Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: General Discussion 11 again: Now with twice the enchanting musk - page 81

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/17/t1675612-general-discussion-11-again-with-twice-enchanting-musk/81.htm

Author:   harbin
Date:   Sep 17, 12 at 6:17am (PST)
Subject:   re: General Discussion 11 again: Now with twice the enchanting musk
-------------------------------------------
quote Luis_GT
quote harbin91
Did you actually spend those ten minutes trying to find that picture?

Don't worry, I'll be getting Perfect Dark, Conkers Bad Fur Day, Super Smash Brothers, Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong Racing to join it.
Got non of those, but have Starfox 64, Automobili lamborghini, Ocarina of time, Golden Eye, and a few others, with a working N64
Of them I've got Starfox and OOT on my 3DS.

HD is considered to be 720p with True HD being 1080p. Then there is Apple and their ploy of offering 'greater than HD' which for the time being is absolutely pointless because nothing ever will use what they've created for a good few years... although it is Samsung that have developed the screen for them.

The number refers to how many rows of pixels there are, not columns. It all follows 16:9 though. No matter how big the screen size is, the resolution will stay the same. A 27" 1080p screen, will have the same resolution as a 10" 1080p screen. Bigger screen sizes are recommended if you view the screen from a bigger distances, there is chart or graph somewhere that explores how noticeable a difference you get at different screensizes at different distances.

I believe when things are referred as HD they actually mean 1080p HD.

Author:   hiigaran
Date:   Sep 18, 12 at 7:00am (PST)
*sigh*

recently, i allowed my mother to borrow my phone...my trusty nokia tank which ive had since around 2000. one day. one bloody day was all it took for her to *bleep* it up. not even a day. an hour after i left, i get a SMS from her saying that she *bleep*ed it up. now the speaker doesnt work on my phone.

so now i need suggestions on a good phone. none of that touchscreen bulshit. i need a no-nonsense phone that has a long lasting battery, is built like a tank, and if possible, can survive water submersion. any ideas? and yes, ive already looked at the land rover s1

oh, and it needs to be as cheap as possible.

Date:   Sep 18, 12 at 7:20am (PST)
Can't be much of a tank if she breaks the speaker on it. As I recall you used to be able to smash the phone against the wall and it never broke.

Hard to suggest, cheaper phones don't have touch screens but aren't invincible. All phones will survive submersion in water as long as you let it dry off sufficiently. I had a cheap mp3 player that survived a round in the washing machine.

How did she *bleep* the speaker up? Can you not attempt repairs yourself or just have some cheap 90s headphones for it?

In other news, some twat has hidden my Lemsip and I'm chucking mucous out my nose like no ones business, to the point I can use a pack of tissues within an hour and half. Wouldn't be so bad but I wasn't even sure my previous sinus infection cleared up fully until I got cold.

Date:   Sep 18, 12 at 7:27am (PST)
Can't be much of a tank if she breaks the speaker on it.
thats one of the reasons im so confused as to how she managed to do it!

All phones will survive submersion in water as long as you let it dry off sufficiently. I had a cheap mp3 player that survived a round in the washing machine.
about two years ago, i was given a samsung phone by my uncle because he was sick of seeing that old thing i called a phone all the time. a month later, i forgot it in the wash. never worked again. i let it dry and all, but even after returning it, they said they dont do water damage. there must be some kind of water sensitive detector that triggers to stop people from returing them...or maybe it purposefully destroys the phone, who knows

How did she *bleep* the speaker up? Can you not attempt repairs yourself or just have some cheap 90s headphones for it?
i cant open the phone. theres a thing you press at the top, but it wont open.

Date:   Sep 18, 12 at 7:42am (PST)
The phone is that much of a tank you can't even get in it. Can you not prise it open with a screwdriver or something? There is always a way to get into things.

I had a Samsung slide phone aswell... replaced that because the call quality on it started going to shit.

Author:   Ren of Heavens
Date:   Sep 18, 12 at 7:45am (PST)
quote hiigaran
so now i need suggestions on a good phone. none of that touchscreen bulshit. i need a no-nonsense phone that has a long lasting battery, is built like a tank, and if possible, can survive water submersion. any ideas? and yes, ive already looked at the land rover s1

oh, and it needs to be as cheap as possible.
Nokia did a range of shockproof/waterproof phones a few years back, you should be able to find them quite cheaply secondhand - but will probably want a fresh battery by now. They survived years of abuse on building sites quite well.

For a new one the JCB Toughphone isn't terribly expensive.

Edit: Slightly cheaper on Amazon.

quote hiigaran
i let it dry and all, but even after returning it, they said they dont do water damage. there must be some kind of water sensitive detector that triggers to stop people from returing them...or maybe it purposefully destroys the phone, who knows
There's a water sensitive marker inside almost every phone made in the last decade, that changes colour on contact with water. Usually a pink dot on a sticker under the battery.

Author:   The Slayer
Date:   Sep 18, 12 at 9:09am (PST)
Does no one check pockets before they throw clothes in the washer? I always check my pockets. Saved me from washing my chapstick a few times, find coins in them all the time. Never almost washed my wallet or phone, but hard to when I check the pockets.

Hiigaran, I have an iPhone 3Gs thats lasted 3 years without a problem. The battery will last me two or three days with limited use. Usually at the end of the day its only at 70%.

Author:   deeplove
Date:   Sep 18, 12 at 11:00am (PST)
I never check my pockets. I'm always washing my earphones and flash drives.

Date:   Sep 18, 12 at 11:33am (PST)
Does no one check pockets before they throw clothes in the washer?
thats what happens when you make phones that are bloody tiny!

iPhone
the day i buy an iphone is the day i have angry buttsex with the devil

Ren of Heavens - i would have bought that if the battery life didnt suck. needs to be 800 hours of standby or more. the absolute lowest im willing to do is 500.

Date:   Sep 18, 12 at 11:44am (PST)
quote hiigaran
the day i buy an iphone is the day i have angry buttsex with the devil
You want to have sex with Vegitax2?

Date:   Sep 18, 12 at 11:51am (PST)
...no comment

Author:   VeGiTAX2
Date:   Sep 18, 12 at 11:59am (PST)
Gross and I'm not actually the devil, just a horseman of the apocalypse, get it right people.

Date:   Sep 18, 12 at 12:20pm (PST)
i thought you were Nurgle

Author:   Supernova1332
Date:   Sep 18, 12 at 3:25pm (PST)
First bit of rumors on the numbers for the HD 8800 series are popping up.

http://videocardz.com/34981/amd-radeon-hd-8870-and-hd-8850-specifiation-leaked

These are all theoretical numbers of course.

For the 8870
Given the core clock speed of 1100mhz and the SP TFLOPS of 3.94 the total number of shaders ends up at 1792.
MFLOPS / FLOPS per cycle / core clock in mhz = Shaders
3940000 / 2 / 1100 = ~1792

Given the core clock speed and the texture fillrate of 123.2GT/s the total number of texture units is 112.
Texture Fillrate / core clock = Texture units

The number of ROPs seems to stay the same at 32 given the pixel fillrate and core clock.
Pixel fillrate / core clock = ROPs

And of course the memory will be clocked at 1000mhz. I'm very surprised at the 192bit memory bus though. AMD/ATI has never once used a 192bit memory bus. Seems like they'll be going for 3gb of ram for these cards.

The basic GCN compute unit houses 64 shaders, in four SIMD groups of 16, and four texture units. As long as they keep the same numbers in the new gen GCN then the numbers match up perfectly at 28 compute units.

Date:   Sep 18, 12 at 5:09pm (PST)
Bloody hell give the 7xxx series chance eh AMD?

Might be just in time for my next upgrade, if not and the current setup still maxes out games then I'll miss that generation. Definately would need a new board though (for PCIE3), since a new card would likely be the 8950/70 of the two.

If them projections are anything accurate, seems like it'll be a big increase between series, although can't really tell since I don't know what the projection was between 6xxx and 7xxx.

For that table, how come reduction in power and price are in red, that would imply the decrease in power consumption and the fact its cheaper is bad.

Tempted to Nvidia Intel though, but that will depend on what dominates the market and benchmarks at the time. For now, I'm happy with my 6950 and Phenom.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.