Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: General Discussion 11 again: Now with twice the enchanting musk - page 80

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/17/t1675612-general-discussion-11-again-with-twice-enchanting-musk/80.htm

Author:   hiigaran
Date:   Sep 16, 12 at 11:58am (PST)
Subject:   re: General Discussion 11 again: Now with twice the enchanting musk
-------------------------------------------
nope. i just googled 'golden eye face'

Author:   harbin
Date:   Sep 16, 12 at 12:03pm (PST)
You know, I've only just realised why Pierce Brosnans face has been distorted like that. /oblivious

15 years on and I've only just realised that box art issue.

Date:   Sep 16, 12 at 12:04pm (PST)
i...i dont know how to respond to that. thats just...sad

wonder what else youve missed...

Date:   Sep 16, 12 at 12:14pm (PST)
I can't help it if I don't notice these things at first

Speaking of which, I'll have to get Rogue Squadron on my PC aswell. Emulators are awesome... and I can say that because we haven't got a moderator.

Games these days just don't beat the awesomeness of the 90s.

Author:   The Slayer
Date:   Sep 16, 12 at 12:19pm (PST)
quote harbin91
Emulators are awesome... and I can say that because we haven't got a moderator.
Hmm? Emulators are a bit of a grey area. I think the software itself is legal, but the ROM's aren't, but they don't really care too much about older systems, like the N64.

I think as long as you're not linking to an emulator or a game download, its fine.

Date:   Sep 16, 12 at 12:23pm (PST)
TBH IMO it becomes legal when I already own the game on the system. Having said that, alot of the NES and SNES roms I have I don't own. Even then, software companies don't seem too bothered at trying to tackle the issue, even though thats the only way people these days can enjoy retro games, without owning the consoles which would fetch a good price.

Surprised comanies such as Nintendo, Sega, etc... haven't jumped on board with official PC emulators and proper ported rom packs they sell. I'd buy them.

The Virtual Console on the Wii would be the only reason I'd ever own it... that and Skyward Sword.

Date:   Sep 16, 12 at 12:26pm (PST)
ill just do whatever. i dont want to pay for my games. i wouldnt have bought them anyway, because i cant afford them.

Date:   Sep 16, 12 at 12:46pm (PST)
I don't mind paying for shit, if I could afford it, or if it wasn't so expensive. Main reason I would pay for it is because I want to support the developers or creators and not the publishers. Only problem is they get most of the money.

Date:   Sep 16, 12 at 6:20pm (PST)
random question...exactly what the hell is HD? is it a minimum resolution, or something else? because i look at all this HD stuff, and see 720p and 1080p, which is supposed to be the number of pixels in the height, and then i realise...shit, there are plenty of monitors that exceed those resolutions without having a massive HD symbol slapped on them. so what gives?

Author:   Luis_GT
Date:   Sep 16, 12 at 6:36pm (PST)
quote harbin91
Did you actually spend those ten minutes trying to find that picture?

Don't worry, I'll be getting Perfect Dark, Conkers Bad Fur Day, Super Smash Brothers, Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong Racing to join it.
Got non of those, but have Starfox 64, Automobili lamborghini, Ocarina of time, Golden Eye, and a few others, with a working N64

Also got a fully working SNES, and sometimes the NES works as well... when it wants to

quote hiigaran
random question...exactly what the hell is HD? is it a minimum resolution, or something else? because i look at all this HD stuff, and see 720p and 1080p, which is supposed to be the number of pixels in the height, and then i realise...shit, there are plenty of monitors that exceed those resolutions without having a massive HD symbol slapped on them. so what gives?
Marketing!

Date:   Sep 16, 12 at 6:39pm (PST)
720p is 1280×720 and 1080p is 1920x1080.

It started out as just an easy way to know what resolution a TV was. Before HD, all tv's were pretty much the same resolution, 480p (640x480 or 720x480 widescreen for NTSF) so it wasn't really needed. When HD came out, there were now 3 resolutions, 1080p/i, 720p, 480p (SD). Then it exploded into a marketing circle jerk where everyone was trying to sell their HD TV's so word quickly got out that HD = orgasmic.

Now we have companies throwing HD on everything from cleaning supplies to sun glasses and all sorts of crazy stuff. I could probably sell dog shit HD and sell it to some idiot.

Whats really annoying is how popular HD is now, all you have to do is make something 720p (like laptops) or 1080p (computer monitor) and it will sell, so companies have no real need to make higher resolution products, using 2k or even 4k.

Date:   Sep 16, 12 at 6:44pm (PST)
so its nothing more than just resolution? pfft.

720p is 1280×720 and 1080p is 1920x1080.
wouldnt that depend on the aspect ratio?

Date:   Sep 16, 12 at 6:54pm (PST)
They are both 16x9 aspect ratio, its just different resolutions. The same that monitors have different resolutions, there are two different resolutions for TV's. You can buy a TV that has a max resolution of 1280x720 or a TV that has a max resolution of 1920x1080.

Author:   Fatal Error
Date:   Sep 16, 12 at 7:19pm (PST)
TVs actually use 1366x768 more often than 1280x720 and call it 720p and I do not know why.

Date:   Sep 16, 12 at 7:25pm (PST)
Oh yeah, I forgot about that one. I have no idea either, but it makes it really confusing and weird.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.