Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Wakaman vs. Beggars - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/18/t1759305-wakaman-vs-beggars/

Author:   Wakaman
Date:   Sep 09, 12 at 9:53pm (PST)
Subject:   Wakaman vs. Beggars
-------------------------------------------
Good day fellow people of the internet, today I shall be taking over Scott Cee's duties of comical yet meaningful rants.

So how was everyone's Weekend? I hope it went better than my own. So as you might know the South of the US of A has been getting quite the cloudy with a chance of Hurricane weather as of late. It poured all last week into the weekend which made it frustrating to even go out, but out we went and this brings me to the subject of the rant.

We went to a small Chinese restaurant Friday and ordered some food, it was amazing but let me tell you now, the prices were criminal. Now as we waited to get our food we went next door to the grocery store and bought some soda pop. We decided it'd be best to stay in the warmth of the vehicle whilst we waited and there was a guy out front asking for money. Ofcourse this being the harsh ghetto pretty much everyone told him where to take his begging, certainly wasn't inside for some food mind you.

Our food was ready so I went inside to pay the woman(and what a woman, she was past her 20s though she didn't look a day over 13) and as I came out the poor man was at tears begging for a bit of food. Now normally I pay the hobos no mind as they usually go straight to buy alcohol but this man broke Mr. Grinch's heart I tell you. I could see he was indeed quite starving so I went back inside with the man and paid for his desired meal. .

I won't lie, it felt great helping out a fellow person in need.

So I ask of you Loungin', do you take the time to look into the beggars' souls and give them some money or do you ignore them all?
What beggars have you come across?

Author:   Rouge Elite
Date:   Sep 09, 12 at 10:06pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Wakaman vs. Beggars
I see them outside of walmart, but I ignore them why because:
1. I'm 14 so I have no money
2. It's obvious they are druggies and/or smoke.

lol Wakaman you pedo checking out a girl you say looks 13.

Date:   Sep 09, 12 at 10:22pm (PST)
quote Rouge Elite
I see them outside of walmart, but I ignore them why because:
1. I'm 14 so I have no money
2. It's obvious they are druggies and/or smoke.

lol Wakaman you pedo checking out a girl you say looks 13.

Well it's not like I had a choice, I couldn't be all antisocial and not look her in the face. And false sir, I believe it would make me some sort of lolicon.

Author:   jbh
Date:   Sep 09, 12 at 11:15pm (PST)
I don't approve of this thread, I think this would be better suited for a blog.

On topic though, if I have my wallet on me I'll usually throw them a fiver. Depends on if they look like the type to spend it on booze and such.

Author:   Charlie
Date:   Sep 09, 12 at 11:17pm (PST)
I try not to think of the whole "they're going to just buy drugs or alchoal" stereotype, but it's hard not to.

I haven't seen any homeless people recently. But sometimes I have the heart to just give them something. I don't do it to make myself look good because I don't give a shit what people think. I would just feel really bad if I didn't give the person money and later on I would be like "I really should of". I mean, some of them do go and buy drugs right away, but giving up like 5 dollars won't kill you even if they do that. It's not like you need to do it all the time either. It does make me a bit mad if they do that though, but oh well. Sometimes they look like the type to just use it on alcohol or something too and I'm like "errr no".

This reminds me of my Senior class trip to Washington, DC. There are a lot of homeless people there it seems. Anyways, one of my friends gave money to a homeless person, but he only wanted to give him like a 5 and accidentally gave him a 20 iirc lol. .__.' I live in Lancaster which is literally right next to Philadelphia and there are a lot of homeless people in some area in Philly. Like 4 years ago (I think) when I was in Philly with my dad and cousin. Some guy asked us for money and we said no. I don't know, sometimes you just don't want to be bothered.....as bad as that sounds.

This reminds me of the people who ring the little bell for charities and whatnot and you put money in the box. Sometimes I'm just like "damn it why not". I just feel a lot better after I do stuff like this. Because I have EVERYTHING and homeless people/poor people have nothing. It's not going to hurt me to give away a little bit of my money to help. A lot of people wish they could brush their teeth everyday.

Edit; Damn, I ranted hardcore.

Date:   Sep 09, 12 at 11:36pm (PST)
quote jbh
I don't approve of this thread, I think this would be better suited for a blog.

On topic though, if I have my wallet on me I'll usually throw them a fiver. Depends on if they look like the type to spend it on booze and such.
You're probably right, but I'm not much of a blogger and I genuinely wanted to know how people react to hobos asking for money/stuff. This way I get to see that and not feel like some sort of attention whore which I believe most bloggers are.

Charlie I don't like it either but sometimes you can't help but think about it. The thought just creeps up on you.

Depending on what part of town I'm in I can see them nearly on every street/corner or not even, which saddens me. Speaking of refusing my old man did refuse a clear drunk and dude went batshit. There have been times where I feel bad that we can't give them any because we don't have any ourselves.

Author:   harbin
Date:   Sep 09, 12 at 11:49pm (PST)
I usually do just ignore them since alot of them are professional beggars who make it their job to beg even though they have a cushier lifestyle than most. They pretty much get out of bed early, put on raggy clothes, take a scruffy looking dog with them with their violin case, and sit in a tunnel somewhere where they don't expect to get moved on. Thing is, would beggars actually keep pets or a violin case to collect change? No, they're homeless and would've cash it in long ago... not to mention that they wouldn't be able to afford a pet.

Now for those that are genuinely homeless through no fault of their own then I can only sympathise, but chances are that most you'll meet on the street aren't genuine, but even then there are various charities and schemes designed to atleast help get their life back on track, such as some reputable clothes, a small but more comfortable bedsit, food and drink, enough to sustain and help people back into work.

Author:   SoraCloud
Date:   Sep 10, 12 at 12:05am (PST)
I never give homeless people any sort of money. If they really seem desperate I'll go up to them and ask them when they last ate and I'll offer to buy them food and I'll go take them to McDonalds and buy them some cheeseburgers, fries, and a soda. But that's about it.

My girlfriend on the other hand... ugh, she always feels bad when she sees homeless people, so she will end up giving them a ridiculous amount of money. Like 20 or 50 bucks, I get the sentiment and that she's trying to be a good person but I always tell her they will probably spend it on booze/drugs, yeah I know its a stereotype but a lot of the ones I see I know are drug addicts and what not. One time she even gave this one homeless woman her diamond earrings. I was in disbelief. Everytime I'm with her I always make sure to not let her hand out money, but this one time she evaded me and gave the homeless chick her diamond freaking earrings.

Author:   Vicarious
Date:   Sep 10, 12 at 12:38am (PST)
SoraCloud dude that's crazy. I can see myself giving money but not diamond earrings.

I see some homeless people around but I have never talked to one. I don't live in a big city so they aren't as common as I'm sure they are there.

Date:   Sep 10, 12 at 12:41am (PST)
The Pursuit Yeah they are somewhat common over here.

Yeah dude... her family is pretty damn wealthy, so she has A LOT, like A LOT of money so she feels like she always has to give out money or buy things for people.

Author:   Vicarious
Date:   Sep 10, 12 at 12:43am (PST)
At least she is a good person .

So is she single? ;D

Date:   Sep 10, 12 at 12:55am (PST)
quote The Pursuit
At least she is a good person .

So is she single? ;D

Oh dude I'm not sure I'm pretty sure she's involved with some one... ahem.

Author:   pokemon speedy
Date:   Sep 10, 12 at 1:50am (PST)
I have no reason to even give to them as every time I have they conveniently forget and then bad mouth me when I walk away the last insult was "tosser" I believe and he fit the bill as a man with dog and case but he was on drugs or booze just from a scent of his breath that and you can tell a druggie through their eyes.

Any homeless lot around Leeds are the drugs and beer kind I'm not being generic I'm just in the town centre alot and I walk alot too so I see them all pretty much every time on my travels. One short incident pissed me off something rotten and generally put me off the idea of helping any of them around Leeds.

It was after the England Vs Germany game 2010 and I was on my way home having watched it at a club in town as I figured I'd soak up a little of the booze by going to Mcdonald's. I watched this "homeless" man walk in then walk out with a big bag of food (I saw him holding £10) I got my stuff then proceeded to leave to have my stuff outside, he comes up to me asking me for £1 for a bus home as he has nothing, I think he must have thought I didn't see him earlier because I argued with him that had he saved his money even if he just bought 1 less item he would have been fine and that any £1 trip is pretty much 20mins walking distance at max so I refused him bad mouthing me as expected. I knew he was carrying enough I know my math is pretty sharp he only had a big mac meal and a medium one at that so he was carrying atleast £5

Author:   Vex the Pirate
Date:   Sep 10, 12 at 2:11am (PST)
It depends how all there the beggar is tbh. That sounds really horrible like HOMELESS AND MENTALLY UNSTABLE? Get away from me ew. But really it's just been drilled into me because my area had like, a mental institution that closed down, and 'cause of lack of space a lot of the patients couldn't be transferred and got put on home visits and then eventually became homeless 'cause they're crazy. Anyway my paranoid mother taught me from a young age to NOT TALK TO THE HOMELESS PEOPLE they might be dangerous (because all people that go to mental institutions are serial killers obv :L)

But yeah if they're a stable and charming young homeless chap i'm willing to help them.

Author:   Tay Rex
Date:   Sep 10, 12 at 2:34am (PST)
They make me feel really uncomfortable to be honest. When I went on holiday to Slovakia with my family, we were at a restaurant eating outside. Several homeless people came up to our table whilst we were eating our dinners and didn't really want to be disturbed to beg for money. We don't know any Slovakian and we didn't have any change anyway. One of them had converse so I was a bit skeptical.

In the UK, there are plenty of charities that help the poor and soup kitchens etc. I would much sooner donate money to these charities than give money to somebody who may not actually spend it on necessities.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.