Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Best Gaming PC for Cheap - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/17/t1833665-best-gaming-pc-for-cheap/

Author:   Justplayingitcool
Date:   Feb 22, 13 at 1:15am (PST)
Subject:   Best Gaming PC for Cheap
-------------------------------------------
With the announcement of the next PlayStation 4 and highly likely the next Xbox, I thought that this would be a very good opportunity to ditch my Xbox 360 and go onto a gaming PC. However, there is a slight problem, firstly, I'm not exactly rolling in the cash like Scrooge McDuck is. I currently have a measly £125, which I know is not good enough to even buy a really bad computer. But I thought that I should do some research while I'm saving the money. I've done some calculations and I reckon that I'll have £250 by the start of May. And who doesn't like a good bargain?

The second problem that I face is that I don't have the right know how of what Processor is better for its price, or any kind of hardware components. Yeah, I know what each part does but I don't know what the best one is and what makes a good one. I'm more of a software kind of guy so some help is needed.

Thanks.

Author:   CMNealTan
Date:   Feb 22, 13 at 4:00am (PST)
Subject:   re: Best Gaming PC for Cheap
Hi justplayingitcool!

Click on the signature in my link. Logical Increments is a site that shows suggestions on computer builds depending on what budget you have.

Date:   Feb 22, 13 at 5:48am (PST)
CMNealTan Thank you for the reply, and the link as well!

Sounds like pre-builts are a waste of money if you want it for gaming, I'm too scared to build it myself so would it be worth customising my own pc on a website and buying it already made for me?

Date:   Feb 22, 13 at 5:53am (PST)
Customized pre-builts are another option, if you're really that "scared." Just be aware, though, that they charge an extra 15-20% on top of what the parts might actually cost if you did them yourself.

But if you're not that in too much of a hurry to get a rig, you can always learn about the zen of building your own pc. Here's a video of an expert showing the steps in assembling your own pc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFkykETgkoo

Date:   Feb 22, 13 at 6:01am (PST)
Knowing my luck I'll get the part and break it when I first touch it. I don't mind building it myself if it is more practical and cheaper, I can always use the internet or the help from my family and friends.

Author:   Crusad3r
Date:   Feb 22, 13 at 6:10am (PST)
Building a PC yourself isn't too difficult. It's like putting together a model aeroplane if you're old enough to have experienced that. The only tools you need are a brain, a screwdriver and the motherboard manual.

I'll be honest and say 250 pounds won't be enough for a gaming PC either. 250 pounds could get you at best, a PC that can browse facebook and play Runescape (just barely). Microsoft Windows 7 or 8 costs around 60 pounds alone and a monitor costs around 100-150. We haven't even gotten started on the computer itself yet and your budget has basically run out.

Normally when people say "build a gaming PC for cheap", they tend to leave out very expensive peripherals and software that make up a computer to make PCs look cheap. I would recommend at the very minimum a 500 pound budget for a decent gaming PC. Even that will have to be scrapped within 3 years since it will just age way too quickly. A good future proof gaming PC that will last you 5-7 years will easily cost 1.5 grand.

Date:   Feb 22, 13 at 8:33am (PST)
Crusad3r I understand that £250 is not going to help, but its a start. Anyway, I've done some more research and I am prepared to build my own PC looking how easy it was from watching a bit of the video that CMNealTan provided. It was basically a 3D Puzzle.

Using this Article here I looked at the prices on Amazon: http://www.squidoo.com/build-your-own-gaming-pc-2012-2013

Gigabyte Ultra Durable 3 GA-990FXA-UD5 Desktop Motherboard - AMD 990FX = £64.95

AMD Phenom II X4 965 = £71.97

Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB = £88.98

Cooler Master Elite 430 - Mid Tower Computer Case with All-Black Interior (RC-430-KWN1) = £39.04

Kingston ValueRAM 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 DIMM Desktop Memory = £11.00

Western Digital 1TB internal Hard Drive - Caviar Blue (3.5 inch) = £59.90

Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 500w Power Supply (RS500-PCARD3-US) = £63.70

Lite-On LightScribe 24X SATA DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive IHAS424-98 - Retail (Black) = £16.99

ViewSonic VA2431WM 24-Inch Widescreen LCD Monitor with Speakers = £136.55

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Upgrade Edition (PC DVD) = £49.99

Total = 603.07

What do you think, Do you think I can get some stuff cheaper and or should I improve a certain component? Also, if its compatible how do you think it will handle game wise?

Author:   Shiny Mew
Date:   Feb 22, 13 at 9:07am (PST)
justplayingitcool
You need to check some of those prices, I checked both the case and RAM you chose, and the RAM was £11 plus £12 shipping, with the case being £39.04 with about £6 shipping.
You said 500W psu but linked to a 650W psu? You should only need 500W really, that should leave room for upgrades.
Here's a good one: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/500w-corsair-cxm-builder-series-hybrid-modular-85-eff-80-plus-bronze-sli-crossfire-eps-12v-fan-atx
Not only is it 80+ Bronze but it's also hybrid modular and £14 cheaper than the on you linked.

The price on that Windows CD also seems way too good to be true...

Date:   Feb 22, 13 at 9:15am (PST)
I guess I wasn't really checking the shipping, my fault.

What do you think of the computer, regardless if I used your suggestion with the PSU?

Shiny Mew

Author:   Shiny Mew
Date:   Feb 22, 13 at 9:25am (PST)
justplayingitcool

I have the same processor, it performs just great, you shouldn't need anything better. It's probably one of the best processors at that price point. Although, the used one you were gonna buy also has like £5 shipping LOL. So yeah, go for the new one instead, will end up like £3 cheaper and new.
The HD6850 performs a bit better than the HD7770, which I used to have. So you should be able to play on high for most games, or even ultra in some cases. (Like Skyrim)
1TB HDD is great, will hold a lot of data.
4GB ram is great, 8GB is like the sweet spot.
If you wanted to save a bit more money you could probably get a cheaper motherboard, which would just mean you might not have as many RAM or PCIE slots, and may not have SATA 3 ports (Which are faster).

Date:   Feb 22, 13 at 9:28am (PST)
Shiny Mew

Thanks a lot for the help.

Author:   ChiroVette
Date:   Feb 22, 13 at 10:38am (PST)
quote CMNealTan
Hi justplayingitcool!

Click on the signature in my link. Logical Increments is a site that shows suggestions on computer builds depending on what budget you have.
Let me tell you, that's a great link. I can build a really nice system (i7 and 670), based on those specs, for $1,500 + monitor, keyboard, and mouse. So I could probably build a smoking system for around $2K counting everything.

Date:   Feb 23, 13 at 4:29am (PST)
quote ChiroVette
Let me tell you, that's a great link. I can build a really nice system (i7 and 670), based on those specs, for $1,500 + monitor, keyboard, and mouse. So I could probably build a smoking system for around $2K counting everything.
Thanks, ChiroVette!

Yes, that smoking system for around $2k is a certainty! You just have to be aware of the prices going around stores and choosing the right product for your needs. I've heard of prebuilts going for $3k being beaten by $2k rigs that the owners built themselves.

Author:   ChiroVette
Date:   Feb 23, 13 at 4:50am (PST)
quote CMNealTan
I've heard of prebuilts going for $3k being beaten by $2k rigs that the owners built themselves.
That has always been the case since DIY PC builds became popular and widespread in and around the early nineties, maybe even the late eighties. In fact, up until recent years, it used to be even better for do-it-yourselfers. At one point, the ratio was about 1:2, meaning you could build a PC, if you knew where to buy your components, for about half of the retail price of a pre-build. However, back then, there was no Tiger Direct or Zip Zoom Fly. Well, these companies may have been in business, but the consumer didn't have an Internet that was anywhere near as universal as it is today. So you didn't have hundreds of thousands of small Internet PC retailers and dozens of larger PC manufacturers all competing with one another. Suffice it to say, the days of building a PC for half of what the store bought build costs seem to be over. But again this could easily be because, proportionally speaking, and factoring in for relative inflation, pre-built PC's are actually cheaper than ever. Or it could be that the people making individual components for retail sale to DIY consumers have raised the prices. Hell, maybe its a little of both. lol

Author:   harhis23
Date:   Feb 25, 13 at 11:31am (PST)
Your budget is not even enough for a less powerful gaming rig. What you can build is a standard desktop computer for office works and light gaming. But if you want to go with it, well, you'd rather buy stock desktops.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.