Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Loungin' Helpdesk [36] - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/18/t1727425-loungin-helpdesk-36/

Author:   Stitch
Date:   Apr 07, 12 at 7:45am (PST)
Subject:   Loungin' Helpdesk [36]
-------------------------------------------
**post removed**

NOTICE 1 | NOTICE 2

Author:   Chrono
Date:   Apr 07, 12 at 4:45pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Loungin' Helpdesk [36]
Hi all, so I have a question for anyone that can answer it.

I've got an iPod Classic 160 GB. It's never really had any problems until recently it died (as any device does when the battery is drained).

Unfortunately, when I plugged it into my computer just now to charge it, nothing happened except a red X appeared in the middle of my screen.

Anyone with any advice on this as to how to fix it?

edit: Notify me, thanks.

Author:   Xelrog T Apocalypse
Date:   Apr 07, 12 at 7:18pm (PST)
Since you're here, Chrono, I'm assuming the red "X" means it also isn't charging? Or is it charging, but whenever you turn it on, the red "X" remains? What specifically is the problem? Some general suggestions might be to try updating the device software or formatting the iPod and re-syncing everything over again. Or maybe I'm just talking out of my ass, it's never actually happened to mine, so I'm just throwing ideas out there.

On an unrelated note, I'll ask this because I'm not sure where else to go to ask this: I have a file I'd like to download that is ONLY available from a site that can't be downloaded from in the U.S. Says it's not available in this country. I've scoured Google and nobody else anywhere has uploaded it to any other site, everything directs back to that same download link. Where might be a good place for me to go and ask someone who can download this file to re-upload it to a different file service for me? Is this a common problem? Maybe there's a support group or something?

Author:   hiigaran
Date:   Apr 08, 12 at 3:31am (PST)
look for proxy sites. there are a ton of them on google. most of them are american. what they do is they route your browsing through them, so it looks like you are in the country that the proxy site is in. however, because your data is being rerouted that way, its much slower.

Date:   Apr 08, 12 at 6:34am (PST)
It's the red X that has the "visit iPod support" underneath it. I went to Apple's support site, and tried doing what they recommended but I can't change it to "disk mode" without there being the "main screen", right?

Author:   Liverpool_96
Date:   Apr 08, 12 at 4:14pm (PST)
What type of file is it? would it be as simple as sending me the link so I could re-upload it on a site like FileFront? Xelrog T Apocalypse

Author:   ThornSnyder
Date:   Apr 08, 12 at 10:05pm (PST)
I recently got told how to link to a NeoPM that already has the contact filled in(Thanks Luce), but I was wondering how I could fill in the subject and a small part of the message in said link. Can anyone help?

I've seen in done before on Neo votes/drawings/raffles/whatever they were.

Any help would be appreciated.

Date:   Apr 09, 12 at 3:59am (PST)
when in doubt, i just copy the link to one of those PMs from the relevant thread, and take a look at how they did it. here is the voting PM from the neo awards:

http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/index.php?fn=send_pm_thread&title=Votes&mailbox=received&manual_username=Neo+Award&message=Favorite%20Male:%20%0A%0AFavorite%20Female:%20%0A%0AMost%20Creative:%20%0A%0AMost%20Helpful:%20%0A%0AMost%20Intelligent:%20%0A%0ANicest%20Seeker:%20%0A%0AFunniest%20Seeker:%20%0A%0AMost%20Inspiring:%20%0A%0AMost%20Insane:%20%0A%0AOverall%20Best%20Seeker:%20%0A%0AFavorite%20Contributor:%20%0A%0AFavorite%20Moderator:%20%0A%0AFavorite%20CRS%20Staff%20Member:%20%0A%0AFavorite%20NeoWiki%20Staff%20Member:%0A%0AFavorite%20Oldie%20%28Joined%20Before%20Jan%201,%202005%29:%20%0A%0AFavorite%20Newcomer%20%28Joined%20After%20April%201,%202011%29:%20%0A%0AMost%20Artistic:%20%0A%0AFavorite%20Avatar:%20%0A%0AFavorite%20Signature:%20%0A%0AFavorite%20Forum%20Header:%20%0A%0AFavorite%20Forum%20Footer:%20%0A%0AFavorite%20Custom%20Title:%20%0A%0AFavorite%20Thread:%20%0A%0AFavorite%20Quote%20%28from%20a%20Neomember%29:%20%0A%0AFavorite%20Event:%20%0A%0AFavorite%20Forum:%20%0A%0AFavorite%20Wiki:%20%0A%0AMost%20Memorable%20Moment:%20%0A%0AFavorite%20NeoHome:%20%0A%0AFavorite%20Overall%20Blog:%20%0A%0AFavorite%20Blog%20Skin:%20%0A%0AFavorite%20Blog%20Post:%20%0A%0AFavorite%20Overall%20Gallery:%20%0A%0AFavorite%20Gallery%20Image:

cleaning that up a bit to make things a little easier:

http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/index.php?fn=send_pm_thread&title=Votes&mailbox=received&manual_username=Neo+Award&message=Favorite%20Male:%20%0A%0AFavorite%20Female:

so to add a subject, add anywhere to the link

&title=YOURTITLEHERE

and to have a message:

&message=YOURMESSAGEHERE

and finally, judging by the characters in the link, %20 is a space, and %0A is a line down

EDIT: i have a random question of my own, for those good with electronics...im researching solar systems, and the viability of living completely off-grid, so first off:

- 4000 watt solar array outputting at 12 volts
- bank of batteries at 12 volts DC
- battery bank connected to a 240 volt inverter
- maximum household power usage at any given time: 4000 watts

what would the combined battery bank capacity have to be, to sustain a house for a day?

Author:   ThornSnyder
Date:   Apr 09, 12 at 5:27am (PST)
Thanks hiigaran. Never thought about viewing the link

Date:   Apr 09, 12 at 5:49am (PST)
no worries mate

Author:   Smell The Chiken
Date:   Apr 09, 12 at 9:41am (PST)
How can I make my sig rotate between a few pictures? I remember people asking about this a while back, but I can't remember how to do it.

Author:   TheButcher99999
Date:   Apr 09, 12 at 9:47am (PST)
quote hiigaran
EDIT: i have a random question of my own, for those good with electronics...im researching solar systems, and the viability of living completely off-grid, so first off:

- 4000 watt solar array outputting at 12 volts
- bank of batteries at 12 volts DC
- battery bank connected to a 240 volt inverter
- maximum household power usage at any given time: 4000 watts

what would the combined battery bank capacity have to be, to sustain a house for a day?
I should know this, but would you need to use the following formula:

Q = t*I^K

So you need to figure out the current first? or is it a lot more complicated than that?

Date:   Apr 09, 12 at 10:22am (PST)
quote Smell The Chiken
How can I make my sig rotate between a few pictures? I remember people asking about this a while back, but I can't remember how to do it.
you need to upload a bunch of images via an i mage randomiser site.

butcher - its really more of a curiosity thing, but ill look at that formula

Author:   original
Date:   Apr 11, 12 at 10:05am (PST)
Chrono, you change it to disk mode in iTunes. Have you tried that?

Date:   Apr 12, 12 at 4:43am (PST)
quote original
Chrono, you change it to disk mode in iTunes. Have you tried that?
I've been told to try that but thing is it doesn't show up on my computer when I plug it in (at least not in iTunes, it may show up as "hardware" in that bottom right corner)

I'll try again tonight. :/ Probably gonna' have to go to Best Buy and have those Geek Squad guys look at it.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.