Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Router to router bridge with wireless - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/17/t1757856-router-to-router-bridge-with-wireless/

Author:   hiigaran
Date:   Sep 02, 12 at 7:55am (PST)
Subject:   Router to router bridge with wireless
-------------------------------------------
so i got three routers. is it possible to connect my computer to a router, and then have that router connect to the internet wirelessly to another router?

Author:   The Slayer
Date:   Sep 02, 12 at 8:33am (PST)
Subject:   re: Router to router bridge with wireless
Yes, you will have to bridge them. Sadly, most router's firmware doesn't support that so you'll have to install dd-wrt on the router that isn't connected directly to the internet. This is the guide I've used before.

Date:   Sep 02, 12 at 9:19am (PST)
arrgh, it shows that its not possible for my router. im guessing theres no other CFM out there, right?

one of my routers is a work in progress though. what if i use the router that is not possible to implement this as my internet router, and then use the WIP router? i dont need to install this on both routers, right? though it still means i cant do it right now...

so theres no way to use a router as a method to detect other access points, right? basically to make it work like it was a PCI wifi card or USB dongle. or is that exactly what the CFM does?

Author:   VeGiTAX2
Date:   Sep 02, 12 at 9:47am (PST)
quote hiigaran
so theres no way to use a router as a method to detect other access points, right? basically to make it work like it was a PCI wifi card or USB dongle. or is that exactly what the CFM does?
You nailed it, from past experience you need the CFW to add those updated functions as so very few give that option out of the gate. Really annoying actually but they do it so they can make extra cash of their AP's which usually sell in much lower volume.

Date:   Sep 02, 12 at 9:50am (PST)
damn. halfway through my last post, i started to realise i could have stolen internet like that...ahh well

Date:   Sep 02, 12 at 9:54am (PST)
quote hiigaran
damn. halfway through my last post, i started to realise i could have stolen internet like that...ahh well
hahahaha that would have been pretty great as long as it wasn't encrypted. I mean there are ways around it but you don't want someone knocking at your door in a uniform with a pissed off neighbor next to them.

Date:   Sep 02, 12 at 9:59am (PST)
DIY directional antenna and possibly a signal amplifier = longer range. pick hotspot far off and no one will suspect you!

and yes, i do recall a pair of programs that would crack most security keys.

*sigh*, i could do with saving 60 bucks a month...

Date:   Sep 02, 12 at 11:03am (PST)
You mean pork and beans can and some clever soldering and wiring right? those were classic back in the early days for mega range pickup. Although the whole concept got crazier for targeted attacks when people starting using different antennas mounted into airsoft sniper rifles for bluetooth hijacking.

Date:   Sep 02, 12 at 11:40am (PST)

ahh yes, the good ol' cantennas. alternatively, asian cookware!

Author:   Ren of Heavens
Date:   Sep 03, 12 at 5:29am (PST)
quote hiigaran
one of my routers is a work in progress though. what if i use the router that is not possible to implement this as my internet router, and then use the WIP router? i dont need to install this on both routers, right? though it still means i cant do it right now...
What router is it? The database on the main DD-WRT site is horrendously out of date.

If you only do it with one router you can set it as a client bridge - you'll still have access to the internet but you won't have full visibility between local devices.

Date:   Sep 03, 12 at 6:01am (PST)
ahh...without looking back to check the router, its a WGT264. or a 263. hell, im not even sure thats the right one. all i know is WGT

Date:   Sep 03, 12 at 7:26am (PST)
Ah, the WGT624? Support for Atheros chips isn't anywhere near as good as the Broadcom, so you're probably are out of luck unless it's a v4 model

Date:   Sep 03, 12 at 10:24am (PST)
i think its a 3.

i dont suppose the DIR-635 is supported? thats the one that said it was not possible to do.

Date:   Sep 03, 12 at 12:58pm (PST)
The DIR-635 runs a Ubicom processor, so no support for that I'm afraid.

Date:   Sep 03, 12 at 1:03pm (PST)
dang

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.