Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Help! My motherboard sparked/set fire! - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/17/t1815111-help-my-motherboard-sparked-set-fire/


Author:   Coconut
Date:   Jan 07, 13 at 3:06pm (PST)
Subject:   Help! My motherboard sparked/set fire!
-------------------------------------------
Okay so I was testing my parts before I put them in the case and I've followed the instructions and tutorials to make sure I was doing it right and then bam. A spark then a tiny fire for a few seconds before it went out after I turned the power supply off. I have no idea why it did this as I'm pretty sure everything is compatible. I have photos I'll upload of the area that sparked. Will my motherboard or anything else be damaged or will it be okay? I'm hoping it will work again after getting advice as I don't want to have to buy a new one
Here are some photos of the motherboard and the area which (I think) caught fire/sparked.
I'm currently totally stressing out as this is a lot of money I've spent and I was so sure I did everything correctly but I'm doubting my self any help and advice is grately appreciated!



Author:   Randome
Date:   Jan 08, 13 at 1:27am (PST)
Subject:   re: Help! My motherboard sparked/set fire!
-------------------------------------------
I'm pretty sure that almost, if not everything other than the motherboard are fine. I am also pretty sure that that motherboard is now gone.

I'm not qualified to say why exactly it happened, but you should carefully read the motherboard warranty. Maybe it's still covered? But maybe the warranty is off, because you incorrectly assembled it outside of the case at your own risk.

You see this is what happens if you think you can assemble expensive things in any way other than what the manual says. It's not impossible to make a PC work outside of the case, but for an inexperienced person to do so "just to see if the components work" is a very stupid idea. No offence to you intended, as you were following bad advice.



Author:   Crusad3r
Date:   Jan 08, 13 at 6:17am (PST)
Subject:   re: Help! My motherboard sparked/set fire!
-------------------------------------------
Looks like you overloaded your motherboard.

Graphics card generally goes last when putting parts in. Even after you've installed windows. Also looks like your graphics card wasn't connected to your power supply from the photo.

Other possible reason is that your CPU wasn't properly placed in, causing a short.



Author:   Coconut
Date:   Jan 08, 13 at 7:07am (PST)
Subject:   re: Help! My motherboard sparked/set fire!
-------------------------------------------
It's okay for criticism as it probably was my fault anyways But thanks for the replies Randome and Crusad3r! As long as everything else should be okay then I don't mind spending another £60-70 on a new motherboard. And also Crusad3r, I know I'm probably missing the obvious but I couldn't see anywhere to plug in the power to the graphics card. I literally sat there for ages with my dad trying to figure out where to plug the power into. Although it did work for a split second without a power plugged into the card as the fans worked then.

I know the motherboard will most definitely be bust but is it worth trying it again or not?




Author:   Luis_GT
Date:   Jan 08, 13 at 7:30am (PST)
Subject:   re: Help! My motherboard sparked/set fire!
-------------------------------------------
RMA it, if you are within 30 day of buying it you can have the retailer exchange it, if not, just send it to the manufacturer, will take about a week or 2, in my experience with Gigabyte RMA, but you will only have to waste money on postage, and that motherboard has 3 years warranty.

The 630 doesn't need external power, it doesn't consume enough watts to need one...



Author:   Crusad3r
Date:   Jan 08, 13 at 7:32am (PST)
Subject:   re: Help! My motherboard sparked/set fire!
-------------------------------------------
The mobo's dead, no doubt. Just pray that your CPU isn't as well.

Luis_GT it consumes 350w according to the specification sheet, which is more than the mobo can handle iirc



Author:   Luis_GT
Date:   Jan 08, 13 at 7:38am (PST)
Subject:   re: Help! My motherboard sparked/set fire!
-------------------------------------------
quote Crusad3r
The mobo's dead, no doubt. Just pray that your CPU isn't as well.

Luis_GT it consumes 350w according to the specification sheet, which is more than the mobo can handle iirc

The GT 630 draws a maximum power of 50 watts... the only 600 series to draw that much power, and this is basing it on my 470 is the 690 which is a dual GPU setup.



Author:   Benedict
Date:   Jan 08, 13 at 9:04am (PST)
Subject:   re: Help! My motherboard sparked/set fire!
-------------------------------------------
It's a capacitor, you might be fine.



Author:   Coconut
Date:   Jan 08, 13 at 10:46am (PST)
Subject:   re: Help! My motherboard sparked/set fire!
-------------------------------------------
Luis_GT I literally only bought it last week and it got delivered yesterday so I might ask to exchange it.

I thought it didn't need one as there was no obvious socket anywhere for a power cable to be plugged in, and the fan on the graphics card did show a sign of life before I turned the power off, so it mustn't need external powering.

Benedict Do you think there will be a chance it'll be okay? Do you think it is worth me assembling it all in the case to see if it works? Then if not just dessemble it and exchange it via the retailer.

Thanks for replying everyone! I've been stressing about this ever since it happened and I want to get as many opinions as possible before I do anything!




Author:   Randome
Date:   Jan 08, 13 at 10:59am (PST)
Subject:   re: Help! My motherboard sparked/set fire!
-------------------------------------------
Whatever that component is, I'm sure it's not useless. If it's possible to get them to replace the motherboard, I'd do that. I wouldn't want to risk the CPU.



Author:   Luis_GT
Date:   Jan 08, 13 at 11:16am (PST)
Subject:   re: Help! My motherboard sparked/set fire!
-------------------------------------------
Don't reassemble it, just get it exchanged, that's a PWM module, basically what controlls the flow of power to the CPU and other chipsets, once that goes, the motherboard is toast.

And like I said, the GPU doesn't need external power, it gets enough power from the PCI-e socket.



Author:   Benedict
Date:   Jan 09, 13 at 7:18am (PST)
Subject:   re: Help! My motherboard sparked/set fire!
-------------------------------------------
quote Randome
Whatever that component is, I'm sure it's not useless. If it's possible to get them to replace the motherboard, I'd do that. I wouldn't want to risk the CPU.
It's a capacitor and there is several of them, looking at it's position it's for managing voltage of a key component. So on second thoughts, RMA it.


Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.