Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: At it again. - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/18/t1816513-at-again/

Author:   harbin
Date:   Jan 10, 13 at 5:07pm (PST)
Subject:   At it again.
-------------------------------------------
Californian teacher talks student out of high school shooting

A teacher at a high school in California has been praised by police for averting a serious shooting incident.

The teacher and a campus supervisor talked a gunman into putting down his weapon after he had shot and injured one pupil at Taft Union High School.

Police said the gunman had enough ammunition to kill many people.

The injured student was taken to hospital in an air ambulance and is in a critical condition.

The drama started after 09:00 local time (17:00 GMT) when the gunman, also a student, arrived late, armed with a shotgun, at the school in the small town in California's central valley.

Students and staff telephoned police, but before officers could arrive, the suspect had shot at two people in a class in the science block. One shot missed its target.

The teacher, who had been grazed by a pellet, then intervened. He is reported by US media to have warned the suspect that there would be no shooting in his class, at which point the gunman put down his weapon and police officers arrested him.

Parents of pupils at the school said the suspect had been suspended last year from the school 120 miles (190km) north of Los Angeles.

Deputies from the local sheriff''s office and town officials conducted a search of the school and its grounds to make sure no-one else was involved and all other students were safe.

The shooting comes four weeks after a gunman killed 26 pupils and staff at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut.

That incident has provoked a nationwide debate about gun laws in the US Vice-President Joe Biden has said his task force on gun control will make its recommendations to President Barack Obama as early as Tuesday.

Taft Union High School will be closed for classes on Friday, but will have counsellors on campus to talk to worried students.

Former pupils of the school include the distinguished US Air Force pilot, General Gordon Graham, the American football player Russell Letlow and the television actress Jeanne Cooper.
SAUCE

And the NRA still think teachers should carry guns in school. Atleast this was one disaster that got averted, but TBH a shotgun ain't the best thing to carry out a shoot up with.

Author:   Paranoid Android
Date:   Jan 10, 13 at 5:10pm (PST)
Subject:   re: At it again.
inb4 the radicals come charging in and start advocating the evilness of guns

Author:   Dreadlock Holiday
Date:   Jan 10, 13 at 5:12pm (PST)
No teacher should carry a gun around a school, that isn't the answer at all. I don't live in America, so I can't really can't compare to our schools, but the worst I've seen was a teacher that carried a pepper spray canister around, and threatened to spray a kid with it.

I can't justify, nor can I see how anyone can justify mass shooting because they are mixed up and hate the world, just off yourself.

Author:   Triforce of Wisdom
Date:   Jan 10, 13 at 5:25pm (PST)
This happens so much over here they don't even bother reporting it anymore.

Makes you a little sick. My school had a shooting just over 10 years ago and I don't know what we'd do if it happened again.

Author:   kingy
Date:   Jan 10, 13 at 5:25pm (PST)
Removing guns from the people and expecting it to abolish shootings is like duct taping a child's mouth shut and expecting it to stop crying.

But guns shouldn't be more prevalent either. A good guy with a gun may stop a bad guy with a gun, but how do you distinguish a good guy from a bad guy when handing them a gun? A kind face and clear record can fool anybody.

I say if you're going to issue a gun to someone, give them a completely anal and thorough background check, covering mental issues in one section. If you pass, lock the gun in a safe at home when its not in use.

Author:   Ben73
Date:   Jan 10, 13 at 5:34pm (PST)
Teacher shouldn't of talked to him. He should of had a gun to shoot him with fight fire with fire

Author:   Al The Killer
Date:   Jan 10, 13 at 5:39pm (PST)
And comments like that are why every nutcase has a gun.

Author:   Cheeseman
Date:   Jan 10, 13 at 6:42pm (PST)

Students and staff telephoned police, but before officers could arrive, the suspect had shot at two people in a class in the science block. One shot missed its target.

How the *bleep* do you miss with a shotgun... more like it was a warning shot.

Author:   thewatermeloncult
Date:   Jan 10, 13 at 9:13pm (PST)
quote KINGX2
Removing guns from the people and expecting it to abolish shootings is like duct taping a child's mouth shut and expecting it to stop crying.

But guns shouldn't be more prevalent either. A good guy with a gun may stop a bad guy with a gun, but how do you distinguish a good guy from a bad guy when handing them a gun? A kind face and clear record can fool anybody.

I say if you're going to issue a gun to someone, give them a completely anal and thorough background check, covering mental issues in one section. If you pass, lock the gun in a safe at home when its not in use.

Just out of curiosity, how easy is it to get a gun in the states? I had to take a written and a practical test to get my license and still can't buy a gun until I turn 18.

Author:   Duncan Idaho
Date:   Jan 10, 13 at 9:18pm (PST)
quote thewatermeloncult
quote KINGX2

Just out of curiosity, how easy is it to get a gun in the states? I had to take a written and a practical test to get my license and still can't buy a gun until I turn 18.
My understanding is that even wal-mart sells them, and the ammo, for discount prices.

Date:   Jan 10, 13 at 9:21pm (PST)
quote Duncan Idaho
My understanding is that even wal-mart sells them, and the ammo, for discount prices.
I've heard that before too but I've also heard it's changed since then.

Author:   Duncan Idaho
Date:   Jan 10, 13 at 9:22pm (PST)
quote thewatermeloncult
quote Duncan Idaho
I've heard that before too but I've also heard it's changed since then.
reality seems to disprove that, i am not american, and getting a gun where i live is difficult as F***, of course i dont want a gun, but i can consider learning how use one.

Author:   Smell The Chiken
Date:   Jan 10, 13 at 9:23pm (PST)
quote thewatermeloncult
quote KINGX2

My mother's friend picked one up a few months ago. Walked in, walked out with a gun.

I personally don't see why anyone needs to have a gun. The whole "I'd use my gun to stop the gunman" doesn't hold up if the gunman doesn't have a gun.

Author:   Paranoid Android
Date:   Jan 10, 13 at 9:24pm (PST)
quote Peutix
quote Paranoid Android
inb4 the radicals come charging in and start advocating the evilness of guns
Okay then, please tell us why taking away guns would not be a net benefit to society.
Sure, I'd love to. I'll throw you a couple of quotes of mine for you to naw at for a bit.

quote Paranoid Android
quote Paradox
quote Duncan Idaho
quote Paradox
banning guns would have no effect on the US unless the government tries to forcefully take them away from everyone.

Then you have a civil war.
then there is an easy fix of sorts, you can make the government pay the people for the guns they own, afterall greed will always turn to be a usefull tool.
Oh that's great! Let the government have all the weapons and let the population be disarmed. It's not like that stupid decision might not affect anyone 50 or 100 years down the line when the American government could be radically different or more totalitarian. The taking over of a nation by another country, political party, etc is preceded by the disarming of a nation.

Not to mention that said criminals who have firearms could always smuggle them from neighboring countries, and use them against civilians who were disarmed. Yay for more government and criminal power!
100% agree with you. Firearms are often necessary for both authorities and regular civilians. Banning civilians from owning them is a real bad thing the government could do, if you think a little bit. And I don't mean because it's a violation of the second amendment. The economy would be impacted, people whose livelihoods revolve around firearms and hunting would suffer, more people will end up dead or harmed due to a lack of lethal defense, etc.

Like I said countless times, just because something terrible happens involving a particular thing, doesn't mean it should be outlawed. That mentality of thinking is unconstitutional, dangerous, and tyrannic.
quote Paranoid Android
quote Short Circuit
This argument that civilians need guns to protect themselves from criminals is ridiculous. People don't carry them around on themselves 24/7. They might be ambushed without their gun, owning one won't help them in that situation if it's back at home in the cupboard.

Some of you make it sound as though everyone is walking around with gun in hand, and having civilian vs. criminal shootouts.
How could you possibly know that? In the past week, there have been about five gun-related murders in the city I live in. The victims were unarmed and weren't able to do much. Why do you think a law will prevent someone from doing something? As I said above, a no gun law will give criminals the upper hand. Laws aren't entirely effective and people are able to get what they want, when they want it, regardless of its legality.

Bet you didn't hear of the incident that occurred not too long ago where a disgruntled man shot and killed his ex girlfriend in a restaurant, and a bystander who was licensed to own a pistol shot the killer dead before he was able to go on a shooting spree in the place.

According to your logic, you should dispose of your kitchen knives. Even though they serve a perfectly legitimate role, they've been used for murders and shankings. You're a hypocrite if you think you should keep them.
I'm also sure Paradox and demonfurby would like to make a cameo here.

Date:   Jan 10, 13 at 9:46pm (PST)
quote Duncan Idaho
reality seems to disprove that, i am not american, and getting a gun where i live is difficult as F***, of course i dont want a gun, but i can consider learning how use one.
Yeah I wouldn't have a use for a gun even if I got one. I can handle them alright, but I don't really like to.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.