Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Compaq Presario S5000NX Ram Compatibility - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/17/t1817641-compaq-presario-s5000nx-ram-compatibility/

Author:   plushy1anthony_9_9
Date:   Jan 13, 13 at 2:12pm (PST)
Subject:   Compaq Presario S5000NX Ram Compatibility
-------------------------------------------
I'm wondering what's the max size of ram that can go on this computer's default motherboard? I've read from the computer's manufacturer website that it can only support two 512 mb sticks, but I don't really understand why when there exists 1 gb ddr sticks. I've read that high density 1gb ddr sticks are incompatible with nearly all motherboards, which is why I should buy a low density 1gb stick. I'm wondering if the 1gb low density ddr sdram will work in this computer?

Author:   The Slayer
Date:   Jan 13, 13 at 7:02pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Compaq Presario S5000NX Ram Compatibility
I'm not even sure it would be worth it to upgrade the ram in a 10 year old computer...

But from googleing, it looks like the max the motherboard will support is 1gb total, or two 512mb sticks. You could just get one 512mb stick and add it and keep the 128mb stick and have 640mb total.

Some motherboards can support a lot of ram (some modern ones can support 64gb or even 128gb and up for servers). Even most DDR based motherboards can hold 1gb sticks, not sure why yours doesnt. My guess would be its age or it was somehow cheaper for them to do it that way.

Why are you wanting to upgrade the ram?

The ram listed on this page should all work in that computer.

Author:   plushy1anthony_9_9
Date:   Jan 17, 13 at 4:25pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Compaq Presario S5000NX Ram Compatibility
quote The Slayer
I'm not even sure it would be worth it to upgrade the ram in a 10 year old computer...

But from googleing, it looks like the max the motherboard will support is 1gb total, or two 512mb sticks. You could just get one 512mb stick and add it and keep the 128mb stick and have 640mb total.

Some motherboards can support a lot of ram (some modern ones can support 64gb or even 128gb and up for servers). Even most DDR based motherboards can hold 1gb sticks, not sure why yours doesnt. My guess would be its age or it was somehow cheaper for them to do it that way.

Why are you wanting to upgrade the ram?

The ram listed on this page should all work in that computer.
Thanks, though that's what I had found through googling for this specific computer. I'm only getting ram right now for it as it doesn't have any ram at all since the stick that was in it before no longer works.

Hopefully, though, someone here with some more retro knowledge of computers could explain to me why this computer is supposedly unable to take 1 gb sticks when I've been reading around that low density 1 gb ddr ram works for nearly every motherboard.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.