Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: How would you enhance a traditional controller? - page 2

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/18/t1821552-how-would-you-enhance-traditional-controller/2.htm

Author:   KR_1250
Date:   Jan 23, 13 at 7:21am (PST)
Subject:   re: How would you enhance a traditional controller?
-------------------------------------------
quote black doom
Them: "Getting annoyed solves nothing."
Friend: "Did you ever complete the fire temple in "Zeldalike"?"
Haha, yeah exactly. Then theres peoplelike me who'd never get past the calm bits.

And Xperious I think your touch screen idea has potential and sounds the most likely out of the ideas so far. But I can see some problems. First of all the screen would have to be small to limit the size of the controller. Especially if some of the other suggestions here were also implimented. I have mental image here of a controller that looks more like a skateboard.

Second of all we'd all need to be very careful not to damage them. Controllers live a pretty rough life. I can see Call Of Duty destroying more than a few of these controllers LOL.

However its still a great idea if implimented well. I can see it being very useful for minimaps, using equipment in shooters and viewing race positions and leaderboards in racing games. As well as potentially provding a decent in-game video chat function for your mates.

This thread has generated some nice ideas.

Author:   BlackLabel
Date:   Jan 23, 13 at 7:22am (PST)
quote Nightmare Samurai
I'd make it a Dualshock Controller.
And if you don't agree that these are the best controllers, you're a goddamn lier.
Rumour has it Sony are ditching the Dualshock design after 16 years in production for the next PlayStation.

Author:   KR_1250
Date:   Jan 23, 13 at 7:25am (PST)
quote BlackLabel
Rumour has it Sony are ditching the Dualshock design after 16 years in production for the next PlayStation.
DAYUM!

I abandoned SONY years ago but still have to admit the playstation style controller is my favourite ever created. I had an aftermarket "Wildcat" one or something which was just excellent.

Pisses all over the 360 controller for me.

Author:   BlackLabel
Date:   Jan 23, 13 at 7:30am (PST)
quote KR_1250
quote BlackLabel
DAYUM!

I abandoned SONY years ago but still have to admit the playstation style controller is my favourite ever created. I had an aftermarket "Wildcat" one or something which was just excellent.

Pisses all over the 360 controller for me.
Yeah I've had so many good years with the Dualshock controller and while I don't play PlayStation much anymore I still use the controller on PC as it is just better. I'm quite fond of the Xbox 360 controller but it could be improved in many areas which I couldn't say the same for with the Dualshock. I hope if the rumour is true the replacement is better in every way somehow.

Author:   Nightmare Samurai
Date:   Jan 23, 13 at 7:37am (PST)
quote BlackLabel
quote Nightmare Samurai
And if you don't agree that these are the best controllers, you're a goddamn lier.
People threw a fit when they tried that before. Chances are that, in the end, Sony will upgrade onto the Dualshock, but they'll keep the design pretty much in tact.
Besides, the next gen isn't looking too promising anyway.

Author:   black doom
Date:   Jan 23, 13 at 11:08am (PST)
quote Xperious
A touch screen.
Unlike games on Ipods and smartphones, a touchscreen controller that also has the traditional butons is the next step forward. When the original Wii came out, everyone was so hyped about motion controls, but I wasn't impressed. The WiiU on the other hand, I thought was awesome and its touchscreen looked like it complimented the gameplay of pretty much all types of games.

In a world obsessed with touchscreens, putting one on a game controller is the most logical step to move gaming forward as a whole
I love Nintendo, and I also find the Wii-U's Gamepad controller amazing to play with, but I think it is the closest you can get to a traditional controller while implementing a proper touchscreen; or at-least the closet you can get to a traditional controller without risking the loss of some functionality.

But although I think the redesign of the controller is genius I am open to other ideas of how to implement a touchscreen while maintaining the traditional shape.

Another thought, featured in the Gamepad but also ideal for a traditional shaped controller, is to add sound to the controller.

Author:   Distortion
Date:   Jan 23, 13 at 1:20pm (PST)
quote Nightmare Samurai
Gamecube Controller.

Your move.

Author:   Ascii
Date:   Jan 23, 13 at 1:22pm (PST)
Put a comfy hole in it and make it vibrate.

Author:   ims2golfer
Date:   Jan 23, 13 at 1:32pm (PST)
quote Distortion
quote Nightmare Samurai
Gamecube Controller.

Your move.

Pretty much this. GC controller was a lot more sturdy and comfortable than any Dualshock.

Author:   black doom
Date:   Jan 23, 13 at 4:55pm (PST)
quote ims2golfer
quote Distortion
quote Nightmare Samurai
Gamecube Controller.

Your move.

Pretty much this. GC controller was a lot more sturdy and comfortable than any Dualshock.

I had a friend who used to think the Dualshock was the world's greatest controller. I got him a Gamecube for Christmas and, as much as he is loving Wind-Waker, the Gamecube controller is apparently his favorite thing about it.

It may in-fact be why I set this thread to use the sixth generation as its basis. Granted the more likely reason was that it was just plain easier to do so but still.

Author:   person_47
Date:   Jan 23, 13 at 5:58pm (PST)
quote Shadow of Truth
Put a comfy hole in it and make it vibrate.
*bleep* off as if I come to this thread intending to solely write "blowjob attachment". Really didnt think that one would be taken.

Author:   DedValve
Date:   Jan 23, 13 at 6:24pm (PST)
Track balls, buttons that go down easy yet have a silent tactile click to know that you pressed them. Screens would be great for inventory management but not necessary. Xbox 360 triggers where a great start but they could feel more like triggers that with enough pressure has one easy motion yet if you gently apply pressure it requires an extra squeeze to go all the way down.

Bumpers of a 360, d-pad of a WiiU, left analog of a 360 (with more precision) and right track ball and something that can detect pressure for when you squeeze the controller, that would be cool and I could definitely see uses for it.

I'm curious to see what Valve comes up with a controller.

Author:   Dreadlock Holiday
Date:   Jan 23, 13 at 8:58pm (PST)
I wouldn't want to go all out and change a simple controller that is useful enough, just add buttons that respond to pressure, walking slow to running fast, single shot or Automatic fire, grapples to punches etc.

Author:   Short Circuit
Date:   Jan 23, 13 at 10:40pm (PST)
Cooling fans built into the handles for your hands. I know that this already exists, but it needs to be a standard feature.

And yeah, the Gamecube controller was and always will be the best. X360 is pretty good too, and I've never touched a playstation.

What's so good about the dualshock?

Author:   Jak66
Date:   Jan 23, 13 at 10:58pm (PST)
Stickers.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.