Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Recommendations/Rate my build! - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/17/t1812661-recommendations-rate-my-build/

Author:   Coconut
Date:   Jan 02, 13 at 3:01pm (PST)
Subject:   Recommendations/Rate my build!
-------------------------------------------
Hi! (:

I have recently decided on all of the components for my PC build I'll hopefully be building this month! I just wanted some advice on any recommendations on any similar products that'd be a better replacements etc. My budget is around £700, which in total this build comes to just over that so I don't want it to get any more expensive! Here is my spec:
  • Case: Cooler Master CM-690 II Advanced USB 3.0 Windowed Dominator Case [here]
  • PSU: Cooler Master GX Lite 700W '80 Plus' Power Supply [here]
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H [here]
  • Processor: Intel Core i5 3330 3.00GHz 6MB [here]
  • RAM: Corsair XMS3 DDR3 8GB 1333MHz [here]
  • Graphics Card: Gigabyte GT 630 2GB NVIDIA Graphics Card [here]
  • SSD: Sandisk 128GB Pulse SSD Slim [here]
  • HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB [here]
  • Optical Drive: Pioneer 15x Duallayer BDRW Black Bare [here]
I will be using this for programs like the latest photoshop with my large photo files (my current laptop can't even open the photos from my 24MP camera!) and some gaming but not excess, as this will be more of a media center PC. Any opinions would be great! I'm just getting paranoid before I order all the parts since it's alot of money xD

I do have a couple of questions though:
1. Will I need a sound card?
2. Will all the hard drives etc. come with the necessary cables or will I need to purchase any?
3. Does anyone recommend a low cost wireless card/or usb adapter?

Author:   Crusad3r
Date:   Jan 02, 13 at 8:33pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Recommendations/Rate my build!
Your build looks pretty solid. If you're making videos and such, the render time with that graphics card might take a while, but nothing too drastic.

1. Nah, there's an integrated one with the mobo
2. It'll come with the motherboard
3. There are USB wifi antennas on ebay for like $10. That's what I use.

Date:   Jan 03, 13 at 12:45am (PST)
Yay that fills me with more confidence Thanks for replying Crusad3r! Do you think it's worth getting a better graphics card or do you think that one will be okay? Paranoia is kicking in again xD

Date:   Jan 03, 13 at 5:27am (PST)
It'll be OK. It's not a bad card as such. Nvidia's cards are far superior to AMD equivalents in terms of heat dissipation and general architecture (and also costs a lot more too ). It's just that it's a lower end card, that's all. No need to go for a higher end one unless you plan on some serious gaming like Battlefield 3 or Borderlands 2 with PhysX on high or something like that.

Date:   Jan 03, 13 at 6:15am (PST)
Thanks again for replying Crusad3r ^^ I don't think I'll be doing gaming as such on the PC, I'll be using my xbox360 for gaming like that. The only game I really am wanting to play on this PC is Minecraft, as the lag is really annoying me on my current crappy laptop xD And occasionally the Sims2 or 3 in good quality but I don't think that'll be a problem some how And if it is, I may have to upgrade the graphics card :\

Also, do you think I'll have any problems using my TV as a monitor via HDMI cable? Just wanted to make sure

Author:   Tonystew42
Date:   Jan 03, 13 at 6:51am (PST)
No, but there's going to be a ton more input lag versus if you were to use a proper monitor. It may or may not annoy you that much, but I'd recommend getting a new monitor when you can.

Date:   Jan 03, 13 at 7:47am (PST)
There won't be any issues with using your TV as a monitor at all. Anti-Aliasing might become useful though.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.