Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: General Discussion 11 again: Now with twice the enchanting musk - page 9

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/17/t1675612-general-discussion-11-again-with-twice-enchanting-musk/9.htm

Author:   hiigaran
Date:   Nov 14, 11 at 8:33am (PST)
Subject:   re: General Discussion 11 again: Now with twice the enchanting musk
-------------------------------------------
glad to see some more platinum rated power supplies emerging in the market

still too expensive though...who wants to pay 160 big ones for a 550 watt? i mean, granted, that kingwin is a single rail which is almost exactly 550 on the 12v, and its modular, but at the prices they are at, theres no way in hell that i would recommend it to anyone unless they have money to blow. even then, half load is the most efficient, and that kingwin is 92% efficient at that level, but no enthusiast would run it at that level.

i might consider the 750 or the 1000 watt versions for people with a $2000+ budget if they dont care much for solid state, but geez...

Author:   duneworld
Date:   Nov 14, 11 at 12:52pm (PST)
I think Americans should be fairly glad that they've got any Platinum rated power supplies, because I still haven't seen any in the UK.

Date:   Nov 14, 11 at 1:16pm (PST)
no, i havent seen any on any other market either. still, for me, it would be affordable. unfortunately, at the time i was buying my parts, they only had a 550 watt unit, which of course, wasnt enough for me. even then, if i had that one explode, i dont think i would have wanted to risk buying overseas with a 200 dollar unit again.

Author:   Ren of Heavens
Date:   Nov 14, 11 at 1:28pm (PST)
Enermax have just released their platinum rated 500~1500W supplies in the UK, though it might take a while to filter through to retail.

Date:   Nov 14, 11 at 4:16pm (PST)
quote Ren of Heavens
Enermax have just released their platinum rated 500~1500W supplies in the UK, though it might take a while to filter through to retail.
I read somewhere that they wouldn't be available until January.

Date:   Nov 18, 11 at 12:14pm (PST)
i also just noticed now on the 80 plus website that they have a new certification after platinum, called titanium. half load efficiencies are supposedly 96 percent! thats pretty damn impressive. i doubt we will ever get it to 100%, but im sure we will come pretty darn close!

Date:   Nov 19, 11 at 4:03pm (PST)
There's always going to be some loss due to heating or vibrations in the components, so while we'll never hit 100%, it's good to see them still trying to improve on them

Has anyone ever used an Arduino before? I've been planning on getting the Duemilanove + Ethernet shield, then the Uno + Ethernet Shield but never got around to it. Had another look into what the current board was, and noticed they've integrated Ethernet with PoE, so no need for a shield

Ordered one yesterday, though not 100% on what I'm going to build yet. Current thoughts are either adding an LCD shield and displaying some data off the internet on it, or using it with a relay shield to control something around the house.

Date:   Nov 19, 11 at 4:06pm (PST)
...so...whats that about? shield?

Date:   Nov 19, 11 at 4:20pm (PST)
You have the base Arduino board, which has the processor etc on it that runs your programs, then you can stack additional boards on top of it known as shields that add extra things (Ethernet, wifi, motors, relays, LCDs etc).

Like this, with ethernet and wifi stacked on top:

Date:   Nov 19, 11 at 4:25pm (PST)
i still dont get it. what programs? what kind of things do you use this for?

Date:   Nov 19, 11 at 8:04pm (PST)
The important things in life, like flamethrower pumpkins

At its most basic it's just a prototyping board that can communicate over serial, and has a variety of analog & digital inputs & outputs. What you do with it is up to you

Date:   Nov 19, 11 at 8:11pm (PST)
id probably do something boring with it, like lights that turn on in room automatically...

Author:   harbin
Date:   Nov 19, 11 at 9:09pm (PST)
Like how there is a disclaimer on that site telling you not to make one, then puts up the instructions on how to make one

But yeah, probably do what Hiigaran would do with it. Make it do trivial stuff. Might be nice if you could make give it speech recognition and assign voice commands, then connect it to run the house... just need to hope it doesn't become self-aware.

Mind you, if you could do it then you might be able to tap into a new market. Probably would be alot of demand if you managed to do it properly.

Author:   The Red Devils
Date:   Dec 09, 11 at 5:02pm (PST)
Andy Carroll scores and then kisses Lukas Fabianski… on FIFA 12

Date:   Dec 27, 11 at 4:53pm (PST)
Hello everyone, Happy Christmas.

I've upgraded some of the parts on my machine.
Original spec:
AMD Phenom II X4 955 (stock freq. and cooling)
Asus M4A77TD Pro
Corsair 4GB DDR3 1333MHz 1.5V CAS8
XFX Radeon HD 4890 1GB
Thermaltake V9

I decided that I needed to quieten it down a bit and find a case which was less dusty. So I have bought and installed the following:
Silverstone NT06-E (with Thermalright TY-140 and Zalman ZM-STG2 TIM)
PowerColor Radeon HD 6850 SCS (with Antec TrueQuiet 120 ziptied on it, fan speed set at 600RPM)
And moved all of it into a Lian Li PC-9F. I had to put 7V adapters onto the front two fans as I don't have enough motherboard connectors for them and they were too noisy for me at their stock 1000RPM.

So far I'm pretty happy with it. Dust build up is much reduced and most of the time it is quiet enough for me. The highest temp I have seen on the 6850 was during GTA IV at 64C. Which is pretty good.
CPU temps are okay, but I'm consistently getting 30C while just web browsing and a high of 44C in GTA IV isn't really anything to complain about, but I think I can improve noise levels and temps by replacing the Silverstone with an as yet undecided tower cooler (hopefully the Thermalright True Spirit 120 becomes available in the UK, which is what I'm favouring atm because it performs well but should be at a good sub £30 price).

I don't know yet if I will be able to keep the TY-140 and use it on the tower cooler that I buy and will experiment with it, but if it doesn't fit and the stock fan of said unknown tower isn't up to my standards then I was wondering what 120 fan I could buy to use.
In an ideal world Antec will have released a PWM version of the TrueQuiet.

I've liked the look of the Deepcool UF120 / Alpenfohn 'The Beast' Wing Boost and like them because of the fan speed range (500-1500RPM), anti-vibration casing, accessories and the FDB/HDB bearing. But apparently they have low static pressure so not suited to blowing air through heatsinks.

The solution atm appears to be the Akasa Apache 120, which has the correct fan speed range, correct bearing type and apparently has good static pressure. I'm willing to forego the anti-vibration if it will be just as quiet and if it will get better temps.
http://www.akasa.com.tw/update.php?tpl=product/product.detail.tpl&no=181&type=Fans&type_sub=PWM Control&model=AK-FN058

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.