games come with bundles that are good deals, but will include something that you don't even want to play.

Author:   carous Elambra
Date:   Apr 03, 13 at 9:24am (PST)
The Last Remnant. Battle system sucked even though there was an hilarious frog.

AC 1 - 3. AC1 was too nostalgic...I couldn't play the sequels without clearing each game one by one, so mneh

Skyrim, started chasing the dragon

Mass Effect 2. I guess it's basically playing with your balls but I don't like how they removed the custom upgrade slots. Everything is set weapons, set classes, you can choose 1 weapon from my magic weapons box before the big mega boss.

Author:   Kafani
Date:   Apr 03, 13 at 9:49am (PST)
As someone mentioned above, I started Dead Island and never even got close to finishing it. The concept sounded so awesome. Stuck on an island, find/make weapons, kill zombies. Too bad the bugs killed the game. I wanted so bad to like this game but I couldn't. Not enough new things happened, the gameplay gets very repetitive after awhile. They call it a sandbox game, but there are only so many things you are allowed to do.

Speaking of severely restricted sandbox games, when the FLUCK is Shenmue 3 coming out?

Author:   MrGrimm
Date:   Apr 03, 13 at 10:07am (PST)
I was getting into Thief 1, and enjoying the gameplay

But it isn't a very reward oriented game. Generally speaking, games now adays will reward you constantly, explore this hallway, get extra ammo, a piece of the story, or new skills or a new quest... SOMETHING.

Thief 1 seemed to me like the developers considered the challenge to be the reward. Since I'm spoiled now, I couldn't get into it. The story didn't reward you much, and once you finish the level, that's it. Plus the dying and starting all over...

I'm not sure if the Thief sequels are any good. I would play them, but I hate skipping games in a series. I always try to start from the beginning. Reason I do that is because if I start with the most recent game, I will never be able to go back to the old games and try those, because it will usually be a suckier game in comparison to the newer games.

Author:   Tf916
Date:   Apr 03, 13 at 10:21am (PST)
quote Kafani
Speaking of severely restricted sandbox games, when the FLUCK is Shenmue 3 coming out?
Never....

Author:   Thrawn
Date:   Apr 03, 13 at 10:25am (PST)
I definitely have a couple for this thread.

*Super Paper Mario
*Paper Mario: Sticker Star

Considering that I only couldn't finish a couple games out of all I've played, that's pretty good.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.