Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Thinking of Purchasing new parts for my desktop PC - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/17/t1813829-thinking-of-purchasing-new-parts-for-my-desktop-pc/

Author:   Duncan Idaho
Date:   Jan 04, 13 at 8:54pm (PST)
Subject:   Thinking of Purchasing new parts for my desktop PC
-------------------------------------------

i cant quite remember the name of the videocard but it's an intel chipset and my soundcard is realtek., the ram is DDR3, it's mostly for running games or a certain emulator (PCSX2), i want to run some stuff like darksiders, fallout new vegas (i can run this one actually only that it can get veeeeeeeeery laggy then be fine) and recent stuff like dishonored.

Prices for RAM, Videocard, Motherboard and cores please try to avoid suggestions that start ranging on the thousands.use google translate if you dont understand spanish

EDIT the intel card is named Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family)

Author:   Crusad3r
Date:   Jan 04, 13 at 9:19pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Thinking of Purchasing new parts for my desktop PC
The way I see it, you're better off taking all the stuff out and replacing it with new parts. Your CPU is a bit too aged to play any new games, so I'm guessing your motherboard is a bit old too. It'll only cost you about $200 extra and it'll last you for a lot longer.

Date:   Jan 04, 13 at 9:27pm (PST)
quote Crusad3r
The way I see it, you're better off taking all the stuff out and replacing it with new parts. Your CPU is a bit too aged to play any new games, so I'm guessing your motherboard is a bit old too. It'll only cost you about $200 extra and it'll last you for a lot longer.
I was told my CPU was fine, i bought this thing last year, i cant believe CPU's get outdated that fast, as did you check the links i left? if the government issue for the online purchases more than 200$ i would consider purchasing the stuff from amazon.

tomorrow i will post the CPU-Z/DiagX stuff for extra details, current objective is try to make it to quad core (if possible) and put a better graphics and add 4 GB of ram, i am mostly looking to play on medium settings.

Date:   Jan 04, 13 at 9:31pm (PST)
Your CPU was discontinued in November 2011. It was never a great CPU to start with too. A dual core i3 CPU would far outperform that E5800

Date:   Jan 04, 13 at 9:36pm (PST)
quote Crusad3r
Your CPU was discontinued in November 2011. It was never a great CPU to start with too. A dual core i3 CPU would far outperform that E5800
*sigh* this is going to be such a pain in the @$$ given what some of the local sellers want to charge for the cores, what you recomend i replace (as in part A for part B) and i am working on getting more details of CADIVI.

Date:   Jan 04, 13 at 10:27pm (PST)
Something like this for motherboard - http://www.amazon.com/ASRock-DDR3-1333-Intel-Motherboards/dp/B007OCJWTM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357367176&sr=8-1&keywords=h77+motherboard
Something like this for the CPU - http://www.amazon.com/Intel-i3-2120-Dual-Core-Processor-Cache/dp/B004KZDV8E/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1357367202&sr=1-1&keywords=i3

Date:   Jan 04, 13 at 10:29pm (PST)
quote Crusad3r
graphics card?

Date:   Jan 04, 13 at 10:32pm (PST)
What kind of card are you after?

Date:   Jan 04, 13 at 10:37pm (PST)
quote Crusad3r
What kind of card are you after?
Well Something that has a dedicated graphics processor that boasts high compatibility and is somewhat cheap, i tend to hear people recomend me NVIDIA or AMD or RADEON cards, idk which is better atm.

Date:   Jan 05, 13 at 5:12am (PST)
AMD and Radeon are one and the same. AMD is cheaper but doesn't support physx. Nvidia supports physx but is slightly more expensive.

Again, which card you're after really depends on your daily usage. I suggest doing your own research here and see what kind of card you're after. Search for the GT 600 series or AMD 7000 series.

Author:   ComputerEd
Date:   Jan 05, 13 at 5:47am (PST)
Basically you need to build a new system from the looks of what you have now.

The suggestion of an I3 is not bad but at that price point AMD offers a some solid solutions. I would look at an FX Quad core with a 970 based motherboard and then put in a solid video card like a GTX 660 or a HD 7850.

This will give you a system that will do a really nice job at gaming at the 1080 resolution and be a nice bump up from what you have.

As for which video card is better, there is no correct answer, either will do a great job. Personally I am leaning into the nVdia camp the last year or so as they have show a stronger dedication to PC gaming and gamers.

Date:   Jan 05, 13 at 8:41pm (PST)
I wound up deciding to build a new PC, it's around 450$ what it will cost me to get the components and such

I will recycle my current mouse and keyboard, since i own an HD TV i could hook the new PC to it, i dont think i missed anything so how good it is my build?

Date:   Jan 05, 13 at 10:33pm (PST)
It's a solid build, but keep in mind you're using the previous generation of hardware. Not saying it's bad, just saying it'll age faster. That's really all I have to say.

Date:   Jan 06, 13 at 8:03am (PST)
quote Crusad3r
It's a solid build, but keep in mind you're using the previous generation of hardware. Not saying it's bad, just saying it'll age faster. That's really all I have to say.
eh wait, i tought all the stuff from amazon was current gen and still viable, anyway i hope the build can run some stuff like assasins creed 3 on medium or high settings or dishonored.

Author:   Luis_GT
Date:   Jan 06, 13 at 9:36am (PST)
The hardware you chose is about a gen or 2 behind, retailers still sell em, but that don't mean they are current gen... and with that GPU, I doubt you'll be able to run AC3 on high...

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.