Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: General Discussion 11 again: Now with twice the enchanting musk - page 8

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/17/t1675612-general-discussion-11-again-with-twice-enchanting-musk/8.htm

Author:   Ren of Heavens
Date:   Oct 14, 11 at 11:45am (PST)
Subject:   re: General Discussion 11 again: Now with twice the enchanting musk
-------------------------------------------
It depends, a lot of them can do "HD", but will upscale a 640x480 camera to 1280x720+ or they might do HD, but at very low FPS or totally unable to cope with changes in light/motion blur. No need to spend loads, I'd just avoid the ones priced ridiculously low.

Author:   hiigaran
Date:   Oct 14, 11 at 2:56pm (PST)
well i dont need it for anything big, so i should be fine...and in any case, whats 5 bucks anyway?

Author:   Ren of Heavens
Date:   Oct 19, 11 at 12:21pm (PST)
Has the "Top Discussion sub groups:" at the top of the forum always been there? Seems to be broken either way as it's listing them alphabetically...

Date:   Oct 19, 11 at 1:39pm (PST)
its always been there, but there seems to be more now, than there was before. tbh, i dont see the point to them

Author:   harbin
Date:   Oct 20, 11 at 1:12am (PST)
Anyone had any experience with the Crucial 64GB M4 SSD? Now I have a job, and get £230 a week I'm actually planning to go ahead with the new build (see a few pages back for me talking about a CPU). It's listed for £79.99 but I can get it for £69.99.

Don't plan it on being a massive high end build but decent enough, with a £500 budget. Planning on getting that AMD Phenom X4 965. Also planning on getting a SSD to install the OS on, and only using that for the OS, with a view in the future (when capacities go up and they get cheaper to buying a high capacity one for games). I'm planning on taking the harddrives and the graphics card over from my current PC since the GPU (ATI Radeon HD5570) is fairly new.

Leaving just a mobo, RAM, PSU and a case and depending on money left over, a few optional components (perhaps a TV card or something). I have a few copy of Windows 7 64bit Professional to use aswell (came with the IT apprenticeship I did a few months back), just £100 to upgrade the license to Ultimate.

Not quite upto date on exchange rates but as far as I'm aware, £500 is about $1000 USD.

Author:   duneworld
Date:   Oct 20, 11 at 8:17pm (PST)
Better off saving ~£15 and getting the Phenom II X4 955 (£91).

RAM
G. Skill Ripjaws X 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz CAS9 1.5V £26
http://www.ebuyer.com/264748-g-skill-4gb-2x2gb-ddr3-1600mhz-ripjawsx-memory-module-cl9-9-9-9-24-1-5v-f3-12800cl9d-4gbxl
There is also an 8GB set for £43.

PSU
Thermaltake Toughpower XT 575W 80Plus Bronze Modular £56
http://www.ebuyer.com/234911-thermaltake-575w-toughpower-xt-modular-psu-tpx-575m
5570s aren't very power hungry so, if you could find one, a ~300W PSU would be perfectly fine for this card. However if you ever want to run a power hungry gaming graphics card then this is suitable for one of them (if not two).

Case
Obviously find a case that you like.

Mobo
Asrock 970 Extreme3 AM3+ £83
http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/motherboards/amdam3plusallchipsetmotherboards/970extreme3.html

Reason for edit: changed link description

Date:   Oct 21, 11 at 12:05am (PST)
Would the 200mhz really make much of difference? Or atleast enough the extra £15?

I'm not entirely fussed about case, as long as its good with cooling. 10 million LEDs and a window panel isn't important.

duneword the RAM linked is a 4GB set, not 8GB as you've said... or is that two of the 2x2GB sets? Only that I've searched for the 8GB set on ebuyer which is available for a few quid cheaper than buying two of the 4GB sets... if that makes any sense.

EDIT: Just noticed I put the wrong graphics card down... it's an XFX HD5670, not a 5570.

Date:   Oct 21, 11 at 12:09pm (PST)
harbin, that was just a mistake in the description. If you wanted 8GB then obviously you would just buy a 2x4GB set.

No I don't believe the frequency difference between the 955 and 965 justifies £15. They are exactly the same chip, just some are chosen to be 955s and 965s without any consideration of quality, etc. To get 965 performance out of a 955, you just have to raise the multiplier by one.

I have just realised how tall the G.skill sets of RAM are (typically 40mm according to their website), so if you ever want to install a tower CPU cooler then you would restrict your choices less if you went for a set without tall heatspreaders like Corsair Vengeance Low Profile or XMS.

5670s aren't that power hungry either, a good ~550W PSU would easily handle two of them.

Seems like you have plenty left in your budget, but this is a good cheap one:
Bitfenix Shinobi £48
http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Cases/MIDI+Tower/BitFenix+Shinobi+Black+Midi+Tower+Chassis+?productId=45934

Date:   Oct 22, 11 at 12:22pm (PST)
quote duneworld
harbin, that was just a mistake in the description. If you wanted 8GB then obviously you would just buy a 2x4GB set.
The reason I asked is because the motherboard linked has four slots so if I wanted to it could take upto 32GB. 16GB would seem like an overkill ATM though.

I've searched Google and apparently 2x4 is better than 4x2 because it gives less load on the memory controller.

EDIT: Found AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition on Amazon direct from AMD for £94.

Do the processors come with stock coolers? If so how good are they?

Date:   Oct 22, 11 at 1:12pm (PST)
Yes they come with a stock cooler (and thermal paste pre-applied). I have been using it for the last ~1.5yrs and for the majority of that time it has kept my processor cool enough. However I am replacing it soon because I am not satisfied with the noise levels it produces. I would probably recommend trying it out first before deciding if it is cool/quiet enough for you.

Date:   Oct 24, 11 at 1:18am (PST)
Back again. So I'm now near enough settled on the build, but one question is that I've been looking at the new AMD FX8120. Was considering it aswell, until I found reviews and saw that it was considered inferior to the X6, and is beaten in performance by the i5 2600k. Question is now, I can pick up an X6 1100T for around £60 more than the X4. Would the £60 extra be worth two cores? Would two cores make a difference?

I shouldn't need to alter anything else of the build if I do, right? I've checked the motherboard and that is fine with an X6.

Side note, can someone explain how RAM performance is worked out? Only that from what I can see the main things that affect how good RAM is is the latency timings and the RAM Speed. How do these affect how good RAM is as I've seen RAM with a slower speed but have a lower latency time. I'm not exactly sure how you work out which latency is better:

Date:   Oct 25, 11 at 5:22pm (PST)
okay i got the webcam - now i need a program that can record. any recommendations?

Author:   MRN0B0DY
Date:   Oct 28, 11 at 8:20am (PST)
What is Overclocking?

Author:   Pritstick
Date:   Nov 09, 11 at 9:25pm (PST)
quote hiigaran
okay i got the webcam - now i need a program that can record. any recommendations?
You could try this. The non-commercial version is free.

quote MRN0B0DY
What is Overclocking?
You can increase the clock rate (speed) of a processor by altering settings. It can make your computer faster, but it could be dangerous to both your CPU and mobo if you don't know what you are doing. GPUs can be overclocked as well. You should ask other people if you're still interested; I'm definitely no expert.

quote harbin91
Back again. So I'm now near enough settled on the build, but one question is that I've been looking at the new AMD FX8120. Was considering it aswell, until I found reviews and saw that it was considered inferior to the X6, and is beaten in performance by the i5 2600k. Question is now, I can pick up an X6 1100T for around £60 more than the X4. Would the £60 extra be worth two cores? Would two cores make a difference?

I shouldn't need to alter anything else of the build if I do, right? I've checked the motherboard and that is fine with an X6.
Depends what the build is for. Some applications benefit more from extra cores than others. This chart (with mostly synthetic benchmarks) shows little improvement for the hex core chip over the quad.

quote harbin91
Side note, can someone explain how RAM performance is worked out? Only that from what I can see the main things that affect how good RAM is is the latency timings and the RAM Speed. How do these affect how good RAM is as I've seen RAM with a slower speed but have a lower latency time. I'm not exactly sure how you work out which latency is better:
    E.G. 9-9-9-24, 7-8-7-24, 8-8-8-21...

quote masterslair.com
1st number CAS Latency (tCL) – This is the most important memory timing. CAS stands for Column Address Strobe. If a row has already been selected, it tells us how many clock cycles we’ll have to wait for a result (after sending a column address to the RAM controller).
2nd number Row Address (RAS) to Column Address (CAS) Delay (tRCD) – Once we send the memory controller a row address, we’ll have to wait this many cycles before accessing one of the row’s columns. So, if a row hasn’t been selected, this means we’ll have to wait tRCD + tCL cycles to get our result from the RAM.
3rd number Row Precharge Time (tRP) – If we already have a row selected, we’ll have to wait this number of cycles before selecting a different row. This means it will take tRP + tRCD + tCL cycles to access the data in a different row.
4th number Row Active Time (tRAS) – This is the minimum number of cycles that a row has to be active for to ensure we’ll have enough time to access the information that’s in it. This usually needs to be greater than or equal to the sum of the previous three latencies (tRAS = tCL + tRCD + tRP).
Essentially, the timings are in order of importance

Date:   Nov 11, 11 at 2:34am (PST)
The two exhaust fans arrived today, both cheap Casecom LED fans. Whilst the blue LED could have been brighter on the top of the case (it's position doesn't help) it's amazing how much different its actually made, since it sits just above the heatsink. The CPU temp has dropped by around 10°c to a cool 28°c, which I'm absolutely happy with, since it now means the heatsink doesn't have to run flat out and that the computer is nice and quiet.

Only downside was installing the buggers (in fact I've only the one installed), because the mounting holes on the fans haven't been made for screws in mind (despite the fans coming with them). It also means that the current fan, whilst secure enough, isn't fully fitted against the case.

Still, well pleased since it means that I won't have to hunt for a quieter heatsink.

EDIT: A closer look at Speccy, shows around a 10°c temperature drop around the entire computer. Amazing what one bit of exhaust fan can do. Hopefully the other exhausts and the other two intakes will drop it even further.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.