Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: First Time Computer Build - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/17/t1733064-first-time-computer-build/

Author:   Wakaman
Date:   May 08, 12 at 10:40am (PST)
Subject:   First Time Computer Build
-------------------------------------------
Budget: I'd say that my max budget(from a trusted neomember suggestion) would be from $1000-$1300USD.

My Location: I live in the United States so currency would be USD.

Main Purpose: I plan to use it mainly for gaming and work/Uni related things so digital media, internet, gaming, and minor programs(Office and such).

Multitasking: Medium to alot amount of multitasking.

Games: I'd like to be able to play Battlefield 3 & Skyrim on ultra.

Resolution: I would love any recommendations here as I'm not aware which are the best for gaming. This one looks pretty sweet.

Overclocking: I plan on doing quite a bit since I plan on being part of the Brony@Home team.

Peripherals I have: None. I would appreciate it if you could find some recommendations.

Recycled Parts: None

This is ofcourse my first build so I don't really know anything about cases, RAM, HDDs etc. I'd appreciate some insight.

Author:   Sonic Flash
Date:   May 08, 12 at 11:52am (PST)
Subject:   re: First Time Computer Build
Do you have a monitor? I'm guessing if you don't have peripherals then the answer to that is "No", in which case you're looking at a grind of research to lower prices.

Do you have any good local computer places? They can be useful for certain parts, but always do your research. Being from the US you have a lot of choices for online shopping. Newegg.com is a big one. Tigerdirect.com and Amazon.com are less likely sources for the best selection/price on something.

Getting 6-8 gigs of RAM won't be a challenge; RAM prices are very friendly, and we're deeply embedded in DDR3 at the moment; it will be cheap.

You might consider a small ~64gb solid state drive to host the operating system, only because at higher speeds the hard drive becomes a bottleneck. They're expensive though, and it looks like this will already be a close shave.

You're only running one monitor that you've mentioned so far, so we're in luck there, price-wise.

When you pick out parts it's important to note when certain stats line up. Usually the parts you get will have some stat that ties back to what your motherboard will support. The socket type for the CPU, the slot type for GPU, RAM type and slots for RAM, etc. Doesn't hurt to identify bottlenecks like the bus speed of the motherboard being significantly lower than the CPU, etc.

Author:   hiigaran
Date:   May 08, 12 at 1:15pm (PST)
nice tags...

anyway, ill get a build up for you sometime tomorrow...in about 17 hours.

in addition to the already mentioned questions, how much hard disk space will you need? and how extreme will the overclocking be?

Author:   Wakaman
Date:   May 08, 12 at 3:03pm (PST)
quote hiigaran
nice tags...

anyway, ill get a build up for you sometime tomorrow...in about 17 hours.

in addition to the already mentioned questions, how much hard disk space will you need? and how extreme will the overclocking be?
I'm thinking 1/2TB HDDs, though now I don't know on whether to get an HDD or go for a smaller space & grab an SSD.

Well tbh I don't know man, the pc will be in use most of the time.

quote Sonic Flash
Do you have a monitor? I'm guessing if you don't have peripherals then the answer to that is "No", in which case you're looking at a grind of research to lower prices.
I have an old Acer monitor, not really good for much now though since it's been sitting in the attic for years. I was planning on researching actually I just need to know what would pass as a good gaming monitor and start from there.

quote Sonic Flash
Do you have any good local computer places? They can be useful for certain parts, but always do your research. Being from the US you have a lot of choices for online shopping. Newegg.com is a big one. Tigerdirect.com and Amazon.com are less likely sources for the best selection/price on something.
There's a few local places but I don't really trust them. I'll probably stick to online shopping.

quote Sonic Flash
Getting 6-8 gigs of RAM won't be a challenge; RAM prices are very friendly, and we're deeply embedded in DDR3 at the moment; it will be cheap.

You might consider a small ~64gb solid state drive to host the operating system, only because at higher speeds the hard drive becomes a bottleneck. They're expensive though, and it looks like this will already be a close shave.
Yeah I've seen a few in of these between $80-$130.

quote Sonic Flash
You're only running one monitor that you've mentioned so far, so we're in luck there, price-wise.
I wasn't including the monitor on the overall budget tbh, as this I can come by pretty easily, was just looking for an opinion here.

quote Sonic Flash
When you pick out parts it's important to note when certain stats line up. Usually the parts you get will have some stat that ties back to what your motherboard will support. The socket type for the CPU, the slot type for GPU, RAM type and slots for RAM, etc. Doesn't hurt to identify bottlenecks like the bus speed of the motherboard being significantly lower than the CPU, etc.
Yeah I'm rereading the build thread stickied for a better understanding of this.

Also I have a few questions concerning different cooling methods. For what I'm looking for would a water cooling kit/case be better or should I stick with fans?

And is there a significant difference or is this more for show/preference?

Author:   deeplove
Date:   May 08, 12 at 3:18pm (PST)
MLG used this monitor for console gaming I believe.

What I'm planning to do and it seems that lots do the same, is get a small sized SSD for the OS and some games and a big HDD for storage. Makes sense to me.

Author:   Jeolf
Date:   May 08, 12 at 3:20pm (PST)
You might want to consider to pick a budget harddrive for now. Some arguments for this:
+SSD cost per gigabyte might still drop a bit
+An upgrade later is simple addition of a drive. (in contrast to replacement)
+Unused space is wasted space, and even 500GB take a while to fill unless you have a lot to copy over.
- SSD do have a big impact on the snappy start-ups and doing disk intensive stuff.

If you are doing media stuff, do you care about better colour representation? Then there is a whole field of stuff regarding panel type to dig into. Essentially the cheapest kind (TN) isn't very good in that respect. IPS (allegedly) does better with the colours, but are generally more expensive. Try look at a few in a shop if you can,

Author:   Sonic Flash
Date:   May 08, 12 at 3:27pm (PST)
Water cooling can be very expensive and complicated. If it's your first build you should probably go with a nice fan, or perhaps an enclosed system like this.

Also SSDs have been out for years now, and though I don't doubt that they'll go down in price over time, it won't be an overnight drop at this point. If you're interested then keep an eye out for sales.

Date:   May 09, 12 at 1:02am (PST)
i wouldnt suggest either water cooling, or a ssd. not at you price range. besides, a good water cooling kit can run you up to 300 bucks.

btw, were you including a copy of windows in your budget?

Date:   May 09, 12 at 6:29am (PST)
okay, got a build for $1191.91 - $10 MIR - 15% promo code on the PSU:

Case $79.99

PSU $109.99

RAM $49.99

CPU Cooler $37.99

HDD & DVD Combo $103.98

CPU & Mobo Combo $309.98

Video Card $499.99

high performance cooling case, gold efficiency 750 watt PSU, 8 GB low voltage 1600mhz RAM, cheap but effective CPU cooler, 1TB hard drive with 64 meg cache and 7200 RPM, cheap DVD burner, i5-3750K ivy bridge CPU, a supporting mobo, and a GTX 680.

so the case and the CPU cooler together should keep your CPY cool enough while overclocking. the gold efficiency PSU means less heat is made by the PSU and you spend less on electricity bills...both good things. low voltage RAM uses less power and makes less heat. the ivy bridge CPU uses less power and makes less heat, and clock for clock, is about 15% faster than sandy bridge. and of course, the GTX 680 is a more powerful, less power hungry version of the GTX 580.

now a few things. i dont know if you want the OS included in the budget, or the monitor, so i left some money in the budget as extra. if you have enough money, you might want to swap out to some overclocking grade RAM. keep in mind that overclocking RAM ont really affect performance that much, unless you have some RAM intensive applications usually for servers. keep the linked RAM if you dont care. as for the CPU cooler, you can keep it, or go for something even more powerful if you want to spend the money on it. same for the mobo. if you want something better, swap it out (but it should be fine for overclocking...the mobo usually only makes a difference in extreme overclocking, anyway).

also, if you dont want to wait for a GTX 680 to be in stock, grab the 580.

Author:   PureOCJim
Date:   May 09, 12 at 8:31am (PST)
quote hiigaran

Case $79.99

PSU $109.99

RAM $49.99

CPU Cooler $37.99

HDD & DVD Combo $103.98

CPU & Mobo Combo $309.98

Video Card $499.99

high performance cooling case, gold efficiency 750 watt PSU, 8 GB low voltage 1600mhz RAM, cheap but effective CPU cooler, 1TB hard drive with 64 meg cache and 7200 RPM, cheap DVD burner, i5-3750K ivy bridge CPU, a supporting mobo, and a GTX 680.

so the case and the CPU cooler together should keep your CPY cool enough while overclocking. the gold efficiency PSU means less heat is made by the PSU and you spend less on electricity bills...both good things. low voltage RAM uses less power and makes less heat. the ivy bridge CPU uses less power and makes less heat, and clock for clock, is about 15% faster than sandy bridge. and of course, the GTX 680 is a more powerful, less power hungry version of the GTX 580.

now a few things. i dont know if you want the OS included in the budget, or the monitor, so i left some money in the budget as extra. if you have enough money, you might want to swap out to some overclocking grade RAM. keep in mind that overclocking RAM ont really affect performance that much, unless you have some RAM intensive applications usually for servers. keep the linked RAM if you dont care. as for the CPU cooler, you can keep it, or go for something even more powerful if you want to spend the money on it. same for the mobo. if you want something better, swap it out (but it should be fine for overclocking...the mobo usually only makes a difference in extreme overclocking, anyway).

see below post

Date:   May 09, 12 at 8:37am (PST)
quote PureOCJim
quote hiigaran

Case $79.99

PSU $109.99

RAM $49.99

CPU Cooler $37.99

HDD & DVD Combo $103.98

CPU & Mobo Combo $309.98

Video Card $499.99

Why a Z75 motherboard. That is as low end as you can get. Get this Asrock Z77 motherboard combo for $340. Still within budget. I would also look at a cheap SSD. A platter drive still remains the biggest bottleneck within a system. Add a 60G SSD and load operationg system and use the 1T HDD for data storage.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.910482

Date:   May 09, 12 at 8:55am (PST)
as low end as it gets? there are only two ivy bridge chipsets.

the only difference between Z75 and Z77 as far as i can tell is that Z77 can support smart response technology, and a minor addition to PCI-e configurations which wouldnt make a difference for anyone with less than 3 cards. as for the SRT, it just allows your SSD to act as a cache for a secondary hard drive. big whoop. not worth the extra 80 bucks. wouldnt be worth an extra 15 bucks. if you want to get a 'better' motherboard, it should be for better overclocking capabilities, which ive already mentioned is still an option if OP still has money left over.

SSD is also still an option, but i dont recommend it to someone unless their budget is a minimum of 1400-1500, depending on the deals.

Date:   May 09, 12 at 2:12pm (PST)
quote hiigaran
as low end as it gets? there are only two ivy bridge chipsets.

the only difference between Z75 and Z77 as far as i can tell is that Z77 can support smart response technology, and a minor addition to PCI-e configurations which wouldnt make a difference for anyone with less than 3 cards. as for the SRT, it just allows your SSD to act as a cache for a secondary hard drive. big whoop. not worth the extra 80 bucks. wouldnt be worth an extra 15 bucks. if you want to get a 'better' motherboard, it should be for better overclocking capabilities, which ive already mentioned is still an option if OP still has money left over.

SSD is also still an option, but i dont recommend it to someone unless their budget is a minimum of 1400-1500, depending on the deals.

better Mofset cooling, better phase change... You can get a 60G SSD for $80. He does not need a budget that high to get a SSD. put OS and main programs on the SSD.

The caching is worth the $80. The biggest bottleneck in his system will be the HDD. The read/write/copy speeds will be up to 5 times better along with the OS load times. Why have a poor drive with a nice system like this would be my question. If he does not need 1T HDD he could get a smaller HDD.

He also said a lot of multitasking and a SSD would speak for itself...........

The Z77 motherboard still fits within the budget so I have no idea why it would be questioned....... It is a far superior board than the one listed... far....

Date:   May 09, 12 at 2:28pm (PST)
one point which would require a mobo 70 bucks more expensive, plus 80 bucks for the drive itself is far from enough to call the chipset far superior. the mosfet cooling wouldnt be because of the chipset, so that point is moot and dependant on the mobo model. pretty sure phase change also.

sure, the caching makes the 77 better, but with that being the only real advantage, the cost is not justified, even if it is within budget, which mind you, does not have to be completely used up.

think of it like this..

Date:   May 09, 12 at 2:36pm (PST)
dammit, psp character limit again. as i was saying...

...imagine a gtx 580 and 680. suppose the 580 costs 400, and the 680 500 bucks. assume the only difference is performance. would you insist on the 680 if the extra performance was 5 percent? because you are along the same lines with the mobos.

one other thing...as someone who uses a 1tb hard drive, i can say that the loading times arent anything to complain about. okay, 10 second boot, but its not worth spending money on if you can spend it elsewhere.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.