Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: ~$800 Gaming Build - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/17/t1794370-800-gaming-build/

Author:   Nagare
Date:   Nov 18, 12 at 8:38pm (PST)
Subject:   ~$800 Gaming Build
-------------------------------------------
I'm getting closer and closer to actually replacing my current PC and wonder what you guys think about this:

Core i5-3570k $220 Similar performance AMD for lower cost maybe?
Asus Z77 Mobo $125 Came in a combo with the case, I just want something compatible and with HDMI out
G Skill 16GB Ram $55 16GB RAM, other cheaper brand?
Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD $50 Good brand, reasonable price
Gigabyte 7950 $300 this is the main thing I want to stay
Rosewill Challenger Case $40 Was cheapish, don't care
550W PSU $20 cheapest I saw with decent reviews
-----
$810

I'm sure that the CPU and mobo are more highly priced than what I really need, but I don't know anything about them really. I play games like Portal 2, Dota 2, Borderlands 2, SC2, GW2, Crysis 2, Payday, and Battlefield 3 (lots of 2s in that list...). I play at 1680*1050, but I'd like to have a relatively future proof GPU and the deal with Hitman, Sleeping Dogs, and Far Cry 3 is too good.

Could you fine folks help me out?

A few mentions: halo3rox, hiigaran, harbin91, Crusad3r

Thanks

Author:   Tonystew42
Date:   Nov 18, 12 at 9:38pm (PST)
Subject:   re: ~$800 Gaming Build
Are you going for a $800 build, or just go over budget when choosing parts?

You won't be needing more than 8GB of RAM for your usage. This will be plenty and knock a few bucks off the cost.

Unfortunately, the video card will probably have to come down. The power supply is crap, and my lowest recommendation would be something like this.

Author:   PureOCJim
Date:   Nov 18, 12 at 11:38pm (PST)
Build looks good.

Author:   Crusad3r
Date:   Nov 19, 12 at 3:45am (PST)
Your power supply won't be able to support your video card. I think you can cut back on the video card by a lot. This is more than sufficient for your needs. It'll last you as a GPU for at least 3 years, which is about the time you should be upgrading anyway.

Date:   Nov 19, 12 at 7:12am (PST)
Tonystew42, I know I went over but that is because I don't really know about the CPU and related mobo so I just picked something that was near the top of most bought. As for the RAM, it was $15 more for twice as much which I figured was reasonable given that I reach 100% usage on occasion as it is with my current 8 (although they are lower speeds).

Crusad3r, how do you know if the PSU won't support it? All I could find was "at least a 500W." And when you do choose, how do you generally determine how much to oversupply?

Date:   Nov 19, 12 at 7:16am (PST)
Nagare you'll need a top of the line 500w PSU to keep that GPU running. It'll be better to get a 650w PSU and cut back on the GPU. Far more cost efficient.

You won't get a future proof PC with a $600 budget, just saying.

Date:   Nov 19, 12 at 7:44am (PST)
Makes sense, thanks. And I'm not trying to make the whole thing future proof, just the graphics card for a bit so that I can maybe upgrade the processor or something else along the line.

Date:   Nov 19, 12 at 7:50am (PST)
It's easier to upgrade a GPU than it is a CPU. That's why as I said, it's more cost efficient to cut back on the GPU and go for a better power supply.

Author:   halo3rox
Date:   Nov 19, 12 at 10:06am (PST)
quote Nagare
I'm getting closer and closer to actually replacing my current PC and wonder what you guys think about this:

Asus Z77 Mobo $125 Came in a combo with the case, I just want something compatible and with HDMI out
-----
$810

I'm sure that the CPU and mobo are more highly priced than what I really need, but I don't know anything about them really. I play games like Portal 2, Dota 2, Borderlands 2, SC2, GW2, Crysis 2, Payday, and Battlefield 3 (lots of 2s in that list...). I play at 1680*1050, but I'd like to have a relatively future proof GPU and the deal with Hitman, Sleeping Dogs, and Far Cry 3 is too good.

Thanks
I would'nt trust a 550w with that kind of video card maybe a 7770 video card (which is cheaper and does run everything on ultra atm).CPU looks good but I would recommend an I3 as it kicks the crap out of every game on the market,I wouldnt bother with AMDs they are half the price but in the computing world you get what you pay for in other words half the price half as powerful,not to mention compatability issues.Anything above an I3 it is overkill unless you are overclocking.1024/768 resolution is much less hard on your GPU and looks nearly as good. RAM is pretty good but you only need 8GB atm anything over is overkill. Mobo does'nt matter as long as its a good brand and it looks like you picked a fairly decent board.Case does'nt matter unless you are overclocking and need a decent airflow (not an issue with this build) you would be fine with a $15 case if you buy an I3 the I5 might need a little better airflow though.

Date:   Nov 21, 12 at 10:00pm (PST)
As an update for this, I've ordered the RAM that I mentioned above and pretty much given up on the $600 price point XD. I'll be getting an i7 3770k with the help of a friend working at Best Buy who can take advantage of this deal which means it will be at most $120 shipped compared to the $150 I was looking to pay at Tiger Direct for their Black Friday sale. Probably getting this MSI Z77 mobo and this case. Do you guys have any good case recommendations that are available for under $50 instead of this one? Bumped up the PSU to 600W and hoping to grab this Thermaltake on Black Friday for $40 (-20 MIR). And a 2TB version of the Seagate for $70 as well.

Date:   Nov 23, 12 at 12:15am (PST)
quote Nagare
As an update for this, I've ordered the RAM that I mentioned above and pretty much given up on the $600 price point XD. I'll be getting an i7 3770k with the help of a friend working at Best Buy who can take advantage of this deal which means it will be at most $120 shipped compared to the $150 I was looking to pay at Tiger Direct for their Black Friday sale. Probably getting this MSI Z77 mobo and this case. Do you guys have any good case recommendations that are available for under $50 instead of this one? Bumped up the PSU to 600W and hoping to grab this Thermaltake on Black Friday for $40 (-20 MIR). And a 2TB version of the Seagate for $70 as well.
Coolermaster HAF is $50-$60. A pretty good case with good airflow if you like the design.

Date:   Nov 23, 12 at 12:16am (PST)
quote halo3rox
quote Nagare

-----
$810

Thanks
I would'nt trust a 550w with that kind of video card maybe a 7770 video card (which is cheaper and does run everything on ultra atm).CPU looks good but I would recommend an I3 as it kicks the crap out of every game on the market,I wouldnt bother with AMDs they are half the price but in the computing world you get what you pay for in other words half the price half as powerful,not to mention compatability issues.Anything above an I3 it is overkill unless you are overclocking.1024/768 resolution is much less hard on your GPU and looks nearly as good. RAM is pretty good but you only need 8GB atm anything over is overkill. Mobo does'nt matter as long as its a good brand and it looks like you picked a fairly decent board.Case does'nt matter unless you are overclocking and need a decent airflow (not an issue with this build) you would be fine with a $15 case if you buy an I3 the I5 might need a little better airflow though.
Ya, 12V rail only has 25 amps BTW

Date:   Nov 23, 12 at 12:43am (PST)
PureOCJim, I ended up ordering the HAF 912. Also, what does the rail and amp count mean? O:

Date:   Dec 10, 12 at 7:32pm (PST)
For any of you curious folk out there, here are the final parts I ordered for the system (as a note I skipped the budget and ended up aiming for under $900 instead...)

Core i7 3770k $118.24
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H 115
Sapphire 7950 300
G-Skill Ares 16GB 55
Seagate Barracuda 2TB 70
HyperX 3K 120GB SSD 64
Corsair Enthusiast TX750 85
in a Cooler Master HAF 912 55

Total cost of $862.43 unless I decide to grab an after market heat sink/CPU fan which I'll probably do if I see the Hyper 212+ or Evo for about $20 sometime during the holiday season. After rebates (which I'm not too optimistic about given that they are rebates...) it would be about $796.

Author:   bobbyg2
Date:   Dec 11, 12 at 1:08am (PST)
Looks good!

I woulda chosen a mobo with at least two pcie 3.0 x16 slots for crossfirex down the road, but if all you want is a single card that's a good mobo!

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.