Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: General Discussion 11 again: Now with twice the enchanting musk - page 78

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/17/t1675612-general-discussion-11-again-with-twice-enchanting-musk/78.htm

Author:   harbin
Date:   Sep 11, 12 at 2:13pm (PST)
Subject:   re: General Discussion 11 again: Now with twice the enchanting musk
-------------------------------------------
quote hiigaran
cant you just disable that stuff? besides, media player classic is all you need!
Media Player Classic can't play Blurays can it?

Author:   VeGiTAX2
Date:   Sep 11, 12 at 6:11pm (PST)
MPC and VLC can both do it with the right plugin files and optional files. Although in the case of VLC I know you have to do some bypass methods to read the encrypted discs.

Date:   Sep 11, 12 at 7:42pm (PST)
Haswell gets covered at IDF, more details coming after the show wraps up

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/09/12/haswell_modularity/

IDF 2012 Intel has unveiled details of its new "Haswell" microarchitecture, and promises that it will deliver greatly improved compute and graphics performance, drastically lower power requirements, and developer-friendly improvements when chips based on it appear next year, branded as Intel 4th Generation Core Processors.

"The great thing about this one is that it was designed with mobility in mind," said David Perlmutter, the general manager of Intel's Architecture Group, during his opening keynote at the Intel Developer Forum (IDF) on Tuesday in San Francisco.

That may have been one guiding emphasis of Haswell's development, but during the deep-tech sessions that followed Perlmutter's keynote, a series of Intel techies delved much deeper into Haswell's innards, and revealed details that show the new architecture spreading throughout Intel's product line into products ranging from tablets to servers.

"Haswell will be the foundation of a family of products, just like 'Sandy Bridge' and 'Ivy Bridge' were," said Ronak Singhal, Intel Senior Principal Engineer," at one of those sessions.

"The first thing to keep in mind about Haswell is that it is a converged core," he said. "Converged core means that we scale products that go all the way from high-end servers all the way down to low-power form factors like tablets, using the same core."

The same core means that developers can apply the same techniques to each iteration of the Haswell chip, since at their most basic levels their arcitectures are in common. "The important thing from a developer's perspective," Singhal said, "is that since we have a converged architecture across all of these segments, you can develop and optimize once, and then scale back across these other products."

Intel Fellow Per Hammarlund agreed. "You might scratch your head and think we're nuts, trying to have the same core from tablets to servers," he told the assembled übergeeks. "But in reality, if you think about it, the power levels that you have with just a few cores in a tablet at a very low power are very simlar to the power and power-efficiency requirements you have in tens of cores in a high-end server."

Of course, as important as developers are to Intel, the company also knows that a converged core architecture adds to their own bottom line. "It's actually good for us from a stingy point of view," said Hammarlund, referring to the advantages of the modularity inherent in a converged-core architecture.

Knob-twisting for fun and profit
Singhal noted that Haswell's modularity makes it easier and thus cheaper for Intel to span the new microarchitecture over such a broad range of platforms. When discussing the "knobs" of modularity – those things that can be changed without changing the microarchitecture itself – he first mentioned the number of cores, which will be 2 to 4 in the first client-level Haswells due next year.

Client-based chips were all he wanted to be specific about on Tuesday concerning core counts. "We're not going to talk today about the server-based products," he said, "but on the server products we obviously are going to have products that go to much greater than four cores."

Exactly how much greater is "much greater" we'll have to leave for another day.

Graphics are another knob. A high-performance desktop machine designed for high-frame-rate 3D gaming or multiple-stream video encoding and decoding will have higher graphics needs than will a Haswell chip churning away in some data center, serving web pages. Haswell's graphics will be available in three levels: your basic GT1, mainstream GT2, and double-your-pleasure, (almost) double-your-transistors GT3.

Other modularity knobs include cache sizes and power-level choices – both idle and active – that will determine what interconnects a Haswell chips has or what different types of platforms, such as traditional or power-optimized, to which a specific Haswell chip might be targeted.

"Modularity gives us the ability to build products that are more finely tuned to certain form factors," Hammarlund said. "That agility is great for us, and it's also good for the form-factor innovation that it helps drive."

The IDF Haswell sessions went into great detail about the compute cores themselves and the different modular graphics cores that the chips will choose among, plus their improved power-management capabilities, upgraded media capabilities, new developer-friendly capabilities, and the like.

If all that Intel promised during Tuesday's sessions comes to pass, Haswell chips should not only provide better performance than its Ivy Bridge forebears, but do so at power levels which point to future chips forcing Intel's Atom line from its client-device home, and making the li'l fellows welcome only in microservers.

The Reg promises a deep, detailed dive into all of Haswell's capabilities and architectural goodness in a few days, after IDF draws to a close and we can sit back and grok all of the Haswell microarchitecture's complexities, advantages, and advances.

Author:   Ren of Heavens
Date:   Sep 12, 12 at 4:55am (PST)
quote harbin91
quote hiigaran
cant you just disable that stuff? besides, media player classic is all you need!
I have to decrypt it through AnyDVD HD, but then you loose menu access in MPC.

I use MPC/AnyDVD HD for my imports, and WinDVD if I need the menus working.

quote VeGiTAX2
MPC and VLC can both do it with the right plugin files and optional files. Although in the case of VLC I know you have to do some bypass methods to read the encrypted discs.
Is there another way of doing it in MPC?

Date:   Sep 12, 12 at 5:12am (PST)
quote Ren of Heavens
quote harbin91
quote hiigaran
I have to decrypt it through AnyDVD HD, but then you loose menu access in MPC.

I use MPC/AnyDVD HD for my imports, and WinDVD if I need the menus working.

quote VeGiTAX2
Is there another way of doing it in MPC?
Reason why I have PowerDVD as my main DVD/BD player. MPC I use as my default player for opening single music files, or video files. iTunes and Spotify are used as my media players for listening to multiple tracks. Don't use VLC though.

Not sure if the blurays are encrypted but my brother has a ripping program that removes the encryption. Just that the amount of films I have, it would take atleast an entire 3TB HDD for it all to be ripped fully (with softcoded subs) in surround sound (where possible) on a high video quality.

Author:   hiigaran
Date:   Sep 12, 12 at 6:12am (PST)
i love winamp for my music because i can just make winamp as large at the window title of your internet browser. then i just stick it on one of my screens. i dont remember if i used it for videos though. been too long.

Author:   Liverpool_96
Date:   Sep 12, 12 at 8:29am (PST)
hello ladies, I have a query which needs answered. We have a crappy desktop and a laptop. We're thinking about replacing the desktop with another laptop. However I wouldn't mind upgrading and rebuilding our desktop. However, today I was on eBay checking the daily deals and found this. How does it compare to our current laptop (an i7 Asus laptop)? Would it be a better option to invest that money in rebuilding a desktop? thanks!

Date:   Sep 12, 12 at 8:47am (PST)
low-mid end performance for gaming.

also, i7 asus tells me nothing about your laptop. whats the graphics processor and what speed does the CPU run at?

what are your desktops specs?

Date:   Sep 12, 12 at 9:07am (PST)
quote hiigaran
low-mid end performance for gaming.

also, i7 asus tells me nothing about your laptop. whats the graphics processor and what speed does the CPU run at?

what are your desktops specs?
all I need the laptop for re: gaming is Football Manager.

where can I see my laptop specs? desktop is AMD ATHLON 64 PROCESSOR 3800+ - 1GB Memory.

Date:   Sep 12, 12 at 9:08am (PST)
go to start and type in dxdiag. take a screenshot of the first tab, and the display tab.

FBM is CPU intensive, iirc, so if you dont play any other games, then i dont think you will need a powerful video card.

Author:   The Slayer
Date:   Sep 12, 12 at 9:20am (PST)
Well for the past week or so I haven't been able to tag any threads due to some noob's (aka Ren of Heavens) javascript breaking the forum. I had Sonic Flash fix it and tagged everything that wasn't tagged and while I was at it, I made it a requirement to use a tag when starting a new thread.

Blame Ren of Noobens for the forum looking weird with half tags/half no tags . Not that anyone said anything about it

My next project will be to add a list of all the tags in the header. Not sure what else to do with the header, but it needs something...

Date:   Sep 12, 12 at 9:24am (PST)
quote hiigaran
go to start and type in dxdiag. take a screenshot of the first tab, and the display tab.

FBM is CPU intensive, iirc, so if you dont play any other games, then i dont think you will need a powerful video card.
FM doesn't need graphics, I'm not worried about graphics, just running it on a fast processor. I also don't have the "dxdiag" in my start seasrch.

Author:   Sonic Flash
Date:   Sep 12, 12 at 9:32am (PST)
Don't worry, I'll break something else later I'm sure.

Date:   Sep 12, 12 at 9:54am (PST)
A graphics card is only needed for FM if you plan on using the 3D match engine.

Hiigaran that ASUS laptop carries an AMD Fusion A6.

quote Liverpool_96
quote hiigaran

FM doesn't need graphics, I'm not worried about graphics, just running it on a fast processor. I also don't have the "dxdiag" in my start seasrch.
Type it into run.

If you don't see that on your start menu, press win+R.

Date:   Sep 12, 12 at 10:01am (PST)
Liverpool_96 The laptop you linked is a bit slower than the i7 you're probably running, only recently with the new A10's did they start getting comparable performance on the CPU side. Visuals give you a 7670 which should run it fine and most other lesser intensive games.

hiigaran dxdiag isn't going to help anything, he just said a 3800 with 1GB, he'd have to build a new system entirely because it's likely the PSU wouldn't be compatible and you really can't find many part vendors for 939 anymore and even if you could he'd max out at an FX60 which still wouldn't be comparable to current tech. Short of going with a fusion chip, board, psu, ram there's no quick upgrade path there.

I don't really see anything wrong with the Acer you linked up in the specs and it might help to have some of the UK builders chime in on cost of this vs cost of a comparable budget build because I know component prices go all over.

Also Ren of Heavens I had this file saved for when I put a drive in my system >>

How to set up Media Player Classic to play Blu-Ray discs
Select View -> Options -> External filters
Add filter "Haali Media Splitter (AR)", Set merit 00900000, Set Prefer
Add Filter "ffdshow audio decoder", Set merit 00700000
Add filter "cyberlink H.264/AVC Decoder", Set merit 00900400
Add Filter "Sonic Cinemaster Audio Decoder 4.3.0", Set merit 00805000
Add Filter "ffdshow video decoder", Set merit 00800000 (late fix to stop ffdshow taking over from cyberlink)
Add Filter "Sonic Cinemaster Video Decoder", Set merit 00700000 (late fix to stop Cinemaster Video taking over from ffdshow video)
  • Add Filter "Cyberlink Video/SP Decoder (pdvd7), set merit "prefer" (Try this for some hardware acceleration in Windows XP)
  • Add Filter "Nvidia Video Decoder", Set merit "Prefer" (block cyberlink) (try this for hardware acceleration in Windows XP/Vista if you have Nvidia Purevideo)
Select View -> Options -> Internal filters
Deselect any mpeg, matroska from the source list
Deselect any AC3, mpeg from the transport filter list

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.