Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: First build help required - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/17/t1795152-first-build-help-required/

Author:   BaddestRuffest
Date:   Nov 20, 12 at 12:34pm (PST)
Subject:   First build help required
-------------------------------------------
So basically i want to build a new pc primarily to be used for gaming, I am based in the Uk if that makes a difference at all.I don't know that much about compatibility but I am not a total idiot

First off i was playing with the idea of using the new AMD 8 core processor, 12-16 gb of RAM 2-3 GB graphics card and running my os from an SSD, money isn't a huge issue as i can buy parts hugely discounted from retail prices.

Any help/advice is appreciated

Author:   Benedict
Date:   Nov 20, 12 at 4:21pm (PST)
Subject:   re: First build help required
You gotta give us some sort of budget. £500? £1000? £5000?

Date:   Nov 20, 12 at 7:41pm (PST)
Alright I'll say between £1,000 - £1,500. Although I work in an amazon warehouse and receive upto 55% off any products so bare that in mind.

Thanks in advance.

Date:   Nov 21, 12 at 12:44pm (PST)
quote BaddestRuffest
Alright I'll say between £1,000 - £1,500. Although I work in an amazon warehouse and receive upto 55% off any products so bare that in mind.

Thanks in advance.[/div]
...okay.
How much discount do you get on the i7-3930k?
i want your discount ;-;

Date:   Nov 21, 12 at 12:58pm (PST)
I'd pay roughly just over £200 about £225, are i7's worth the cash though? Just curious because a guy I work with has an i3 overclocked to 4.2gb. I am how ever open to all ideas

Date:   Nov 21, 12 at 4:41pm (PST)
quote BaddestRuffest
I'd pay roughly just over £200 about £225, are i7's worth the cash though? Just curious because a guy I work with has an i3 overclocked to 4.2gb. I am how ever open to all ideas [/div]
£200 for the fastest home processor (minus i7-3960k).

Date:   Nov 21, 12 at 8:32pm (PST)
Yes, I have double checked and the retail price is around £477-£500, the way my discount works is 50% of that price and then a further 10% of the reduced price so if it was £500 I'd have to pay £225.

Date:   Nov 21, 12 at 8:36pm (PST)
Now I think about it I could get it cheaper still if I take just the processor out and ditch the standard cpu cooler I could get it loads cheaper and just buy an after market cooler which I planned to do anyway.

Date:   Nov 21, 12 at 8:39pm (PST)
Also looking around for RAM and figure I can buy the G Skill Ripjaws Z 16GB DDR3 2133MHz for about £60, advisable ?

Date:   Nov 22, 12 at 2:42pm (PST)
quote BaddestRuffest
Also looking around for RAM and figure I can buy the G Skill Ripjaws Z 16GB DDR3 2133MHz for about £60, advisable ?[/div]
That sounds good.
Need hiigaran in here to recommend some stuff for a $4000 build. Hiigaran, don't you dare say anything other than the best.

That's unless you want to be saving as much money as you can, and taking advantage of your discounts to get something very cheap. You could get a high-end gaming PC for under £500 after your discounts if you wanted to.

Author:   hiigaran
Date:   Nov 22, 12 at 3:03pm (PST)
what is the purpose of this computer? honestly, id say that pas a certain point, you wont see faster hardware being worth their prices. grab a GTX 680, or if you really need the power, two 680s in SLI on a mobo that can handle x16 x16 SLI (as opposed to x16 x8 or x16 x4). however, i wouldnt go further than that. the law of diminishing returns will hit you hard past this point, anyway. dont forget that even with your discounts, having an excessively powerful rig will mean you will get raped with your power bill. on the topic of that, considering your discounts, look for a platinum efficiency PSU at a wattage that is double what your average power consumption will be (highest efficiency at ~50% load...less heat made and less power consumed).

an i7 3770K is a definite given. ivy bridge uses less power than sandy bridge, and is more powerful.

depending on prices, you might find it cheaper to get a socket 2011 system, and use slower RAM in the quad channel memory to get double the bandwidth. four 1066mhz sticks of RAM in quad channel will have as much bandwidth as two 2133mhz sticks.

probably best to stick with ivy bridge, but i figured i should bring that up anyway.

Date:   Nov 22, 12 at 3:30pm (PST)
The i7-3770k vs the i7 3930k... here we go again

Author:   hiigaran
Date:   Nov 22, 12 at 10:19pm (PST)
you cant go wrong with either one.

'again'?

Date:   Nov 23, 12 at 11:23am (PST)
The sole use of the rig will be for gaming, I want to be able to play any game on maximum settings and resolution for the next couple of years without having to worry. Here is the killer blow, the discount I receive has today been reduced to 30% off of the original retail price and then 10% off the reduced price so I think my budget needs a rethink. Could you do a work up that would meet my needs without skimping or cutting corners and see how we go.

Date:   Nov 29, 12 at 11:37am (PST)
Okay so I treated myself to an i7 3960x and was wondering what would be the best choice of board/ram and gfx card to compliment and get the best from my system.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.