Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Computer Upgrade ASAP - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/17/t1774702-computer-upgrade-asap/

Author:   Sapphiryeon
Date:   Oct 12, 12 at 7:22am (PST)
Subject:   Computer Upgrade ASAP
-------------------------------------------
Hello, everyone!

So I wanted some outside opinion on my current situation. My current laptop, a Toshiba Satellite L505 has broken down. I can have it fixed, but I think it's time for a new laptop!

I am stuck between sticking with Toshiba or trying a new brand. I would really prefer sticking with Toshiba, though.

The main features I am looking for in the new laptop are:

At most 6 GB RAM and HDD

At least 1366x768 HD graphics

At least one 3.0 USB port

At least one 2.0 USB port

HDMI output

Headphone jack, microphone jack, and webcam, naturally.

Possibly a quad core or high performance processors, something that can handle light gaming, but heavy multi-tasking.

And finally, I am trying to fit all of these features under a budget of at most $500, But I am willing to go a little over if it's worth it.

Side Note:
I am trying to make a purchase as soon as possible due to being in the middle of a college semester, so quick replies are much appreciated!

Thank you in advance and feel free to post any suggestions, tips, and advice! ^-^

Also, here are a few laptops I have been looking into already:

1. Toshiba L755D-S5163

2. Toshiba L755D-S7132

3. Toshiba Satellite S855D-S5253

4. Samsung 5-550

5. HP 6-1010

6. Acer Aspire

Author:   Shadow of Death
Date:   Oct 12, 12 at 7:50am (PST)
Subject:   re: Computer Upgrade ASAP
Just popping in to post my recommendation, even though she's more keen on getting another Toshiba XD

This One (the one she has in the 6th slot). Apparently the Intel HD 4000 > 6520g (which is what her #1 choice uses.

It's a hyperthreaded dualcore rather than a proper quadcore, but still. Noticeable improvement in gaming performance, and at low to mid tier graphics expectations from the GPU anyway, the CPU being a proper quad core doesn't matter so much I think.

So I think it's the best option. Though if anyone can find something better in the price range, that would be excellent.

EDIT: Here is the enclosure link, for reference. Click

Author:   hiigaran
Date:   Oct 12, 12 at 12:06pm (PST)
before i make any recommendations, what do you use your laptop for? gaming? video editing? something else? this is important, because if you, for example, game, you wont need 6 gigs of RAM, unless you decide to go all out and grab something high end (even then, you probably wont need it...). you mentioned light gaming, so im assuming there is something else you will need this for.

Date:   Oct 12, 12 at 4:46pm (PST)
Hiigaran - Yeah, I'm mentioned the RAM thing to her. She's using it for schoolwork and Sims 3 (She wants it to run well). The benchmarks for the Intel HD 4000 graphics seem to suggest she could run that game on High, easy (over 50FPS).

EDIT: From what I've seen, it might even be possible to run BL2 on Low to Medium settings fairly smoothly. I've seen a video of someone playing it on medium, 720p resolution. They had a much more powerful CPU than the Acer Aspire has though.

Date:   Oct 13, 12 at 3:24am (PST)
AMDs APUs have better graphics than intels, iirc. might be a better idea to go for one of those systems instead.

EDIT: perhaps not the lowest end APU, but id need to look in to that.

Date:   Oct 13, 12 at 3:42am (PST)
quote hiigaran
AMDs APUs have better graphics than intels, iirc. might be a better idea to go for one of those systems instead.

EDIT: perhaps not the lowest end APU, but id need to look in to that.
Yep, not disagreeing with that (Intel has had a pretty poor history with on-chip graphics). But yeah, the 6520 is petty low end. The 4000 HD series is newer, and apparently much better than the 3000 series.

Of course, I don't bother with integrated graphics because you know, desktop gaming rig and all XD

Date:   Oct 13, 12 at 4:01am (PST)

of course.

well, ill see if ive got 15 to 20 minutes to search for something later today...

Date:   Oct 13, 12 at 4:02am (PST)
Yeah, basically what S.O.D. said. I want to use it for music, video editing, movies, games, like hosting servers for Minecraft through Tekkit packs, etc. I want to be able to do anything I want without worrying about the memory I'm using or over working the computer. But at the same time, handling school work, which is easy. But on breaks, it's time to turn up the heat!

So for now, I just want something that can handle Sims 3 and the other things I've listed up there without much of a problem until I save up for something better.

Edit: Late response. Okay, Hiigaran! Thank you! ^-^

Date:   Oct 13, 12 at 4:06am (PST)
alright, so you have both CPU and GPU intensive needs. which would you prefer to prioritise? do you want a faster GPU for gaming, while sacrificing CPU power, or the other way around?

as a side note, video editing is CPU intensive, most games are GPU intensive, but minecraft is CPU intensive. any other games aside from MC and sims?

Date:   Oct 13, 12 at 4:22am (PST)
I guess I could sacrifice GPU for CPU power. I don't video edit much anyways. I think that is because my old laptop couldn't handle it very well.
Sims and MC are the games I tend to play the most. I'm more of a console gamer than PC gamer, hence the light PC gaming. But I do have a game I would like to play, Elder Scrolls VI: Oblivion! I think the other games that I have will be handled just fine if the laptop can handle Oblivion.

What do you think?

Date:   Oct 13, 12 at 4:47am (PST)
yeah oblivion would be pretty heavy on the GPU side.

Date:   Oct 13, 12 at 1:08pm (PST)
What do you guys think about these?

1. Toshiba Satellite C875D

2. Toshiba Satellite C875D
Basically the same one but for a different price, I think.

3. Toshiba Satellite C855

4. Toshiba L875D

Date:   Oct 13, 12 at 1:39pm (PST)
this is 50 bucks over your budget, but it comes with a better CPU and GPU than the ones youve listed.

by the way, the fist toshiba you linked has incorrect specs, which is why the price is different.

Date:   Oct 15, 12 at 5:17am (PST)
Hiigaran oh yeah, she ended up getting This.

The 7520g is apparently a bit better than the HD 4000.

Hopefully she will be able to get a better computer later, and just uses this in the interim.

Date:   Jan 13, 13 at 5:59am (PST)
Ah! I'm sorry, Hiigaran! I meant to come back and let you know what I went with myself. I chose this laptop in a hurry (my professors were getting impatient DX) and the moment I got it, I was happy, but frustrated that I didn't get everything I wanted. But, it is okay! I can now get a better laptop with everything I want soon! ....After I get the PS Vita, of course

Anyways, thank you so much for helping me! When I look for my new laptop, I hope to call on your expertise again!

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.