Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: General Discussion 11 again: Now with twice the enchanting musk - page 85

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/17/t1675612-general-discussion-11-again-with-twice-enchanting-musk/85.htm

Author:   hiigaran
Date:   Sep 29, 12 at 9:19am (PST)
Subject:   re: General Discussion 11 again: Now with twice the enchanting musk
-------------------------------------------
its nothing impressive. air and water cooling will never get below ambient temperatures, so the same temps would have probably been achieved with just a few of those fans. in much the same way a you cant stick 40 wind turbines in to a 100 square meter block of land to create a shitload of electricity, you cant stick that many fans together to create more cooling power. the law of diminishing returns applies to everything, and in this case, the diminishing returns are exponential.

Author:   harbin
Date:   Sep 29, 12 at 9:28am (PST)
I suppose when phase cooling becomes cheaper and quieter, or until we create some type of wonder material then cooling will become insane, but more most poeple, all they care about is that the temps of the chip are just cool enough for either overclocking or to keep everything stable.

In that case, it's better to leave the aftermarket cooler on the stock.

That is like in the same way that you can attach a shit ton of fans to the case, but it matters more about the layout of them rather than how many you have... a four in, four out layout will be more effective than having eight fans just blasting air into the case.

On the same topic, I'm not sure how my fans work. Some days they're alot quieter than other days. Sometimes I can distinctly hear the harddrive over the fan.

Date:   Sep 29, 12 at 9:32am (PST)
id love to have phase change cooling. hell, id build a system if i had the money to do so. problem is that they are so damn bulky.

on a different note, i wonder what it would look like if you were to get a desktop computer, three monitors, two speaker towers (as high as the monitors), a keyboard, and a mouse, and then put them all together into some kind of apparatus that allows you to transport it around...

Date:   Sep 29, 12 at 9:36am (PST)
quote hiigaran
on a different note, i wonder what it would look like if you were to get a desktop computer, three monitors, two speaker towers (as high as the monitors), a keyboard, and a mouse, and then put them all together into some kind of apparatus that allows you to transport it around...
You mean like buy a shopping trolley or something and modify it into a transportable PC?

What am I talking about... buy one, just steal it. It's a trolley. No one will care when you've modified it and hidden all the stuff... plus scrap dealers will happily take any left over metal.

Anyone got any reviews on the Be Quiet products? I've just seen one of their PSUs listed on ebuyer and just wondering if they are as good as they make them out to be?

Also wishes that there are more alternatives for 4Tb drives than Hitachi.

Date:   Sep 29, 12 at 9:50am (PST)
im sure you can compact it much more. think something like this:

except not a laptop, and with the other accessories going along with it. basically, making a desktop computer as small and portable as possible, without sacrificing the important stuff, like a pair of good speakers (screw headphones).

Date:   Sep 29, 12 at 10:35am (PST)
It'll need to be on a cabinet with wheels otherwise it'll just be one massive heavy thing. I suppose if you get the right mount for it then you could make the monitors compact and fold in though.

Author:   VeGiTAX2
Date:   Sep 29, 12 at 10:43am (PST)
You'd need to find a stereo amp to put in there as well as there aren't really any suitable speakers you're talking about (bookshelf or studio monitors) that would be able to use the dedicated power over the headphone output. So you'd want a Mini ATX / ITX + LED backlit monitors (CCFL would be much heavier and bulkier) + eyefinity or surround + stereo amp + bookshelf speakers.

Honestly sounds like a lot of weight to toss around.

btw sounds like the 20c might have been under load, in which case that's still an awful price to pay for it but the results are decent.

Date:   Sep 29, 12 at 10:48am (PST)
youd need some kind of riser and support for the video card as well, so that it can be parallel to the motherboard. then you can make the case thinner...probably 15cm thick. that would fit the PSU on its side as well. or you can get it as thin as the PSU if the card isnt mounted above the mobo (youd need a flexible riser for that though).

i think if you exclude the speakers, it should be light enough to carry by hand. better for it to be long and thin, than thick and short, and with a well designed handle, otherwise it would be uncomfortable to carry.

hey, i should build this!

EDIT: regarding the amp, i could swear ive seen PCI/PCI-e amps before.

Author:   VeGiTAX2
Date:   Sep 29, 12 at 11:03am (PST)
There are some cards with "amps" but it's generally for louder output over standard pc speakers and headphones and the crippling factor is the card isn't designed to handle consumer speakers. The difference in draw based on the OHM's can cook a card like that without a lot of effort.

Unfortunately those aren't really designed for the use you're hoping for.

Date:   Sep 29, 12 at 11:06am (PST)
quick google search showed a guy who built an amp with 100 watts per channel on to a card, powered by molex.

of course, id be more concerned about whether the PSU would handle it.

Date:   Sep 29, 12 at 11:13am (PST)
I suppose if you have a car battery or something that could be used on the trolley that would provide you with a power source... would need to be a very high capacity battery... more than what a UPS could deliver. You wouldn't need a fullblown amp, or a sound card. Plus some smaller speakers can deliver good sound quality. Something like this I'd imagine would be enough.

Anyone know how to set up shortcut keys for folders? I've decided I want ⊞Win+Ctrl+M to open my music folder. I know it can be done with program shortcuts but I'm talking a folder here.

Date:   Sep 29, 12 at 11:17am (PST)
uhh, no power source. it would be portable, but still with external power, because of that exact reason.

Author:   deeplove
Date:   Oct 02, 12 at 6:16am (PST)
Haswell...

Author:   Luis_GT
Date:   Oct 03, 12 at 9:01pm (PST)
I just went full blown nostalgic a few moments ago...

Was thinking of doom 3 and how awesome it was to play it with a 6800 card... That was 8 years ago... I feel so old remembering like it was yesterday

Date:   Oct 04, 12 at 7:53am (PST)
i find it completely sad that i enjoy old games more than new games. one could argue that im just getting old, and that i enjoyed the games from my time, but i think thats a load of bullshit. they truly dont make games like they used to. of course, there are always exceptions, but todays games are a bunch of rehashed piles of crap based on the good games of previous eras.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.