Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Potential Cure for AIDS - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/18/t1822341-potential-cure-for-aids/

Author:   Ditnopota
Date:   Jan 24, 13 at 11:08pm (PST)
Subject:   Potential Cure for AIDS
-------------------------------------------
Source

According to a report from ABC Australia, scientists have modified an HIV protein in order to prevent it from replicating.

“What we’ve actually done is taken a normal virus protein that the virus needs to grow, and we’ve changed this protein, so that instead of assisting the virus, it actually impedes virus replication and does it quite strongly,” Associate Professor David Harrich told ABC Australia.

Harrich told ABC Australia the modified protein cannot cure HIV but it has protected human cells from AIDS in the laboratory.

“This therapy is potentially a cure for AIDS,” he said. “So it’s not a cure for HIV infection, but it potentially could end the disease.

Pretty exciting stuff.

Author:   Best Player Ever
Date:   Jan 24, 13 at 11:11pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Potential Cure for AIDS
So it doesn't really cure the disease, but instead stops it in its tracks? I'm a bit confused.

Still though, that's pretty awesome news.

Author:   ShadowCrystallux
Date:   Jan 24, 13 at 11:31pm (PST)
I love this idea tbh. Sadly it won't cure the people who currently have it, but it could stop this disease from spreading further. Damage limitation would probably be the correct term here?

Author:   Ben73
Date:   Jan 24, 13 at 11:49pm (PST)
Well that's better than nothing. Can't complain.
Atleast they are moving forward.

Author:   Demonfurby
Date:   Jan 24, 13 at 11:55pm (PST)
Pretty sure Magic Johnson already found it years ago

Author:   KR_1250
Date:   Jan 25, 13 at 12:53am (PST)
quote Best Player Ever
So it doesn't really cure the disease, but instead stops it in its tracks? I'm a bit confused.

Still though, that's pretty awesome news.
I think what this means is that it can stop further spread ad development of an existing infection. But does not recess damage which has already been done.

I.E If you are in the advanced and terminal stages of AIDS the treatment will be ineffective. However it could stop the virulence of the disease in new patients. This would greatly affect the diseases ability to infect new sexual partners.

Thats what i read into it anyway. Great news.

Cancer next!

Author:   hiigaran
Date:   Jan 25, 13 at 3:50am (PST)
quote Peutix
quote KR_1250
Cancer next!
Which one?
doesnt matter. like pharmaceutical companies would ever support it

i remember reading a while back that such companies were actually trying to class turmeric as a medicine, because of its strong anti cancer properties. yeah, you can imagine how well that went. i dont think the 1.2 billion indians, who use the spice in many of their dishes, would have agreed to that.

Author:   Demonfurby
Date:   Jan 25, 13 at 4:06am (PST)
I remember reading somewhere that some people created a cure for cancer but pharmaceutical companies wouldn't back it so it never got used. Can't recall where maybe it was on neo.

hiigaran

Author:   hiigaran
Date:   Jan 25, 13 at 4:09am (PST)
there have been a few threads on it, definitely. pity the world is run by dicks, huh?

Author:   RegalBryant
Date:   Jan 25, 13 at 8:30am (PST)
quote Peutix
quote KR_1250
Cancer next!
Which one?

Cure ALL the cancer!

Author:   Nightmare Samurai
Date:   Jan 25, 13 at 8:55am (PST)
quote KR_1250
Cancer next!

Author:   Thrawn
Date:   Jan 25, 13 at 9:01am (PST)
Well that's great news, the only problem is getting it into the hands of the people who need it.

Author:   SpaceWalker
Date:   Jan 25, 13 at 11:13am (PST)
It's not so much a "cure", as it is a method of prevention. I guess it could be construed as a vaccine for AIDS, in a way.

Author:   Yick
Date:   Jan 25, 13 at 11:57am (PST)
I live in London, ON. The university here (Western University) operates a research park. In said research park, there is an HIV cure going through (I believe) stage two clinical trials. There is also a cure for diabetes just chillin', that can't get approved by Ministry of Health or the pharmaceutical companies.

Sad really. Makes you wonder how many world-altering discoveries are being wasted because they can't get past the bureaucratic bullshit.

Author:   harbin
Date:   Jan 25, 13 at 12:04pm (PST)
So it's not a full blown cure for those who already have HIV but it will stop the progression into AIDS, which gives the body's immune system a better chance to fight the infection off. That in itself is progress and a start and it's good to see advances in a medical science for a disease which has gained a widespread pandemic status despite only actually been discovered for around four-five decades.

Shame that alot of potential cures get held up in legalities and cost disputes. I understand that pharmaceutical companies invest tons of money in drugs and understand they want at least that money back and a good return of investment but sometimes there is a bigger picture here. HIV/AIDS has a restrictive transmission method, it isn't airborne, waterborne and cannot be spread through touch. Anything that stops the virus progressing further to allow it to be fought off can protentially with time and a coordinated effort eradicate it.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.