Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: General Discussion 11 again: Now with twice the enchanting musk - page 7

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/17/t1675612-general-discussion-11-again-with-twice-enchanting-musk/7.htm

Author:   hiigaran
Date:   Sep 30, 11 at 7:28pm (PST)
Subject:   re: General Discussion 11 again: Now with twice the enchanting musk
-------------------------------------------
angle grinder? doubt it. too bulky to work. or rather, it is possible, but it would be pretty damn tricky, and you would need a disc that is as small as possible, but still able to get the job done without the rest of the grinder getting blocked by the rest of the case panel.

Author:   Ren of Heavens
Date:   Oct 01, 11 at 5:07pm (PST)
Gonna quote myself for lazyness I've drilled out an 80mm (Drilled metal rather than an open hole) to an open 120mm on my case.

Another alternative to the holesaw would be a jigsaw with a fine blade for use on metal.

quote Ren of Heavens
For the window, a dremel (rotary tool) is probably the easiest way. Either with a routing bit for metal, or carefully with a cutoff disc (Fiberglass reinforced are best, the cheap thin ones explode way too easily).

You can also cut fan holes with the dremel, but it's slow hard work. A holesaw can give you a perfect circle if done right, but can also go horribly wrong if it skips about. It should really be done with a pillar drill, but you can use a hand drill if you're careful. You may be able to get away with a cheap wood/plastic holesaw, but you'll blunt it very quickly. Ones for metal cutting (Usually marked as HSS bi-metal saws) will cut a lot better, and retain their edges, but cost more.

How to drill a 4½" hole properly:

How to kill yourself:

quote Ren of Heavens
Was previously 80mm, but the shroud didn't even line up with the case so had almost no airflow. Lost the shroud and enlarged to 120mm

Previously:

Now:

This message was edited on 2011-10-01T10:23:56-07:00.

Author:   harbin
Date:   Oct 01, 11 at 9:34pm (PST)
That second video has been removed by the user

With the case being in such a shit condition though, as long as the hole is functional, I don't quite care about jaggedy edges. Just a hole big enough to provide sufficient airflow.

Date:   Oct 01, 11 at 9:56pm (PST)
Aww It was truly horrifying, it was someone making a guide (Which they seem to have renamed based on the preview) showing people how to cut a case fan. They didn't have the case secured, all the components were still in the case, they'd used a cheap shit holesaw for wood/plastic only, no cutting fluid, and their drill was set way too fast.

The result was about 10 minutes of him struggling, drill skidding all over the place, then as he was putting too much pressure on it it kept snagging and whipping round the drill into him In the end he was left only slightly injured, the insides of his PC covered in tiny shards of metal, and a right mess of a hole with scratches all over the case. And he was proud of it

If you're short on tools then the cheapest way would be to drill loads of holes in a circle, slightly smaller than you need, then bash the middle part out, and file the edge that's left down to the right size.

Date:   Oct 01, 11 at 9:59pm (PST)
wait, drilling a case with the hardware in it? thats stupidity for you. im sure those shards of metal would have also been a shorting hazard.

Date:   Oct 05, 11 at 6:33pm (PST)
ill bump here for more visibility, but im having problems running the GPU client of FAH. it used to work normally, but i had to stop it quite a while ago because my system performance just goes down the drain. i cant figure out whats the cause. any ideas?

Date:   Oct 05, 11 at 6:44pm (PST)
Doesn't the GPU client only use one CPU core? I thought you had a multicore system now.

Date:   Oct 05, 11 at 6:52pm (PST)
i do. thats why im confused.

EDIT: and im running the SMP client without any problem

Date:   Oct 05, 11 at 6:53pm (PST)
Weird, everything else like RAM and disk usage normal?

Date:   Oct 05, 11 at 6:57pm (PST)
yep.

Author:   Gravity
Date:   Oct 06, 11 at 1:31am (PST)
Steve Jobs Died. Salute.

Hope that's all credible.

Author:   ParanahJoe
Date:   Oct 07, 11 at 1:18am (PST)
quote Ren of Heavens
Aww It was truly horrifying, it was someone making a guide (Which they seem to have renamed based on the preview) showing people how to cut a case fan. They didn't have the case secured, all the components were still in the case, they'd used a cheap shit holesaw for wood/plastic only, no cutting fluid, and their drill was set way too fast.

The result was about 10 minutes of him struggling, drill skidding all over the place, then as he was putting too much pressure on it it kept snagging and whipping round the drill into him In the end he was left only slightly injured, the insides of his PC covered in tiny shards of metal, and a right mess of a hole with scratches all over the case. And he was proud of it
I remember watching that video when it was first posted on here. I must of laughed for 20 minutes after it finished. Buddy was practically stepping on the top to keep it from bouncing off the ground.

Date:   Oct 07, 11 at 10:47pm (PST)
so ive still got all the parts from my old computer...is there any website/service that i could make money off by using that old computer? ive considered websites before, but ive never known what i could do with them...basically im lacking ideas.

EDIT: also, unrelated, but i need a webcam of mid to good quality. suggestions? im just gonna grab it off ebay, but i still need some models to look at.

This message was edited on 2011-10-08T11:56:33-07:00.

Author:   ParanahJoe
Date:   Oct 13, 11 at 12:41am (PST)
quote hiigaran
EDIT: also, unrelated, but i need a webcam of mid to good quality. suggestions? im just gonna grab it off ebay, but i still need some models to look at.
Just go with something that claims HD on it. A webcam is a webcam really, from my experience. $80 or so will buy you a nice one with a clean picture.

Date:   Oct 13, 11 at 7:01am (PST)
they have supposedly HD webcams for 5 bucks on ebay. now its not that im going to downright dismiss it, but...its a webcam...not like its a PSU or anything...in any case, too good to be true?

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.