Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: How to check if video card is compatible with setup - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/17/t1828196-how-to-check-if-video-card-compatible-with-setup/

Author:   Pedigree
Date:   Feb 08, 13 at 7:29am (PST)
Subject:   How to check if video card is compatible with setup
-------------------------------------------
I got an old desktop lying here with a busted video card. It's on its onboard graphics card and it's pretty crap since the setup is hooked onto a 1440x900 monitor. The resolution's pretty crap.

So, I thought of buying a new budget video card that I could put on the old computer but I'm worried if I bought an incompatible card.

tl;dr How do I check if a prospect card is compatible?

On a side note - is there anyway to check if a card is really busted?

I got these two old cards that the desktop used to use. One works intermittently. Sometimes, it shows a display but after a while it shuts off. I don't know why but the fan seem to be running slower than it should be. So I'm thinking it shuts off because of a thermal problem.

The other card, I'm thinking is really dead. It doesn't show anything at all and when I touch the card it's hot as hell.

tl;dr 2 - Thoughts on these two cards?

Author:   Nagare
Date:   Feb 08, 13 at 8:48am (PST)
Subject:   re: How to check if video card is compatible with setup
The easiest way to check the compatibility would be to determine what what kind of motherboard you have. Download CPU-Z and click on the "Mainboard" tab which should tell you the manufacturer and model. Depending on the kind of PCI slots it has, some graphics cards will or won't be compatible, once you find out the motherboard (mainboard), we could help you out some more.

As for the other two you have, one probably overheated a while back because of fan issues, you can force the fan to run at a certain speed using overclocking software, but that could depend on your cards too so what are thos two?

Author:   Pedigree
Date:   Feb 08, 13 at 8:07pm (PST)

There's that.

I can't remember the models of the cards. There aren't any labels either. Maybe if I find their boxes I'll post 'em here.

In the meantime..

Will this cheap card be compatible? (http://www.cdrking.com/index.php?mod=products&type=view&sid=491&main=91)

Author:   Nagare
Date:   Feb 08, 13 at 8:20pm (PST)
Here is what I found for the board. Says it has 5 PCI slots, so I'm guessing it would work fine but I'm not really sure, sorry.

Author:   CMNealTan
Date:   Feb 11, 13 at 8:24am (PST)
Hi Pedigree!

The Encore GeForce 7300GT needs a PCIex16 bus which that motherboard does not have.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.