Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: What's a continent again? - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/18/t1822247-whats-continent-again/

Author:   Triforce of Wisdom
Date:   Jan 24, 13 at 5:23pm (PST)
Subject:   What's a continent again?
-------------------------------------------
So I'm sitting in biology this morning when suddenly the row behind me bursts out laughing in the middle of class. I have no idea what they're laughing about so I just keep doing my work until the girl behind me leans forward and says "You're never going to believe what Kate just said."

Now, Kate is pretty infamous in the class for being a complete moron. She transferred to my (private) school from the local public school at the beginning of this year. It took us twenty minutes of convincing and an atlas to show her that driving south from Texas won't take you to Canada. Just yesterday, she tried to argue that Boston is in Maryland. Wondering what she'd done now, I just had to ask.

"She told me Asia is a country and China is a state in it."

No. No *bleep*ing way. We're seniors in high school and there was no way in hell she didn't know that Asia was a continent. I didn't get to talk to her until lunch when she confirmed the rumor with "How was I supposed to know?", then "Yes, I can find the US on a map, I'm not stupid!" She then told me to quiz her on geography. I decided I'd start simple so she wouldn't hurt herself.

"Start naming some continents, Kate."

"Asia." Yes, that was okay. There was a minute-long pause as her brain grasped for another continent. With anyone else I would've thought she was joking, but the blank, goldfish-like stare on her face told me otherwise. Her next guess was the United States, followed by Canada, Mexico and Alaska. I took pity on her and named North America, at which point she said "I knew that" and gave up.

Every have any experiences with people like this? Was your education this bad? At what age could you tell a continent from a country?

Public school education in Pennsylvania, folks.

Author:   Ben73
Date:   Jan 24, 13 at 5:46pm (PST)
Subject:   re: What's a continent again?
Never someone that bad. I'm sure my little brother could name most continents.
We thought it was funny when a friend forgot how to spell ALL when we were 11.

Author:   Quierta
Date:   Jan 24, 13 at 6:25pm (PST)
Haha, lawd.

I remember back in the 11th grade (jesus that was so long ago) when we were playing some trivia game in History class to prepare for a huge test. This kid Vincent, one of those airbrained 'lol i don't care about school i dont need smarts' types is up at the front, asking us trivia questions based on what the teacher told us was on the test.

He starts asking us this question about a country. I completely forget what the question was so we'll just say it was... "What country is known for ______?"

We start naming off countries, and we KNOW that we got the right answer at least once. He keeps saying 'no, no, none of you got it!'

After about 20 minutes of severe frustration, some girl gets up, grabs the book, he points to the country and she says, "Europe is a continent."

It was awful.

Author:   Mouldy Cheese
Date:   Jan 24, 13 at 6:33pm (PST)
Oh man...I would have face palmed my hand right through my head ;_;

Public schools aren't all bad though! I went to a public school that was pretty decent and a decent amount of my classmates went on to complete a tertiary education.

Author:   walnuts
Date:   Jan 24, 13 at 6:40pm (PST)
quote Mouldy Cheese

Public schools aren't all bad though! I went to a public school that was pretty decent and a decent amount of my classmates went on to complete a tertiary education.

Public schools in Australia =/= public schools in America

That said, I would hope this girl is an outlier and not the norm D:

Author:   Tommy Vercetti
Date:   Jan 24, 13 at 6:53pm (PST)
I feel bad for that girl, even if I never met her. For her sake I hope someone looks out for her lol.

Author:   Best Player Ever
Date:   Jan 24, 13 at 7:00pm (PST)
quote walnuts
quote Mouldy Cheese

Public schools in Australia =/= public schools in America

That said, I would hope this girl is an outlier and not the norm D:
Not the norm, but it's not super rare for it to happen.

And it's not because the educational system here is the absolute worst thing to happen to humanity, but some people refuse to have information enter their brains.

I usually stick to advance classes, so I don't see it myself as often, but about two years or so ago, there was one girl who kept asking, "what is ____?" no later than a minute after the teacher said it. It was annoying because it really slowed the class down having to repeat the same things over and over again because one girl wouldn't get off her phone, yet insist on having the teacher repeat what she said.

Author:   Aevers
Date:   Jan 24, 13 at 7:22pm (PST)
Miss Hoover, what's a continent?

Author:   Quierta
Date:   Jan 24, 13 at 7:25pm (PST)
quote Aevers
Miss Hoover, what's a continent?
lol

its that stuff you put on your sandwiches, hotdogs, etc.

Author:   ShadowCrystallux
Date:   Jan 24, 13 at 7:33pm (PST)
Meh, I'm in a Independent Secondary College: aka, a Public School that gets to act like a Private School. I'm in the top streams for everything so more or less, I don't have morons in my core subjects. But it's always funny when you're in 8th grade computer literacy and some absolute idiot (non-streamed additional subjects ftw) tries telling us that Nike and Adidas make computer software . Oh, how that one makes me chuckle.

Author:   MyShilohMy
Date:   Jan 24, 13 at 7:51pm (PST)
I'm a cashier and I had a lady once come up to me and say, "These roller skates say for ages 2-6 and they are a size 6. (Making up the sizes, I forget exactly). My daughter's foot size is an 8, but she's 4 years old. Will these still work on her?"

I paused for a moment to think of what to say without getting fired, and just said "Will the shoes that are two sizes too small somehow magically fit on your kids feet simply because she's in the age range? No."

The lady, not realizing I was making fun of her said "But she's right in the middle of the age range. The box even says so."

Me, getting tired of this *bleep*ing retard, said "If the foot is bigger than the shoe, it won't get in. It's as simple as that."

Then she walked away.

I've also had people complain touch screen pens for our credit card machine were out of ink. I usually just say, "Oh sorry we just ordered a new shipment of touch screen ink today." With a straight face. I hate people.

Author:   Stodie
Date:   Jan 24, 13 at 8:43pm (PST)
quote MyShilohMy
I've also had people complain touch screen pens for our credit card machine were out of ink. I usually just say, "Oh sorry we just ordered a new shipment of touch screen ink today." With a straight face. I hate people.

We had this one girl in a world history class and we were discussing the Cold War, and how the Soviet Union were developing nukes. Now she either must have never heard of the term "nuclear" or had a severe instance of stupidity, because the next question she asked was "What are they gonna do, microwave us?

Author:   Strawberryclock
Date:   Jan 24, 13 at 8:54pm (PST)
When I was about 4 I forgot how to eat hotdogs once.

Author:   Kaiba
Date:   Jan 24, 13 at 9:20pm (PST)
I believe you'll find that if you ask everyone here both what a continent is as well as how many continents there are, you'll get vastly differing answers.

What do I mean? Well, just give this video a quick watch and you'll find out:

So, what defines a continent? How many are there?

Of course, this doesn't excuse the silliness of the girl described in the OP, but I felt that this shouldn't go without being pointed out. Not everybody can really agree on what or how many continents there are.

Author:   thewatermeloncult
Date:   Jan 24, 13 at 10:09pm (PST)
You can get the reading comprehension tests read to you if you don't think you can handle it at my school.

I wish I were joking.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.