Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Piracy - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/18/t1757473-piracy/

Author:   babayboy
Date:   Aug 31, 12 at 3:25am (PST)
Subject:   Piracy
-------------------------------------------
What is your view on it? Is it fully wrong, or is it just viewed in a wrong way?

I will start by giving my honest oppinion.

I have lots count of the times i have played a shitty game that cost me £50 and had to trade it back in for half the price!!
It happens alot, a game comes along that its hyped to be the next best game around........and its shit.

I won't lie now, i have pireted games before....... But i do it in my own way........... It may still be wrong or it maybe just a way to over come the pile of shit that the game industry fire out every year!

See I like to download a game, Play through it if i hate it, i will delete it and move on....... but if i love it and finish it, I will go to the shop or go online and buy the game! even if i have already completed it, just to show my appreciation.

When you have to spend £50 per game, you really have to be very picky about what game you buy and that may make you miss out on some real amazing games, unless you play them before you pay for them, that way you know exactly what you have! and if you really like the game you will want to pay for it anyway.

Thats just my view, why should i pay £50 for a game that i played for 40mins and end up hating!!

Its not like movie piracy, thats just wrong! Its only £4 to rent a movie and £8 to watch it in the cinema.... Its not a big waste of money if the movie is shit.

Anyway! what do you guys think??

I am all up for supporting game companies that give us good products that are worth the asking price!

Not like COD! that should go down in price every year......... same with fifa!! they maybe good fun games, But they hardly change each year and people still have to pay full price for them! Its crazy! If anything we are the people getting robbed!

Author:   walnuts
Date:   Aug 31, 12 at 3:42am (PST)
Subject:   re: Piracy
No matter what way you slice and dice it, you're stealing. You can try and justify it all you want, and some people will even be sympathetic and agree with you. However, you are partaking in goods and services in which you did not pay for, which is the very definition of stealing.

So yeah, no point in justifying it in my honest opinion, because there is no justification for it. Just do it because you can, and settle with yourself the ethical and moral implications of your actions.

Author:   KR_1250
Date:   Aug 31, 12 at 3:47am (PST)
I dont buy pirated stuff myself, but i dont judge those who do.

The prices for new games, CD's and movies are extortionate and the quality rarely matches that. I work full time but for younger people and those with employment troubles i can imagine that cost becomes debillatating.

I suppose if someone steals every single song and game they have then thats just a bit scadgy. Sorry, Scottish word LOL. Its a bit jakey, a bit pathetic.

I used to use Napster to listen to download and try out a bunch of music. If i found a few songs i liked from a band i'd rush out and buy the CD. I'd never have bothered purchasing the CD had i not heard the music illegally. So, does pirating cost the industry money ? Yes and no.

So make of that what you will.

Author:   babayboy
Date:   Aug 31, 12 at 3:52am (PST)
quote walnuts
No matter what way you slice and dice it, you're stealing. You can try and justify it all you want, and some people will even be sympathetic and agree with you. However, you are partaking in goods and services in which you did not pay for, which is the very definition of stealing.

So yeah, no point in justifying it in my honest opinion, because there is no justification for it. Just do it because you can, and settle with yourself the ethical and moral implications of your actions.
Well video games are over priced anyway, just for a start, Not that i don't mind paying good money for good content......... Its all about the contect, to many games are shit that are made out to be good, and you cant really tell how a game will be without playing it.

I think if video games really want to make money, you should pay for how much you play........... sooo if you 100% completethe game it charges you the full £50...... but if you play 10% of the game, you only have to pay 10% of the price! I mean its only fair really!

I pay for the games i finish....

quote KR_1250
I dont buy pirated stuff myself, but i dont judge those who do.

The prices for new games, CD's and movies are extortionate and the quality rarely matches that. I work full time but for younger people and those with employment troubles i can imagine that cost becomes debillatating.

I suppose if someone steals every single song and game they have then thats just a bit scadgy. Sorry, Scottish word LOL. Its a bit jakey, a bit pathetic.

I used to use Napster to listen to download and try out a bunch of music. If i found a few songs i liked from a band i'd rush out and buy the CD. I'd never have bothered purchasing the CD had i not heard the music illegally. So, does pirating cost the industry money ? Yes and no.

So make of that what you will.
I agree with you there.

I feel Its wrong when you are just taking and taking and taking without looking back... If you like something then pay for it....

You can never be too sure these days.... so much money for things that are so falsely advertised!

Fable 3 for instance! I went and bought that game the day it came out for xbox 360.... I could not make my mind up if i liked it or not...... I finished it in less then 6 hours and i felt so ripped off!!! So i went back the gane store with my receipt and said i was not happy with what i bought! and i got a full refund!
I don't think there is anything wrong with that to be honest.

So i don't think its unfair or wrong to test the game before buying it.....

This message was merged with other messages by Stitch (moderator)

Author:   hiigaran
Date:   Aug 31, 12 at 4:01am (PST)
movies, games, music...i pirate anything.

i can justify pirating movies because i have free access to the rentals at the petrol station that my uncle owns. doesnt matter what i do, i dont pay for it. downloading it is just more convenient, even if the quality is lower.

games will be pirated like crazy because im always looking for my next form of entertainment. no regrets, because most games i have played are definitely not worth their prices. IF (and thats a very big if) i do find a game that blows me away, and keeps me playing for countless hours over and over again with its replayability and amazing quality, then i may consider buying the same. as a result, throughout my entire life, i have only purchased four games. ironically, i would have bought TF2 if it wasnt free already, but i am not going to waste money on stupid hats, and items that record your kills.

as for music...well i listen to it on youtube already, and im not paying for it. whats the difference between listening to it via youtube, and downloading it?

thats my justification. i know its wrong, and therefore it can never be truly justified, but there you have it. besides, i cant afford to spend money unnecessarily, so money never would have left my wallet anyway.

Author:   Foquinha
Date:   Aug 31, 12 at 5:03am (PST)
I don't illegally download films or games, I'd rather pay, but for some obscure albums, sometimes you don't really have any other option

Author:   Demonfurby
Date:   Aug 31, 12 at 5:15am (PST)
I have no problem with pirates, hell I'm a part-time one myself. But if it's music I download and like it, I'll support the artist in any way I can, through, if the artist gets a majority of the money from it, buying the album itself, merchandise, or tickets to a show.

Don't do it for movies or tv, because I mostly rent those.

I only do it for games that I've either purchased before, so I feel absolutely no remorse for that, or really old games that you can't get anywhere except used copies for exorbitant prices, but it's not like the dev is getting anything out of that anyway. But if I had the computer to emulate anything I wanted I totally would and wouldn't feel anything for it. I've been *bleep*ed way too many times before paying full price for shitty games. If I did pirate everything, I'd try to support the developer of a game that I really liked. Most devs are under the control of awful publishers that I want nothing to do with.

Author:   Paradox
Date:   Aug 31, 12 at 5:20am (PST)
I pirate movies, games, and music when I feel like it. I know it's wrong but I do it anyways.

Author:   Celes Leonhart
Date:   Aug 31, 12 at 5:52am (PST)
Yeah I don't pirate. I don't care about other people doing it but Walnuts has it on the head that people really can't justify it in any way. People act like it should be their right to steal whatever they want, there's no argument for it.

Author:   thewatermeloncult
Date:   Aug 31, 12 at 6:02am (PST)
Piracy is wrong but I still do it. The only time I feel bad about pirating is when it's some indie band that probably don't make much money with their music. I would prefer pirating Jimi Hendrix's music because it would all just go to his greedy family anyways.

Author:   Cobalt
Date:   Aug 31, 12 at 7:44am (PST)
Spend like $2 at a red box and if you don't like it, return it the next day. If so, still return it abd go buy it.

Author:   Aurora
Date:   Aug 31, 12 at 7:59am (PST)
quote walnuts
It's not exactly the same as stealing; stealing involves actually taking an item, rendering its owner unable to use it. When you steal an apple from a shop, they have one less apple to sell — when you illegally download something, it leaves the vendor no better nor worse off unless you would've bought it otherwise. "Piracy" is unauthorized copying.

As for the moral implications, well, I think that depends on what exactly you're pirating. As I understand it, with most music sales, artists get only a minuscule percentage of the proceeds — the majority of it goes to multi-billion dollar record companies. That doesn't make it right, but I can't blame people for not feeling bad about depriving mega-corporations of a few extra quid.

Author:   Yorkieboy
Date:   Aug 31, 12 at 9:03am (PST)
Does using spotify count?

Author:   harbin
Date:   Aug 31, 12 at 10:24am (PST)
I prefer to buy when possible but at times things are expensive. Hence the reason I've pirated CS6... £1600 for that is an absolute joke, but if I used it as part of a job, then I'd pay for it.

I do use Spotify for most music though, and only pirate the albums I like the most, which I figured that since record companies will get a cut of my subscription, over the course of a year, I'll have paid for an album.

Author:   SwiftBlade
Date:   Aug 31, 12 at 11:32am (PST)
quote Yorkieboy
Does using spotify count?
No, Spotify sticks ads in every three songs or something, that's how they make money.

As for piracy, it isn't theft. It doesn't deprive someone of their copy, of something. That doesn't make it right, I know, but you are only making an unlawful copy. Some people download stuff they'd never have bought anyway, so it isn't even depriving the makers of anything. Some say that it could actually be beneficial sometimes, people download stuff they wouldn't buy, like it, and then buy some more stuff like tickets.

Just providing counter arguments. However, one thing I don't like is devs blaming piracy for their product not doing well. It might just be shitty.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.