Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Touch Typing or Search-And-Jab? - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/18/t1803819-touch-typing-search-jab/

Author:   Kaiba
Date:   Dec 10, 12 at 7:44pm (PST)
Subject:   Touch Typing or Search-And-Jab?
-------------------------------------------
Do you touch-type or do have to look at the keyboard, search for the desired key each time, and jab it?

I've touch-typed since I took Keyboarding Sophomore year of High School. Which was about...5 years ago. I have to say, I'm very happy I took that class, because touch-typing is the best thing evar. Before that, I search-and-jab'd it up. I was actually pretty quick with it. But no matter how fast I could have been that way, it can't compare to not having to look at the keyboard. <3

Author:   Polarity
Date:   Dec 10, 12 at 9:01pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Touch Typing or Search-And-Jab?
It really depends. If I find myself constantly *bleep*ing up, I'll look at the keyboard. if not, I'll just touch type like nearly everybody else on the internet.

Author:   sneekyweezel
Date:   Dec 10, 12 at 9:12pm (PST)
Nope i guess i just search and jab, cauz it doesn't really matter though unless you're a secretary or a stenographer.

Author:   Chaos Team
Date:   Dec 10, 12 at 9:12pm (PST)
I look at the keyboard to find my first key and then I look at the screen from there. I don't have the whole asdfjkl; home key type with certain fingers for certain keys method that actual good typists have, but I get the job done pretty quickly. :L In my 3 years at Neo I've learned to type just by memorizing the keyboard, I don't really know. xD

Author:   Quierta
Date:   Dec 10, 12 at 9:20pm (PST)
I touch type but I don't do it the 'right way.' There's a special way you have to lay your hands on the keyboard but I don't do that. My fingers just hit whatever they're closest to. I don't even use my pinkies for anything, or my ring fingers... still, I clock in at 100+WPM so I don't have a problem with it.

Author:   Lesley Pro_04
Date:   Dec 10, 12 at 9:34pm (PST)
Damn Quierta, that's a little more than twice the typing speed that I've been clocked at! My WPM is in the range of 45-50!

I go with touch typing, but I'll search for the right keys if I start to screw my typing up and/or lining up my fingers on the wrong keys, which does happen from time to time.

Author:   John234MKWii
Date:   Dec 10, 12 at 10:39pm (PST)
The keyboards are always buttons, but there is a touch pad, so touch typing.

Author:   Crusad3r
Date:   Dec 10, 12 at 10:43pm (PST)
I touch type, but not the right way either. my left pinky doesn't do anything except hit the "a" and left shift, which is technically wrong. Oh well.

Author:   hiigaran
Date:   Dec 10, 12 at 11:16pm (PST)
i do a mix of both. usually i start out looking at the keyboard, but then once i get going, i dont bother with looking anymore. considering im chained to my computer voluntarily for most of the day, my WPM is at quierta-levels :

Author:   Mouldy Cheese
Date:   Dec 10, 12 at 11:19pm (PST)
I have a kind of...combination of the two. I don't perfectly touch type, and to be honest I'm not entirely sure how to (nor am I overly keen to learn) but I can type quickly and without having to look at the keyboard. I don't tend to use my little fingers aside from the occasional "a" tap.

Author:   walnuts
Date:   Dec 10, 12 at 11:22pm (PST)
Mix of the two really, although I've never found the need as a web programmer to need to type at 100+ WPM yet, so yeah, the need isn't there for me to learn otherwise.

Author:   jbh
Date:   Dec 10, 12 at 11:25pm (PST)
Touch typing, but like Quierta said. Not the "right way"... Nothing meant to the OP, I'm glad you benefited from it. But the thought of taking a class to use a keyboard correctly baffles me... It's been a while since I've taken a test but my WPM was pretty high, around the late 80s-early 90s I believe.

quote John234MKWii
The keyboards are always buttons, but there is a touch pad, so touch typing.
Touch typing is the ability to type without having to look down at the keys

Author:   Lyonnais
Date:   Dec 10, 12 at 11:31pm (PST)
I used to be able to type as fast as Quierta, but I'm seriously out of practice. I don't remember the last time I had to actually type that fast. If I'm writing an essay, or typing a post I normally stop every couple of lines as my brain processes what I'm writing down or something.

And I seriously never look at my keyboard either when I'm typing so I don't think this search-and-jab concept applies to me.

Learned it in Middle School in a class where we had to keep our backs straight, and our mouths shut. Literally no one talked in that class... was quite impressive actually but it was uncomfortable. Showed me how to type correctly though.

And when does anyone need to be able to type 100 WPM? Seriously?

Author:   hiigaran
Date:   Dec 10, 12 at 11:33pm (PST)
of course they do! that way they can be doing what walnuts is doing, and finish coding faster. the faster you finish, the more free time you have!

EDIT: or you just do it to increase your e-peen faster...like me!

Author:   Superwalnut
Date:   Dec 11, 12 at 12:03am (PST)
Hai Kaiba.

And yeah, I search and jab, but I can manage 60ish words per minute.

Pretty good.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.