Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: What are some good cheap towers for just internet browsing? - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/17/t1847057-some-good-cheap-towers-for-just-internet-browsing/

Author:   DedValve
Date:   Mar 29, 13 at 7:56am (PST)
Subject:   What are some good cheap towers for just internet browsing?
-------------------------------------------

Family computer died and I'm currently looking for a replacement for a tower. The budget is $300 and all my parents ever use it for is netflix and paying their bills online. So something that's fast enough to run a few programs and fast internet speed that could fit under the budget would be great.

Win8 preferred but not a necessity. Also something with a fast bootup would be great. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I know *bleep*all about building a new computer but if it's relatively easy that would be a cool little project I can do (with specific, specific, specific instructions in case I screw up).

Author:   hiigaran
Date:   Mar 29, 13 at 8:02am (PST)
Subject:   re: What are some good cheap towers for just internet browsing?
i dont suppose you know how the computer died? would be cheaper to just replace the dead component. likely the power supply, which would cost you about 30 bucks, maybe less.

Author:   DedValve
Date:   Mar 29, 13 at 8:49am (PST)
quote hiigaran
i dont suppose you know how the computer died? would be cheaper to just replace the dead component. likely the power supply, which would cost you about 30 bucks, maybe less.
The fan is extremely loud, the computer will sometimes randomly reset and it's very, very slow.

Author:   Mikau Kahn
Date:   Mar 29, 13 at 12:13pm (PST)
If this is the case, do what I did and get yourself a Netbook.

Although I got it for myself, it ended up being the family PC due to it's portability. I find it everywhere in our house, which means it gets used a lot.

I grabbed it for $200 and it's powerful enough to play Left4Dead2 online (granted on low quality), so...

EDIT: Totally didn't even notice you asked for a tower. I'd say find someone who broke a part on theirs (fried their video card or something), grab their tower for cheap, then fix it.

Author:   hiigaran
Date:   Mar 29, 13 at 2:56pm (PST)
quote DedValve
quote hiigaran
The fan is extremely loud, the computer will sometimes randomly reset and it's very, very slow.
loud fan and random resets are most likely due to excessive temperature. has the computer ever been opened and cleaned out for dust?

as for it being slow...for starters, do you know how to take screenshots and post them here?

also, am i to assume then that the computer isnt actually dead?

Author:   Sonic Chao
Date:   Mar 30, 13 at 11:22pm (PST)
How does this look? Should be more than enough for Internet browsing and Netflix.

Author:   thezobot1
Date:   Mar 31, 13 at 7:34pm (PST)
Do you want exact components or just guidelines? Is the cost of the operating system included within the 300$?
I will be glad to help you out!

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.